What's everyone reading these days?

Johnny Mnemonic is one of the short stories in Burning Chrome, unfortunately the Keanu Reeves movie based on the story was so bad it ruined any chances of Neuromancer and the rest of the trilogy becoming films.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJmKLzmPMso

Horrible, horrible acting by Keanu....

They are all great stories though....

Ha, oh I agree, it was a terrible performance. I loved the short story though and now that I know what it's from, I can read the rest.

Currently sitting on my bedside table - some stuff that a lot of you have probably already read, judging by the lists upthread, which contain some stuff I definitely need to look at - thanks very much for this thread, Erin!:

Umberto Eco - Foucault's Pendulum: A book that's about books about conspiracy theories, and the people that believe in them, and the people that don't, and how one group can become the other - and the meta only takes off from there. A bit of a mindfuck (okay, a lot of a mindfuck), but the history geek in me thrills at this sort of thing. Is certainly a lot less accessible than Da Vinci Code (to which it's frequently compared, and deals with a lot of the same themes), but I definitely found it worth a try and am enjoying it so far.

Steven Erikson - Toll the Hounds (Malazan series, book 8): I remain a sucker for long fantasy series (and in a pinch, they could be piled against a bedroom door to keep people from walking in on me when I was a teenager. ;)).

This series, written by a Canadian anthropologist/archaeologist , is probably one of the better ones out there, especially if you're into getting the sense of a world that's existed long before the events of the series (possibly to do with the author's training - he knows what ancient history leaves in a world, he knows what ancient peoples behaved like).

As a bonus for anyone familiar with the genre (especially bitter Robert Jordan fans), it actually appears to be on schedule to wrap up on time - out of a scheduled ten books, nine have already been written (the ninth is currently only out in Britain.).

Douglas Coupland - jPod: Another Canadian author, but this one is meant more of a bizarre sendup of modern tech culture, and it certainly succeeds in that. Probably not for everyone (which might be why the CBC's TV adaptation failed miserably?), but I've definitely found it funny and enjoyable so far.

Neil Gaiman - Fragile Things, Smoke and Mirrors - Gaiman is one of my favourite authors - yes, Erin, even American Gods :P- , so I picked up these two short-story collections on a whim (though I haven't gotten to them yet, sadly, and so can't say too much!)

Currently sitting on my bedside table - some stuff that a lot of you have probably already read, judging by the lists upthread, which contain some stuff I definitely need to look at - thanks very much for this thread, Erin!:

Umberto Eco - Foucault's Pendulum: A book that's about books about conspiracy theories, and the people that believe in them, and the people that don't, and how one group can become the other - and the meta only takes off from there. A bit of a mindfuck (okay, a lot of a mindfuck), but the history geek in me thrills at this sort of thing. Is certainly a lot less accessible than Da Vinci Code (to which it's frequently compared, and deals with a lot of the same themes), but I definitely found it worth a try and am enjoying it so far.

Steven Erikson - Toll the Hounds (Malazan series, book 8): I remain a sucker for long fantasy series (and in a pinch, they could be piled against a bedroom door to keep people from walking in on me when I was a teenager. ;)).

This series, written by a Canadian anthropologist/archaeologist , is probably one of the better ones out there, especially if you're into getting the sense of a world that's existed long before the events of the series (possibly to do with the author's training - he knows what ancient history leaves in a world, he knows what ancient peoples behaved like).

As a bonus for anyone familiar with the genre (especially bitter Robert Jordan fans), it actually appears to be on schedule to wrap up on time - out of a scheduled ten books, nine have already been written (the ninth is currently only out in Britain.).

Douglas Coupland - jPod: Another Canadian author, but this one is meant more of a bizarre sendup of modern tech culture, and it certainly succeeds in that. Probably not for everyone (which might be why the CBC's TV adaptation failed miserably?), but I've definitely found it funny and enjoyable so far.

Neil Gaiman - Fragile Things, Smoke and Mirrors - Gaiman is one of my favourite authors - yes, Erin, even American Gods :P- , so I picked up these two short-story collections on a whim (though I haven't gotten to them yet, sadly, and so can't say too much!)

As someone with a degree in archaeology, we can never "know" how ancient peoples behaved, we can only make educated speculations :)

However, I'm a huge fan of fantasy/sci fi, so I'll definitely check it out.

I'm reading this for class, but it's surprisingly interesting:

Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia by John Dickie.

As someone with a degree in archaeology, we can never "know" how ancient peoples behaved, we can only make educated speculations :)

A good point, of course!

I think I meant more that a lot of fantasy likes to throw around really large spans of time like a guy boasting about his endowment, and doesn't really think about what that many years actually means, can actually leave behind. Erikson does, and it shows in his setting.

Johnny Mnemonic is one of the short stories in Burning Chrome, unfortunately the Keanu Reeves movie based on the story was so bad it ruined any chances of Neuromancer and the rest of the trilogy becoming films.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJmKLzmPMso

Horrible, horrible acting by Keanu....

They are all great stories though....

Oooh, I adore everything by William Gibson. Neuromancer and Pattern Recognition are my absolute favourite though! As much as I agree about how bad the movie version of Johnny Mnemonic is, I must admit to owning the DVD *blush*

And the Wachowski brothers were quoted in the past saying that they were heavily influenced by Neuromancer when creating the Matrix movies (well, that book and a bunch of other things).

Right now I am reading Shutter Island (about to be released as a movie with DiCaprio) and my Foreign Policy magazine (I just re-started my magazine subscription so I am super happy again).

I will not deny or admit that I own Johnny Mnemonic as well (no Sally Shears in the movie...WTF?)! I have been a Gibson fan from waaaaay back....He runs a really great blog that he forces himself to ignore when writing (otherwise he blogs and doesn't write). Read through the archive for some amazing thoughts, he is one of the most intelligent people I have ever experienced, I have been lucky enough to meet him a couple of times...surreal meeting one of your literary Gods.

http://www.williamgibsonbooks.com/blog/blog.asp

Oooh, I adore everything by William Gibson. Neuromancer and Pattern Recognition are my absolute favourite though! As much as I agree about how bad the movie version of Johnny Mnemonic is, I must admit to owning the DVD *blush*

I will not deny or admit that I own Johnny Mnemonic as well (no Sally Shears in the movie...WTF?)! I have been a Gibson fan from waaaaay back....He runs a really great blog that he forces himself to ignore when writing (otherwise he blogs and doesn't write). Read through the archive for some amazing thoughts, he is one of the most intelligent people I have ever experienced, I have been lucky enough to meet him a couple of times...surreal meeting one of your literary Gods.

Apparently they couldn't have Sally (or Molly) in the movie because the rights were owned to potential Neuromancer movies. *sigh* Is it sad that I know that?

Oh.my.gosh!!!! Wow, that's awesome that you've met him before. I can only imagine how fascinating that conversation would have been. I would just listen in awe - shaking my head in agreement to whatever he says.

And I think he looks pretty much the same. The only major difference is that the first photo from the original book covers is more "marketed" towards target groups. The second is a more natural headshot.

I will read through the blog - I haven't read it in a few years! Thanks :)

Given i live to work and work to live it is not surprising that i am reading "How Soccer Explains the World", anyone wanting to capitalize on globalization and wants a good laugh must read this book.

A smart man discovers a cure for the common cold;

A smarter man buys the cure and invests in Nyquil. :fes:

And the Wachowski brothers were quoted in the past saying that they were heavily influenced by Neuromancer when creating the Matrix movies (well, that book and a bunch of other things).

Right now I am reading Shutter Island (about to be released as a movie with DiCaprio) and my Foreign Policy magazine (I just re-started my magazine subscription so I am super happy again).

Hahahaha, I own it too.

Walden by Henry David Thoreau

Catch 22 by Joseh Heller

Atomic Lobster by Tim Dorsey

The Odyssey by Homer

and when I can, I reread everything by Douglas Adams (Dirk Gently books especially)

Catch 22 by Joseh Heller

The Odyssey by Homer

and when I can, I reread everything by Douglas Adams (Dirk Gently books especially)

Now, don't everyone freak out on me, but I've never been a fan of Douglas Adams, and yes, I've actually read some of his stuff.

I prefer my sci-fi depressing and dystopic.

I'm definitely with you on this one Erin! If it has a dystopian theme I'm reading/watching it :)

Now, don't everyone freak out on me, but I've never been a fan of Douglas Adams, and yes, I've actually read some of his stuff.

Heretic! Burn her! :P

Jokes aside, have you ever read the Gap Cycle by Stephen Donaldson? A more depressing set of sci-fi I have not yet found. (And Donaldson does love his difficult-to-sympathise-with characters - see Thomas Covenant)

and my Foreign Policy magazine (I just re-started my magazine subscription so I am super happy again).

Ooh, I definitely need to do that, thanks for the reminder. I had a subscription while I was finishing my BA, and it's always been an immensely useful and interesting magazine.

*sigh* Do you know how few people I've met who actually even know what the Foreign Policy magazine is? That's awesome by the way. And yes it is a fascinating magazine.

Ooh, I definitely need to do that, thanks for the reminder. I had a subscription while I was finishing my BA, and it's always been an immensely useful and interesting magazine.

Heretic! Burn her! :P

Jokes aside, have you ever read the Gap Cycle by Stephen Donaldson? A more depressing set of sci-fi I have not yet found. (And Donaldson does love his difficult-to-sympathise-with characters - see Thomas Covenant)

I am mostly with Erin, I have great memories of Hitchhikers (especially the text games) but could never get into his other stuff. As far as classic sci-fi writers go give me Heinlin or Philip K. Dick anyday. As far as modern scifi I am a huge David Weber fan (Honor Harrington).

Yeah Thomas Covenent was a serious SOB as a character...I find Donaldson to be hit or miss, I may try the Gap Cycle as I love some depressing futuristic fiction. C.J. Cheryh is a great scifi novelist as well (and really prolific), focuses a lot on the human psychology aspect of the scenarios...

As far as modern scifi I am a huge David Weber fan (Honor Harrington).

Ah, good old David Weber. I actually just finished rereading some of his books last week - the man needs an editor like nobody's business, but the overarching story still draws me in even if I can just skim over all the info dumping. I'll miss the Honor books when they're done (if they ever end. :D)

I never actually finished the Covenant books because Thomas irritated me so much, so I guess I'd call that a Donaldson miss. In general, I tend to read more fantasy than sci-fi - and yes, I prefer the darker, more political variants of both, but I see Adams as something like a sci-fi version of Pratchett - a sort of "meta" version of the genre, and outside the normal framework. Maybe I'm just addicted to satire and can't deprive myself of it.

Hos Hookers Call Girls and Rent Boys: Professionals Writing on Life, Love, Work and Money - Edited by David Henry Sterry and RJ Martin

Unrepentant Whore: The Collected Works of Scarlot Harlot bi Carol Leigh

Both are amazing and should be required reading for anyone considering a stint in the sex industry!

*sigh* Do you know how few people I've met who actually even know what the Foreign Policy magazine is? That's awesome by the way. And yes it is a fascinating magazine.

Speaking of fascinating magazines, there is a great one about the sex industry that is surprisingly not that well-known: $pread. You can get it at Venus Envy. I'm trying to talk the Women's Resource Centre at Ottawa U into getting a subscription.

Foreign Policy magazine sounds like something my best friend would read (he's doing his master's in political science).

Hos Hookers Call Girls and Rent Boys: Professionals Writing on Life, Love, Work and Money - Edited by David Henry Sterry and RJ Martin

Unrepentant Whore: The Collected Works of Scarlot Harlot bi Carol Leigh

Both are amazing and should be required reading for anyone considering a stint in the sex industry!

I love that book! A friend of mine (Juliet November) has a piece in it.

Ah, good old David Weber. I actually just finished rereading some of his books last week - the man needs an editor like nobody's business, but the overarching story still draws me in even if I can just skim over all the info dumping. I'll miss the Honor books when they're done (if they ever end. :D)

I never actually finished the Covenant books because Thomas irritated me so much, so I guess I'd call that a Donaldson miss. In general, I tend to read more fantasy than sci-fi - and yes, I prefer the darker, more political variants of both, but I see Adams as something like a sci-fi version of Pratchett - a sort of "meta" version of the genre, and outside the normal framework. Maybe I'm just addicted to satire and can't deprive myself of it.

The best satire is oldschool: Juvenal all the way!

Having finished the books I was reading I was digging through my storage closet and found my pile of shakespeare books. I started collecting these in a neat hardcover format (thin leather bound series) when I was 18 and I am missing about 7 volumes. I grabbed a tragedy and a comedy and I am reading Julius Caeser (or The Life and Death of Julies Caeser) and The Taming of the Shrew.

I forgot how much I like reading his plays in unedited old english...almost brings you back in time while reading and the genius of the author shines through.

Like I said...a weird choice :wink:

Guest s******ecan****

Catch 22 by Joseh Heller

The Odyssey by Homer

Thats quite a buffet you got going there Dirk...sounds like the literary version of the condemned's last meal

I am mostly with Erin, I have great memories of Hitchhikers (especially the text games) but could never get into his other stuff. As far as classic sci-fi writers go give me Heinlin or Philip K. Dick anyday. As far as modern scifi I am a huge David Weber fan (Honor Harrington).

Yeah Thomas Covenent was a serious SOB as a character...I find Donaldson to be hit or miss, I may try the Gap Cycle as I love some depressing futuristic fiction. C.J. Cheryh is a great scifi novelist as well (and really prolific), focuses a lot on the human psychology aspect of the scenarios...

Philip K Dick is one of my favourite writers, right up there with John Wyndham (The Day of the Triffids) and Heinlein (I actually use the phrase grokking in real life).

Speaking of Heinlein and horrible movie adaptations of books. I read Starship Troopers for the first time...ohh...about 20 years ago and have re-read it a few times. When the asstacular movie came out I was excited, then so pissed once I saw it. The only thing shared between the amazing, dark and brutal book and the movie was the bugs, all else was pure garbage.

Philip K Dick is one of my favourite writers, right up there with John Wyndham (The Day of the Triffids) and Heinlein (I actually use the phrase grokking in real life).

The only thing shared between the amazing, dark and brutal book and the movie was the bugs, all else was pure garbage.

hear, hear.....the animated series is actually pretty good as its own story.