WARNING: GEEK THREAD! Favorite Superman movie/tv adaptation

Favorite Superman adaptation  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Superman adaptation

• Superman movie serials from the 1940's (Kirk Alyn)
    • Adventures of Superman - tv series from the 1950's (George Reeves)
    • Superman: The Movie - 1978 - (Christopher Reeve)
    • Superboy (tv series - late 80's)
    • Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (90's
    • Superman Returns (2006)
    • Smallville
    • Man Of Steel

I wanted to post this in my Geek social group but apparently I can't create polls in a group.

With Man of Steel having been released last week and currently being all the buzz right now, and with Supes officially turning 75 this year, I thought it would be interesting to see what is everyone's favorite live action Superman adaptation from throughout the many years.

(if talking about Man of Steel please avoid spoilers as to the plot for the time being...it only came out a week ago and many may not have seen it yet)

I saw Man Of Steel for the first time last night. And I did really enjoy it! Just as I've enjoyed every Superman adaptation on some level. However for me, none hold a candle to the Christopher Reeve-Richard Donner movie. The younger folks may think it is rather dated and hokey....and they're probably right lol. But I'm of that generation. It's what I grew up with so yeah...nostalgia and hard headed stubbornness probably play a big part in my decision lol.

So what is your favorite Superman and why?

I was a teen when the Christopher Reeves Superman came out and I loved it! Every time I think of Superman as a movie I think of Christopher Reeves. But I did not choose that one as my favorite.

My decision was also based on nostalgia and the memories that pop into my head of when I first was introduced to the super hero. Even though I was watching reruns this is what I remember most and what Superman really represents to me.

• Like 1

Guest realnicehat

Although it may not be fair not having seen the new one I voted Christopher Reeve.

Even like this I still see Superman:

The tears, the applause, the amount of respect that pours out of that audience gets me every time.

Awww, I guess I'm not geek enough to take part in this but, but, but the new superman movie looks like it's going to be great.

Guest C**Tra****er

Christopher Reeve will always be Superman to me, but I was a huge fan of Smallville. Very sorry that that series ended.

I was 8 years old when the Christopher Reeve came out so for me growing up with those movies makes voting in the pole very easy. I never quite took to the later Superman versions. I do admit that that as a child I saw reruns of the 50's tv series and remember enjoying them at the time but haven't seen them since and would be curious to watch a few episodes again, although don't know if I would still enjoy them as much as an adult.

• Like 1

The Christopher Reeve adaptation holds great memories for me as well. The fact that John Williams did the score is awesome. I never realized until I revisited some old favorites as an adult just how many damn scores he did for movies I adore!

Looking forward to checking out the new one tomorrow! Supes is LONG overdue for a really great big screen adaptation IMO

In honor of the Reeve era I give you all this silly slab of thrashy fun :)

In the court of general Zod

• Like 1

Although superman was never my favourite I loved Dean Cain in the tv show: Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.

As a kid he was the first Superman I could remember.

I can't wait to see Man of Steel.

• Like 1

Christopher Reeve will always be Superman to me, but I was a huge fan of Smallville. Very sorry that that series ended.

I was also a huge Smallville fan. For me, I think it rates second after the Christopher Reeve movie. It definitely had its faults (maybe a little too teeny bopper at times lol) but the origin story has always been my favorite part of Superman lore. And that show was just one big long origin story. I also loved how they managed to create a perfect mish mash of the comic book mythology and the '78 movie mythology. However I'm not sorry it ended....I think it ended exactly where it needed to. (it was on for 10 years after all). I think pushing it any further would have been a stretch.

Guest C**Tra****er
I was also a huge Smallville fan. For me, I think it rates second after the Christopher Reeve movie. It definitely had its faults (maybe a little too teeny bopper at times lol) but the origin story has always been my favorite part of Superman lore. And that show was just one big long origin story. I also loved how they managed to create a perfect mish mash of the comic book mythology and the '78 movie mythology. However I'm not sorry it ended....I think it ended exactly where it needed to. (it was on for 10 years after all). I think pushing it any further would have been a stretch.

I agree that it did end where it was envisioned to end - and very few shows have an opportunity to do that anymore. I'm only sorry that it ended as it was my favorite show :) And absolutely a bit teeny bopper at times!