12 Years Ago Today

We all remember where we were September 11th. A dozen years later, the wound has left behind a scar to remind of us of that sombre day of ash and tears, where history was forced in a new, darker direction at the expense of nearly 3000 lives. Sons and Daughters. Mothers and Fathers. Wives and Husbands. Family. Friend. Hero. Today, each and every one of us should spare a thought to remember them.

Edited by Lowdark
Spelling
  • Like 6

I was in Los Angeles on business when my wife called and woke me up at 6:15 West Coast time to wish me a happy birthday and to tell me to turn on CNN. What followed for the next seven days is permanently etched in my memory. I was trapped in a country under attack.

Those first few hours were full of misinformation and fear. The anger came later. We were staying right next to LAX. So accustomed, were we, to the constant roar of take offs and landings that when the air space was closed we kinda freaked out. The silence on that Tuesday morning was deafening.

We who witnessed the act of terror were never the same and on that day most of us in the Western world lost a little of our innocence.

• Like 1

At first I felt disbelief. Then anger. At the time, I didn't see much difference between Canadians and Americans, so I felt solidarity. I almost joined the military to go fight in Afghanistan. I am not proud of some of the nasty things I said about Muslims back then; some I said to their faces.

But as time goes by and dominoes fall, truths become lies and lies become truths. It was certainly a crime of historic proportions, but perpetrated by whom?

• Like 1

I was in my truck waiting to go to work. PSAC had a picket line up

Heard about the first plane flying into the twin tower, disbelief but thought some horrible accident, nothing more, till the radio reported about the second plane. Then you knew it was a hijacking and terrorist attack.

Picket lines were down fast.

Now there are the horrors of the attack, not to mention lives lost of firefighters and police going in after the attack. And lets not forget the soldiers, sailors and airman and women who contributed to the war on terror. But here is something a little heartwarming

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/09/11/canada-sept11.html

RG

• Like 1

Guest a**4*

I was at work when a co-worker told me a plane hit the twin tower when I got home and saw it on tv shocked at what I was watching it was real

I remember I was watching Regis & Kelly ( morning talk show ) at the time. They interrupted the show to the news coverage of what had happened at the twin towers. I believe I was in shock, as I couldn't believe what I was seeing when the plane when into the first towers. As it went on and the second towers was hit, my shock turned to anger & grief for those poor souls in the plane and in the towers. I know it is a day that will be etched in my mind forever.

... history was forced in a new, darker direction at the expense of ...

... hundreds of thousands of lives. That day was just the first day of a very, very dark, violent, and slightly insane decade that followed from it.

I spare a thought for the thousands of innocents killed that day, and also for the hundreds of thousands who died needlessly in the cataclysm that followed it. The two cannot be separated; it would be like sighing "ah, poor Franz Ferdinand and his wife" every June 28, and leaving it there.

• Like 1

I remember I was on the way to the gym when the first attack happened. I did not have the radio on while I was driving so I knew nothing that was going on. When I arrived, everyone was huddled around the tv. People were talking amongt one another and speculating whether it was an accident or not.

What was really errie was I was running on the treadmill when the second plane hit. There was a silence in the gym and everyone just stopped what they were doing. Seeing the plane flying so low is an image that is forever burnt in my head.

North America was forever changed that day.

My cousin's daughter was a publishing company rep and had a reservation on the flight that went down in the field, she stayed home with the flu.

My cousin's daughter was a publishing company rep and had a reservation on the flight that went down in the field, she stayed home with the flu.

The world is indeed a small place. I have relatives in the United States. One is my cousin who was in the US Air Force, assigned to the Pentagon.

Just by chance his office and other's offices were having renovations done on them, so they actually worked out of an office building, not the actual Pentagon while renovation work was going on. He could have been killed except that they were doing renovations in his office area

And my second cousin, works as a manager in some company in Long Island. On 9/11 she had a meeting at the WTC. On her way to the meeting she received a call that the meeting was cancelled. Had the meeting not been cancelled she could have been killed

And finally, at work, a co-worker's daughter was touring in NYC. After the attacks he couldn't get a hold of his daughter for two days. Never seen a man so scared waiting for bad news, and when she finally got a hold of him, never saw a man so happy that his daughter was alive

RG

• Like 1