Control-Alt-Delete was a mistake, says Bill Gates

I'm actually a little surprised he said it was a mistake. To have 1 key instead of three to reboot your computer would be a mistake IMO. You can accidentally hit 1 key easily, you really have to want to do it to press three keys simultaneously.

• Like 1

Guest S*rca****sid

How different is having one key to a power button that we have now? Besides, if it's a Windows machine, it will ask you a hundred times... "Do you really want to shutdown?"

Well, the power button is not part of the keyboard, also, pretty sure if you hit ctl-alt-del twice it will reboot without asking.

I get your point though, wouldn't be the end of the world if it was 1 key.

Every laptop I've seen has a power button right next to the keyboard.

True, but it won't turn off the machine, you'll be asked if you want to shutdown.

Only way is to do it is a hard boot, hold for 5secs or so.

I think it is a good thing to have, could be doing work and then hit one button and lose everything...not good.

And to be honest, not that complicated to do.

Windows lets you choose what action to take when pressing the Power button. You can shut down the computer by pressing and holding the Power button for a few seconds.

I'm actually a little surprised he said it was a mistake. To have 1 key instead of three to reboot your computer would be a mistake IMO. You can accidentally hit 1 key easily, you really have to want to do it to press three keys simultaneously.

Yes and I actually like this option because when my laptop freezes and I can't do anything with it, the three key combo brings me to where I can, either start my task manager, log off, restart, switch users and so on...

Yes and I actually like this option because when my laptop freezes and I can't do anything with it, the three key combo brings me to where I can, either start my task manager, log off, restart, switch users and so on...

Users should not need the 3 keys combo salute. I mean our computer should not freeze no matter how long it's been running. So this feature was born to workaround the unstable software.

True, but it won't turn off the machine, you'll be asked if you want to shutdown.

It'll do whatever you configure it to do (sleep/hibernate/restart/shutdown).

Users should not need the 3 keys combo salute. I mean our computer should not freeze no matter how long it's been running. So this feature was born to workaround the unstable software.

It's kinda hard to work around the OS :) I suppose you could install you favourite Linux distro, if you prefer...

And realistically, buggy software will always be with us, and we just have to deal with it on occasion.

Guest S*rca****sid

John Connor should've tried "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" in Terminator 3, maybe he would have saved civilization... but then wouldn't have been born if it worked.

Hmmmm... did I just theoretically prove time travel is impossible?