What are you most passionate about?

I'm curious to know what you would name as the one thing (activity, cause, subject) that you are most passionate about?

I'm actually having some trouble answering this for myself. I have a lot of interests, some charities I support, hobbies I enjoy, and so on, but I'm having trouble picking one thing I'm passionate about to the point that it helps define who I am.

But maybe some of you know have a clearer idea for yourselves?

(Oh, and just to clarify, I mean other than having sex! Sorry, that's too easy an answer this time. :tongue:)

• Like 2

Guest realnicehat

I'm glad you posted this Brad. I also have trouble choosing one thing that I am passionate about. When I was younger I would be wildly passionate about things.

For a long time it was music, not playing but simply appreciation. I spent unthinkable amounts of money on LPs, cassettes and CDs. I knew all the lyrics, band members, even producers or who wrote what. Now I'm lucky if I can remember who the guy is that sings that song I like or even the first verse.

I adore photography, have a bunch of gear, and am rarely happier than when wandering around with a camera in hand but more often than not it all sits in its bag in my office.

There are a lot of things that I am interested in (wine, scotch, travel, dogs, food, wine, scotch) but at this point in my life there isn't anything I am wild about. I've wondered if this is a normal progression as people age (shit, I'm making it sound like I'm 90).

That being said, I don't feel like I am missing anything. Passion to me (in this context) feels like a young persons game. It can ride a very fine line alongside obsession and that just isn't for me anymore. Play me a good song, I don't need to know the artists hometown. This wine is great...nope, don't need to know the history of the winery.

Passion is great but I don't think I'd trade it for the inner calm and general contentment I've discovered. Much like the ladies who spend time with me, I've learned to enjoy the little thing...er...things ;)

I would like to know what everyone else is into though.

Animals-protecting them:) involving myself in as many charities and causes that will help them. It's important to me that they be treated humanely and respectfully - the environment, living in a way that will leave the smallest footprint. Those are my two biggest passions:)

• Like 2

I don't believe in limiting passion and to me, it's ageless. The more passion you have and for as long as you can possible have it, defines a great life from an "also ran". The thing about passion is you have to listen to your inner self and take risks to follow it because sometimes passion does not conform to what others think it should be or what others think you should be. Find the things you're passionate about (no matter how small) and do those things...make time. Sex, writing, photography, animal rights, sports, hiking, shopping, cooking whatever....DO IT!

Now I will slink off after realizing that I have been ignoring my passion lately and need to take my own advice! lol

• Like 6

Guest webothscore

Playing a variety of sports relieves stress, keeps you healthy, teaches you how to do something on your own or learn how to be a good teammate (translates into many professions), helps you problem solve, plan ahead, organize and much more. Sports is my #1.

Guest *Ste***cque**

Ever since I was a young boy and offered a homeless man my bus fare causing me to walk home, I have always had a soft spot for the under dog, or anyone struggling.

I'm no Saint, as evidenced by my presence here, but I do feel strongly about inequality and when I see someone hurting.

My passions have changed over the years but two still remain to this day.

Motorcycling and photography. I have been doing both for over 25 years.

When I get back from a road trip and have hundreds of photos to sort through,

the results bring back memories for years to come.

• Like 3

Authenticity in everything I do. It's what I strive for; to stay in the moment, feel it, taste it, smell it and not think, just do no matter what I may be doing...

cat

• Like 2

Guest c**io**m7
I am passionate about being Passionate ;-)

Isn't that the truth?

I am passionate about following my heart, even if it gets me in trouble. The heart is the life-blood of the soul and it is never wrong...and cooking. I love to cook...there is something about seeing the smiles as a good meal is enjoyed making the efforts worthwhile.

There are a few things/activities thats can be perceives as hobbies rather than passions.

But what can make the difference is how much time and/or cash you have *invested*, then it becomes a passion.

Some can be regarded as mundane or even geeky.. lol

so:

-Wine making: my first crush was in 1993 made 6 cases of red wine,

at the height of my production (circa .2000) I crushed and filled 225lts barrels of red and white.

-coin collecting

-motor oil - If you are a member of BITOG.. then you understand.. LOL

-photography -I've had a camera around my neck since grade 7

-woodworking -small projects, furniture/cabinetry or even decks.

oh and the kitchen belongs to me... ;-)

Edited by 6dave9
grammatics
  • Like 1

I am most passionate about helping others when and where I can! Volunteering gives me great joy and I would say that is my number one passion. Nothing makes my life more fulfilling than helping others! I volunteer a lot with organizations dedicated to brain injury survivors, and when I meet each new person who is living with a brain injury whether traumatic or acquired, it reminds me to be grateful for my own life, family, and friends. Excellent topic!

Xoxo

• Like 3

Guest ChantalSummers

My family and close relationships with friends bring me a lot of joy and make me passionate about life itself!! There isn't anything I wouldn't do for my family. Also some other passions I have are cooking, art, travelling, fashion, helping people, my career, being an MA, learning, fitness, and health. I really adore meeting new people and trying new things. Everything I try I will always put 100 percent into, enjoy the experience, and have fun learning. I also adore helping others learn. It's always been a pleasure when family members, friends, and even strangers come to me for advice on travel, fitness, health, cooking, and fashion!!