I-Phone 5 SC warning!!!

Guest ***rgi*****9

Just heard this story on the radio in Winnipeg

This is a warning for all I-Phone users...

A lady just called into a radio station with a story about her husband knowing exactly where she was. He asked her if she was on Marion and she had said yes, she normally does not take that route home. So she asked how he knew he told her he was watching her phone move along Marion.

He was able to watch her due to the locate your phone function.

I don't have an I-phone but all you pooners who do better be careful

Posted via Mobile Device

I was a super fan of the blackberry. I switched to a Samsung Galaxy and I couldn't be happier.

I use Apple strictly for ipod. Although, I am sure you can do just about anything with a cell phone nowadays. Including tracking a man/woman by their phone. I never ENABLE GPS unless I need to.

If you're really paranoid, take your battery out of your cell phone before said trip

SD

Any phone that has GPS enabled can be tracked with certain apps. Also you have to be careful with some sites like Facebook or places that have a check in because it can and will randomly access and post updates. It's soon going to get to the point where GPS will be enabled as default with no way to turn off. Everyone wants to know too much nowadays it seems.

LIES!

You're a purist. :icon_mrgreen:

SD

I was going to say I resemble that remark...but when you're right....you're right.

I am a purist lol

Peace

MG

There is a app out there which does have to be activated by you but it shows your exact location to about 50 ft of where you are, pretty scary if you dont have control of your phone at all times

Since it is somewhat difficult to remove the battery from an iPhone, you can either set your iPhone to Airplane mode when you need some privacy (preferably sometime before you arrive at your destination to prevent an astute adversary deducing where you are going...), or deactivate Find my iPhone (if someone else has your AppleId password), or, for the real geeks among you, you can wrap your phone in aluminum foil. Yes, it works, if not fashionable (no, I don't sport a tin foil on my head... :) ). Try calling your cell phone from another phone if you don't believe me :)

(for the very nerdy: you are in fact creating what is called a Faraday cage around your phone).

I was a super fan of the blackberry. I switched to a Samsung Galaxy and I couldn't be happier.

I use Apple strictly for ipod. Although, I am sure you can do just about anything with a cell phone nowadays. Including tracking a man/woman by their phone. I never ENABLE GPS unless I need to.

If you're really paranoid, take your battery out of your cell phone before said trip

SD

As stated by WhiteKnight, the most likely reason for this is that her husband knows her Apple ID and password. Then all he needs to do is use an App called "Find iPhone" enter this info and presto! This isn't brain surgery. Second method will be to use the "find devices" on http://www.icloud.com. Enter her Apple ID and password, and simply locate iPhone. The iPhone is geolocated in an instant. It is unlikely that he expended much more brainpower than that.

Various ways to prevent this, the drawback in doing so would be is she actually lost her iPhone she would have no way to locate it with these Apps...which is why they exist. As stated above, there are another couple ways to make sure you can't be tracked and airplane mode is the best - no need to remove battery, airplane mode or turning off will suffice, tinfoil...I suppose!

Yup, shut off the "regular" cell phone whilst travelling..

.. and rely on the good old 7-eleven pooner phone.. best 50 bucks I ever spent.. :)

Unless your wife finds your 50 dollar pooner phone. And you have to try and explain to her why you have a second cell phone.

And if you watched the AMC series Breaking Bad, you know that second phone can start a shit storm.

As pointed out already, there is a thread about cell phone tracking in the Tech area.

This issue is NOT limited to iPhones.

Some apps allow conversations and texts to be monitored. NEVER allow anyone else to use your phone! These apps can be downloaded very quickly and are impossible for normal users to find. They can also be hidden in files like pictures from that cesspool of viruses, faceb00k.

• Like 1

LOL, just leave your iphone/blackberry/whatever at the office in a drawer, go visit your favourite lady and go back to work. ha ha

Never, use your real cell phone for any kind of fun....remember what happened to Tiger Woods, a five iron in the chops.

:)

Since it is somewhat difficult to remove the battery from an iPhone, you can either set your iPhone to Airplane mode when you need some privacy (preferably sometime before you arrive at your destination to prevent an astute adversary deducing where you are going...), or deactivate Find my iPhone (if someone else has your AppleId password), or, for the real geeks among you, you can wrap your phone in aluminum foil. Yes, it works, if not fashionable (no, I don't sport a tin foil on my head... :) ). Try calling your cell phone from another phone if you don't believe me :)

(for the very nerdy: you are in fact creating what is called a Faraday cage around your phone).

A faraday cage would definitely work and is second best to removing the battery. For a non-apple phone, turning it off is all that you need to do.

Airplane mode only disables the transmitter, the GPS receiver would still be active and if there is an application installed that records the GPS location, all the data will be there for retrieval later. If apple's built in continuous location recorder is still there, it'll be busily recording the GPS and cell tower information.

Guest S*rca****sid
A faraday cage would definitely work and is second best to removing the battery. For a non-apple phone, turning it off is all that you need to do.

Airplane mode only disables the transmitter, the GPS receiver would still be active and if there is an application installed that records the GPS location, all the data will be there for retrieval later. If apple's built in continuous location recorder is still there, it'll be busily recording the GPS and cell tower information.

As stated before, this is not unique to the iPhone. All smart phones record their location.

Guest ***rgi*****9

The only reason I started this thread was that it was discussed on the radio, and basically to keep everyone aware lol. Personally I turn off all location apps on my phones, both work and pooner phone :)