Christmas charity

Just a thought for the less fortunate kids on the upcoming holiday , I am possibly interested in starting a fund for gifts only for the poor young ones that may not have much for christmas this year . As we all know the hobbyist world is made up of mostly fortunate people with disposable income , i dont have any details figured out yet but wondering if there is any interest here as a group to do something to put a few smiles on a few faces this year . Again ; just throwing it out there to see if A. any interest ? and B should we try to do something as a group / Thanks TRS

• Like 1

A great idea. Q104 is doing their toy drive this coming week, with the assistance of local firefighters. They're collecting toys at many of the fire stations, so that may be a way to help out.

Maybe we can challenge each other to do what we can to help those who might otherwise not have a very merry Christmas.

Well I am a huge supporter of Christmas Daddies , I give to Salvation Army regularly , plus I support lots of kids activities. As a business owner my company raises money for kids for Christmas and IWK. Having said that ,I don't think that I will support a cerb movement to raise money for Christmas kids. I don't think it's appropriate for a group like this to be raising money for kids because of the nature of this groups principle reason of existence . Second reason is that I like to keep my real identity away from other members so how would you collect the funds? There are lots of groups that raise money for Xmas gifts for kids so I suggest we all support the ones already in existence .

• Like 1

Maybe this could just be an incentive thread (or a challenge) to get a local interest in supporting kids at this time of year. Each person chooses their individual interest and gives there and then maybe posts about it depending on whether they feel comfortable doing that.

I agree that as a collective group, we would probably be frowned upon leading a charge for kids but the thought is good and pure and I for one am grateful to those who support the IWK... you are appreciated.

I always believe in the magic and meaning of Christmas. Let's all do something to make a child smile.

• Like 1

Well I am a huge supporter of Christmas Daddies , I give to Salvation Army regularly , plus I support lots of kids activities. As a business owner my company raises money for kids for Christmas and IWK. Having said that ,I don't think that I will support a cerb movement to raise money for Christmas kids. I don't think it's appropriate for a group like this to be raising money for kids because of the nature of this groups principle reason of existence . Second reason is that I like to keep my real identity away from other members so how would you collect the funds? There are lots of groups that raise money for Xmas gifts for kids so I suggest we all support the ones already in existence .

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, however don't be surprised if it creates lots of reaction. One thing I know about kids is they are not judgemental and they certainly not going to ask specifics about who donated the toys or money that got them a Xmas meal! I certainly plan on helping out and will not write my handle on my donation. I also seen a few ads already about CERB ladies who will support kid charity and I certainly wouldn't say their gesture is inappropriate.. If I felt that I would consider it inappropriate to visit them. Lets be consistent in our thoughts.

I won't say who, but I know a few ladies here who have children of their own. If I follow the line of thought in the post above it would be inappropriate for them to buy gifts for their own kids considering where the money came from.

Loneskater, I agree with what you are saying.

I think however, it is important to each donate to a charity you feel comfortable supporting. Instead of waiting for someone to say "hey, drop off your toys at xxx place", do it and donate where you live. This way, the children get their donations, and in the end, it has nothing to do with "where" it comes from.

• Like 3

Loneskater, How would you propose to set up how the money is collected ??? How could you protect the true identity of the people donating the money ?? How do you propose to identify the kids in need? How do you know the person collecting the funds actually gets the money to the kids and don't keep it in their back pocket?

Trying to raise money and remain anonymous as a group is nearly impossible and that is my main concern. Don't go saying that my line of thought is that it would be inappropriate for the ladies to buy gifts for their own kids due to how they made the money. That's not my intent at all. It would be inappropriate however for a client to land at a ladies door on Xmas eve with gifts for her kids .

Common sense is what needs to be used. Lots of awesome charities out there already and that is how I plan on helping out.