Any special or funny memories to share this season?

Guest P**aq

With the holidays near the end, I was wondering if anyone had a funny or special moment this year that they might want to share.

Being overseas the past year, it was wonderful to finally be back home to see my mom again! She practically broke my back hugging me! It was also great to see siblings, friends, and a special SP the other day :)

Guest c**io**m7

My kids made me proud. I am not one to ask for or want gifts at Christmas and, like every year, my only gift request was to see my kids all together.

Not only did they come over but they also all got together to purchase me a beautiful lamb skin bomber jacket. It is not the gift that makes me proud, it is the fact that they all cooperated and did it together. They are finally all growing up and showing maturity.

My SO and I always made a Christmas diner for her side of the family but it is a lot of work (for 39 total) and this year we were going to skip it but we changed our mind at the last minute because her son is moving far away for 2 years. It turned out very well everyone got to see him and I got to see them all together for Christmas. Pictures were taken just like every year and I compared them to older ones, some of us change and some don't.

These are great memories.

• Like 3

we broke our traditions this year, in order to help ailing parents keep their traditions alive. It was nice.

• Like 3

Well a special memory still fresh in my mind . The family got together for Christmas dinner and gift exchange as we usually do every year. That's normal and nothing special, well worded wrong, it's special in that the family gets together.

But there is something that is a very special memory from this Christmas season. First opening my mailbox and receiving a Christmas card from a lady, a card BTW which is being saved.

But a few days later I got a notice from Canada Post that there is a package

at the Post Office for me. I picked it up to find that this lady also sent me a Christmas present (and I had no willpower, I opened it before Christmas day LOL)

I have the gift displayed in my living room, a sentimental daily reminder of her, and what a thoughtful kind lady she is. And although I thanked her privately, and she knows who she is, here is another thank you.

That's my special Christmas memory this year

A sentimental rambling

RG

• Like 3

A family friend with a 5 year old who is a "problem child". The apple doesn't fall far from the tree in the case of one of the parents. Okay, I know this isn't supposed to be funny but was shocked and laughed when I asked her how she liked her gifts.. and she say they were nice. Then she walked away and probably thinking I couldn't hear, she muttered under her breath "Fuck off!". Once again, not supposed to be funny but when it's not my kid....it is!

And I had my own family over on Boxing Day and cooked the entire dinner as I do every year. This year we had 18 people. It was great!

It was not a Christmas memory in the strictest sense, but this happened over the holidays and it was memorable. My wife and I had spent the day running around doing errands and picking up a few things that we will need for New Year's Eve. We were leaving a strip mall parking lot and were about to merge into the traffic on a main road way. While waiting for a break in the traffic to merge we were hit hard from behind! The impact was accompanied by loud bang.

I looked into my rear view mirror in time to see the other driver curse and slam her hands on her steering wheel. I got out of my car carefully to inspect the damage. I was expecting broken glass, a cracked bumper and perhaps a bent rear trunk hatch. What I saw was completely unexpected. What happened afterwards was even more surprising.

It was a Christmas miracle! There was no damage, not even a scratch. The other car suffered nothing as well. Well almost nothing, you could see a perfect impression of my license plate in the dirt on her bumper. I looked again, I got closer and nothing had changed. In spite of the force of the impact and despite the promise of carnage that the loud bang had foretold, the two cars were in good condition.

The other driver was a pretty young blonde named Jessica. She was visibly upset, shaking and looking quite afraid. I looked directly at her and said, "This is your lucky day. We are OK, the cars are OK, and there is no need to exchange insurance." I asked her if she was alright. She said, in a shaky voice, "Sort of...I'm not hurt, but, but... It's has been a really bad year and and...." And at that point she broke down in tears. The shock of the accident, the fear of the consequences and the sudden relief that there was no harm done, hit her all at once.

I did what any one would do at this point and took her into my arms and gave her a comforting hug. Then I though about what I was doing and passed this attractive young girl to my wife for some motherly hugging. Soon the three of us were hugging in the middle of the street, between our cars. We asked Jessica if she wanted to go to Tim's for a coffee, at least until she calmed down enough to drive. She politely declined saying that she had to get her dad's car back home.

Once we were assured she would be OK and that she would pose no risk to herself and other motorists we helped her back into her dad's car and went our separate ways. What could have been an awful pain in the ass situation turned out to be quite sweet. Jessica left us with a shy wave and profuse thanks and we went on out way feeling like we had comforted someone who was having a bad year. What could be more Christmasy then that?

• Like 4

Just watched my cats enjoy the sardines that Santa left for them in their stockings (tinned, not fresh).