Current media hype about online underage prostitution

Does anyone else think the media hype on CBC and in the Herald, regarding underage prostitution via sites like Craigslist or Backpage is overblown?

If the two media outlets are to be believed, underage online prostitution is rampant in the Halifax area. The article points to the arrest of many people who fell for an online sting operation by law enforcement about a year or more ago.

Like many people on here, I peruse CL and BP as well. The vast majority of the ads I see on there are fake internet scams to begin with, where they're just trying to get email addresses to sell you penis pills.

Then there's SP's who've been around for awhile, followed by people who are simply just game players/time wasters.

I can't think of too many examples of what appeared to be local underage online prostitutes on CL/BP in recent history, except for the sting example, which doesn't count because it was artificially created. That sting only identified that there may be a 'demand' for underage girls, but not necessarily a supply.

I have no doubt that there is some local ones from time to time on there, but not to the extent that you see it in larger cities. If you believe the media stories, a person might think there are dozens/hundreds of them available in local areas.

I'm not seeing that however. I'm not complaining, it's a good thing. But I think it's just another example of the media reporting a non story here. I'm just wondering what other peoples thoughts on it are.

• Like 3

There is another followup story, that includes the results of that sting too: 5 guys charged, out of hundreds of emails contacting the sp in the ad when it went up (I doubt if the ad showed her age being 16, so they were contacting someone saying 18, legal age).

I was wondering about the legitimacy of the claims, I went to look at both CL in therapeutic (the site they were showing on the TV report) and backpage, and there aren't even 40 people posting ads, so it just didn't add up that there could possibly be 40 ads for underage sps, which is what the first story claimed.

I doubt if you could find that many in larger cities either, to be honest. Maybe Toronto, which is the largest city and largest market, and the higher number of advertisers, you could find 40 underage individual advertisers.

Too many red flags in the story to be believed, imo.

• Like 1

I remember when that particular CL/sting ad was up. I'm pretty sure the stated age in the profile was under 18, which just sent red flags off right there.

This story is all over the news on the east coast, all based on "one" parent saying her daughter is involved, and that there's hundreds of other girls. I'm just not seeing any evidence at all to support that, or even the idea that it's a half a dozen girls, nothing on CL or BP at least in Nova Scotia to that degree.

I think the sentencing, or maybe the verdict for one of the 5 charged is due in court within the next week. I've sometimes seen the media focus in on these cases when that is in the news cycle. It gives people a completely false impression though, when recycled news is characterized to be current.

I agree with what you're saying.

There is another followup story, that includes the results of that sting too: 5 guys charged, out of hundreds of emails contacting the sp in the ad when it went up (I doubt if the ad showed her age being 16, so they were contacting someone saying 18, legal age).

I was wondering about the legitimacy of the claims, I went to look at both CL in therapeutic (the site they were showing on the TV report) and backpage, and there aren't even 40 people posting ads, so it just didn't add up that there could possibly be 40 ads for underage sps, which is what the first story claimed.

I doubt if you could find that many in larger cities either, to be honest. Maybe Toronto, which is the largest city and largest market, and the higher number of advertisers, you could find 40 underage individual advertisers.

Too many red flags in the story to be believed, imo.

Underaged prostitution can't be overhyped enough. Until a person is mentally mature, she or he should not be participating in this hobby as a provider, nor a client for that matter.

As for consenting adults, to borrow the pro-abortionists' line, "It's a woman's body to do with as she pleases".

• Like 3

Underaged prostitution can't be overhyped enough. Until a person is mentally mature, she or he should not be participating in this hobby as a provider, nor a client for that matter.

As for consenting adults, to borrow the pro-abortionists' line, "It's a woman's body to do with as she pleases".

I agree with most of your points, but all I'm saying is that if it's as big a problem as the media is saying it is (and they are implying there are hundreds of local teen girls on CL/BP doing this), then the evidence should exist to support that assertion, they shouldn't have to make it up or just "assume" it to be true. Like many people on Cerb, I check out the local BP/CL listings. I'm certainly not seeing any evidence to support the numbers the media and the one woman being quoted are saying.

It appears to me to be a seriously inflated account of a problem.

• Like 2

No one in their right mind would disagree with the fact that under age prostitution is a bad thing. The real issue here is bringing unwanted attention to the hobby with a problem that seems to be fabricated. I visit these sites often. I can't say I have seen many ladies in recent months that I would question their age. And anytime I have, without fail, there has been a discussion on here about that person.

Additional Comments:

No one in their right mind would disagree with the fact that under age prostituation is a bad thing. The real issue here is bring unwanted attention to the hobby with a problem that seems to be fabricated. I visit these sites often. I can't say I have seen many ladies in recent months that I would question their age. And anytime I have, without fail, there has been a discussion on here about that person.

• Like 2

No one in their right mind would disagree with the fact that under age prostitution is a bad thing. The real issue here is bringing unwanted attention to the hobby with a problem that seems to be fabricated. I visit these sites often. I can't say I have seen many ladies in recent months that I would question their age. And anytime I have, without fail, there has been a discussion on here about that person.

I agree with everything you've said except the fact that this problem is fabricated. I don't think it is. In saying that however, I don't feel there are the numbers of underage that she's stated in the article, but then again who really knows. I do also think this is another chance for the media and this woman to make this profession out to be a shameful and criminal one. A way to turn more against it. I just wish, when the seedy side of something is shown that the positive and respectful side is as well.

• Like 3

The real problem i think with some of these articles are the attitudes of the commentators, who come up with the farfetched idea that all the clients know these are underage sps, and they are choosing to see 13 year olds who are apparently posting all these online ads. It doesn't matter to them that the ad sites themselves have minimum age requirements, and that it is legal to see sps who are supposed to be 18 as the ad states.

In other words, this issue is more your problem than either the underage ad poster or the legal age sps posting ads, because right now many people blame the clients for seeing underagers, not the teenager for choosing to do the work and posting the ad and posing as 18.

• Like 2

The real problem i think with some of these articles are the attitudes of the commentators, who come up with the farfetched idea that all the clients know these are underage sps, and they are choosing to see 13 year olds who are apparently posting all these online ads. It doesn't matter to them that the ad sites themselves have minimum age requirements, and that it is legal to see sps who are supposed to be 18 as the ad states.

In other words, this issue is more your problem than either the underage ad poster or the legal age sps posting ads, because right now many people blame the clients for seeing underagers, not the teenager for choosing to do the work and posting the ad and posing as 18.

I agree with you, however, I also think we as clients are responsible for our choices. If I seen an ad for a sp that I was attracted to but looked even remotely like they could be underage I would be sure to ask for proof of age. No need to disclose names or addresses, but i would want to see a birth date with a picture. If they couldn't provide me with that, I would respectfully decline the date.

• Like 3

Is there a little grand standing by this parent? Certainty. I've never seen people more irrational than when they are worked up about their kids. So yes, she certainty would want to overstate the matter a little to draw attention to a system that she blames for her daughter's choices.

But I think it is extremely naive to think it isn't a big problem. Just look at the last 48 hours on BP. Probably half of the 70 or 80 ads are by women no older than 22-23. Do you think none of these girls are 17? All the girls under 18 decided "nope, I'm not old enough yet"? It's like saying that there can't be under aged drinking because you see the signs in the liquor store that the legal age is 19. I'm not sure when I walk down the street If I can tell the different between 16 and 20 half the time.

Those looking for evidence that this is wide spread aren't going to see it. The evidence will be hiding as something slightly older than it really is. And I do firmly believe there is a market for underaged girls. Men all over the world hop on planes and fly to Thailand for its notorious sex trade, including kids. It's a lot easier to just browse ads in your backyard and read between the lines.

I agree this really bad publicity, though. For everyone, regardless of age. Which may be all this mother is really trying to accomplish.

Edited by redmana2
  • Like 1

When these stories concerning underage are brought to the media the underage girls are always represented as victims, even though many of them willingly and with a lot of planning, conniving and manipulation apply to work for someone or set themselves up to work knowing the consequences their actions could bring to those they interact with and they do this without care in many cases. I know of someone who has bragged about doing just that, years after the fact, and how she got and used fake id. Even teenagers know right from wrong and need to be held accountable. If a service hires an underage that looks of age, and many young people look much older than they are, with careful screening, id check and so on, that service and those involved could be ruined, mentally, financially and in every other way with no repercussions to the underage offender. The media then portrays the service and customers that hired that underage as the offenders and predators.

I don't know what the solution is as there are wolves on both sides. I do know that it's wrong for anyone, no matter their age, to be prayed upon and used. But no matter what the truths are the media loves salaciousness, so the more the story has the more likely we'll hear about it on the radio, tv and print.

• Like 1