This thread is to discuss anything Hot and Spicy, Foods and hot sauces and wings. While chatting in the chat room with some men and women and other foodies, topic got on to favourite hot and spicy foods and sauces. I thought it would be interesting to see what peoples favourite hot foods are.

Where did you get the hottest wings? What are the hottest peppers have you tried.

What is the hottest hot sauce have you tried. How did it feel going in and then coming out :)

What was your worst experience with a hot sauce, did you think you were going to die or wish you were going to die, because it was so hot.

Here is a good place to get hot sauces, check it out, some of the names of the sauces are extremely funny to read. There are a couple of hot sauces where you have to sign a waiver before they sell it to you.

http://www.chillychiles.com/

Oh if you want to talk about hot and sexy women or experiences, feel free :)

• Like 1

Hey Someguy, great subject.!!

I too, have an inkling for hot sauces. I can remember in my younger days going to a pub on Bank St near Heron Rd ( the name will come back to me in a short while), (AH.. O'Tooles...) with some buds and consuming gargantuan amounts of wings and beer.. (0.10c wings in those days). The next day was not pretty..!! LMAO (UMM.. now that I think of it... ass off- yes.... laughing... no.....)

Giving birth to toxic waste was not pleasant to say the least... I'll stop here... LOL... :-)

For a few years now I have ventured to making my own hot sauce.

Start the seeds in Feb and harvest late fall..

Looking for heat, yes.. but nothing stupid... ;-) Flavor and finish is what I am looking for.

I refined my recipes and methods last year, I made 5 different sauces.

Amounts were as little as a half bottle of Tabasco to almost a full bottle of -Red Hot-.

Anyone interested to try and make their own - give me a shout..!

Cheers

D.

Edited by 6dave9
found the restaurant...

I have spent a fair bit of time in Central and South America where the food is typically spicier than most places on earth. The most popular hot sauce used in this part of the world is Scotch Bonnet. I discovered Loblaw's sells it here at home so it now adorns my fridge in case I ever have the urge to hurt myself or set my body on fire :)

Not that kind of Jerking.

Caribbean Jerk sauce, is what I am talking about. I've had from mild to extremely hot. The hotter the better. It's a combination of spices that just explodes with flavour in your mouth. Most had with chicken but you can also get Jerked pork.

Often comes with rice and beans and some sort of hot coleslaw and sauces.

It's amazing how your mind get's clear when you eat something hot. especially if it is tasty, but brings the sweat out of you.

I once made jerked chicken using a Jerk Paste from a company called Grace. Didn't realize it was that hot. I think I only used 2 large table spoons of it with about 10 pieces of chicken. When I ate it, I just poured sweat, it was so hot that it was painful to eat. No else could eat it. I think I ate 2 pieces before I stopped. Next day I made a huge pot of soup and dropped two pieces of chicken in it for flavoured. the pot of soup also came out extremely hot also, but tasty.

Well that is my experience for now. Any of you like Jerk Chicken :)

Ghost pepper is delicious! Mucho Burrito has a ghost pepper burrito with infused bacon... om nom nom.

I don't have ketchup in my fridge... Sriracha goes on everything instead!

Guest P**aq

Any "Kick-Ass" brand stuff is pretty hot. I had their peanuts last night and holy f*** it was hot!

Guest c**io**m7

One of my favorite fish dishes is Tilapia coated in a mixture of habanero peppers and crushed macadamia nuts served with mango/habanero chutney.

It's all because of endorphins.

Endorphins are a group of peptide hormones that occur naturally in the brain that, when released, increase the body's threshold for pain and affect the way you feel emotionally. Endorphins are chemically very much like morphine.

Sugar induces endorpins because sense of euphoria comes from several chemical mechanisms in the brain. The sheer pleasure of eating a piece of chocolate or a powdery donut stimulates the brain's pleasure pathways and the release of dopamine and endorphins, these chemicals make us feel exhilarated.

Spicy food on the other hand releases endorphins for a different reason. When capsaicin, the element of chili peppers that cause the spicy sensation, comes into contact with the tongue, the body is tricked into believing that it is in pain and releases the pain-relieving endorphins.

This explains why, like anything that releases endorphins, spicy food can become somewhat addictive. People start to crave it and build tolerance levels so that, that food that once seemed very spicy starts to seem quite mild.

But don't worry, there's no reason to worry about becomeing addicted to spicy foods. You will never have physical withdrawal symptoms, destroy your life because of them, or need chili peppers just to feel good. It's a benign addiction and given the many health benefits of spicy food, it is a healthy addiction.

So bring on the hot stuff, I'm ready to give it a try.

chilli.png

What this video with three girls having a Habanero eating contest.

Watch them suffer.

It's all because of endorphins.

Endorphins are a group of peptide hormones that occur naturally in the brain that, when released, increase the body's threshold for pain and affect the way you feel emotionally. Endorphins are chemically very much like morphine.

Sugar induces endorpins because sense of euphoria comes from several chemical mechanisms in the brain. The sheer pleasure of eating a piece of chocolate or a powdery donut stimulates the brain's pleasure pathways and the release of dopamine and endorphins, these chemicals make us feel exhilarated.

Spicy food on the other hand releases endorphins for a different reason. When capsaicin, the element of chili peppers that cause the spicy sensation, comes into contact with the tongue, the body is tricked into believing that it is in pain and releases the pain-relieving endorphins.

This explains why, like anything that releases endorphins, spicy food can become somewhat addictive. People start to crave it and build tolerance levels so that, that food that once seemed very spicy starts to seem quite mild.

But don't worry, there's no reason to worry about becomeing addicted to spicy foods. You will never have physical withdrawal symptoms, destroy your life because of them, or need chili peppers just to feel good. It's a benign addiction and given the many health benefits of spicy food, it is a healthy addiction.

So bring on the hot stuff, I'm ready to give it a try.

chilli.png

What this video with three girls having a Habanero eating contest.

Watch them suffer.

Well now ..... you learn something new every day.

I always thought endorphins swam in the ocean and made high pitch "eee eee" noises. I must have had too much tequila on those trips to the Mayan ;)

Next trip to Ottawa ladies.....hot sauce baby !!! I am loading up on hot stuff. I will even pour it on my burritos just before my dates :)

My list would be too long. Visit this store in Manotick and taste test a few:

http://chillychiles.com

Besides, my tolerance for spicy is fairly high.

Rhino Peri-peri sauce (the Hot one), the Iguana brand (the gold in particular right now) and the Bone Sucking' sauces (particularly the BBQ sauce; many of this brand are gluten free and kosher) is but a small sample that come to mind, as well as the Mad Dog BBQ sauce.

• Like 1

Well I used Tabasco Sauce, and Dan T's White Hot Cayenne sauce

Probably others I can't remember

Recently someone ;-) put me on to Frank's RedHot Sauce. So far I've used their Slammin Sriracha sauce and their Buffalo Wings sauce in cooking..going to have to try more of their hot sauces and recipes...thus far they're good

I find hot sauces are good way to kick it up a notch LOL

But I don't just use hot sauces to add spicy flavour to recipes. For example I'll throw in a jalapeno or two into chilli. Yes I also add hot sauce And with

nachos, I use for cheeses mozzarella with jalapenos and mozzarella with red chillies, in addition to hot sauces. Just as a couple examples

My mouth is watering now :-)

RG

• Like 1

(various chillies) seeded and ribbed

Okay, I have a question here. What's with taking the guts out of the chillies? The pith I can understand, but the seeds are where the zing is...

(And for those who don't know - MrT is a far better cook than I'll ever be, so don't take my questions amiss...)

• Like 1

Okay, I have a question here. What's with taking the guts out of the chillies? The pith I can understand, but the seeds are where the zing is...

(And for those who don't know - MrT is a far better cook than I'll ever be, so don't take my questions amiss...)

That's correct, capsaicin (what makes peppers "hot") is largely concentrated in the pith and seeds. While some like to keep those in, for many, removing it from these peppers is a question of food texture in the end.

As for the peppers i quoted in this recipe, they are all smoked-dried peppers, their flavour profiles are different from the fresh ones. The heat will be there in this recipe, it won't hit right away (i find) and numb the mouth - thus "killing" the taste buds. It'll sneak up on you and still give you a sweat. It's a question of balance.

Name, dried-smoked = name, fresh

Ancho = Poblano pepper

Pasilla = Chalica pepper

Guajillo = Chili pepper

Mulato = fresh, its a variety of the poblano with a different flavour profile

Arbol = Bird's beak chile, the long and thin red chile, often traded by Cayenne or Pequin peppers

Using the peppers fresh, it'd be a different story. Without the pith and seeds, their flavours is a bit lost.

Last trick i'd add on this post, milk or a bit of yogourt is the best way to put out the fiery feeling of eating spicy food.

• Like 1