Manitoba endorses Nordic model

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/province-urges-feds-to-use-nordic-model-on-sex-trade-245655561.html

Hey fellow Manitoban's - this is worth writing to your MPs and MLAs about. You don't need to out yourself as a sex worker or client, and you can encourage your representatives to take a human rights, evidence based approach and ensure that sex workers are consulted in the decision making process.

• Like 3

Guest *l**e

FYI, Andrew Swan, the attorney general of manitoba has a facebook page and he will friend you. On his page is currently a thread about this. there are a few people pro and con on this issue, but it's definitely a good read.

I've read this article and Mr. Swan's letter to Peter Mackay. It seems like Andrew is only concerned about street prostitution. In his letter he leaves out the part of the SCC decision referring to bawdy houses.

• Like 1

Swan said the law should target the demand for sexual services while helping sex-trade workers get the addiction counselling, mental-health services and training they need to get off the streets.

I think I'm going to throw up. This comment is completely disgusting.

I might have to join Facebook and tell him so.

Everyone in Manitoba should be online completing this survey. It's a public consultation by the Justice Department on the future legislation. Have your voices heard!

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cons/curr-cours/proscons-conspros/index.html#2014_02_17

• Like 7

Wow provincial NDP and Feberal Conseratives in bed together on this issue.

Not only that, Swan repeats all of Joy Smith's bullcrap almost word for word.

All prostitutes are addicts with mental health issues? I did not know that.

... you forgot the part about how they want to help us all "get off the streets".

uugghh

Guest S****r

I don't even live in Manitoba, and I wrote to him. I think I am going to write every politician who speaks out on this.

Let's educate, educate, educate them!

Andrew Swan also supported the C-10 Omnibus Crime Bill so I can't say this surprises me in the slightest. He's clearly invested in tough on crime ideology. But, it's still very disappointing and concerning.

That's because we "all' started when we were 13, so the drugs started early leading to mental health issues. obvious when you think about it. Even tho I started in my mid 30s.

I find that "statistic" that the average age for someone entering sex work is 13 to be just so mind blowing in both its absurdity and how quick people are to believe it and repeat it without any critical thought. I see it over and over again, and really, anyone who can do basic math and thinks about it for 10 seconds should realize that it's absolute bullshit.

• Like 1

I find that "statistic" that the average age for someone entering sex work is 13 to be just so mind blowing in both its absurdity and how quick people are to believe it and repeat it without any critical thought.

If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth.

Pretty basic mantra for politicians.