When a lick-bath just isn't enough

If you are a pet owner like me and have been thinking about taking your little buddy to a Pet Spa. Make sure you do some research.

Keep in mind that your pet is locked in this box for 30 minutes or longer. [That can seem like an eternity when the situation is stressful.] Your pet is not supposed to be left unsupervised during this time - but we all know that procedures and rules are not always followed to the letter.

***WARNING***Viewer discretion is advised {No worries, they are not harmed physically}

Just do not eat or drink during the first video ;)

It is quite obvious that kitty did not like it one bit.

Not all pet washing machines are the same.

Here are some articles on the subject:

What are Dog Washing Machines?

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/dog-washing-machines/page1.aspx

Dog washing -- automatically

www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=3752938c-8577-4941-9fbe-c92cfa755fd2

Pet Wash: A Sadistic Sudser?

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2001/12/48952?currentPage=all

Now you know.

• Like 3

Totally ridiculous in my opinion. If you don't have enough time to wash your pet then perhaps rethink owing one. If you need a groomer to do it for what ever reasons then find a reputable one and make sure they are gentle and safe. Water is a scary substance to a lot of dogs and to most cats so sensitivity when bathing is imperative.

• Like 2

I have been a pet groomer for 15 years. I just retired from that last year.

I agree that there are many awful grooming places out there.

Here is what I know....

1, be sure not to bring your dog to a place that I call " assembly line grooming" This means a place that has more then one table with 4 tubs and cages with the dryer attached. These places do not give the gentle care your pet should receive. I refuse to even work in a place like that.

Choose a groomer that works one on one. You should be waiting 2 hours for your dog in this case.

2. When it comes to bathing, depending on the kind of dog you have, you should be able to do this as an owner. However, if you have a breed or the dog just is terrified of water. It IS best to have a professional to do it for you. In a dogs mind, you are the one to provide safety. This is one reason why a Vet can seem to do things to your dog that you can not. A professional is neutral to your pet. This goes with all aspects of grooming, if your nervous your dog will be too and chances are your going to teach your dog " that bath/grooming time is a stressful thing and he should be scared"

The problem of bathing your own pet, is that most of you do not blow dry after, leading to hot spots, moist dermatitis.

3, Drying your pet is not easy and can lead to much unnecessary stress to point of seizer, this is why a professional should be doing it. I never agreed to the cage drying style. First because some parts will remain moist as the dog will go to the furthest corner away from dryer laying in one spot. But also, brushing the fur as it dries is important for the skin and fur integrity.

4. a groomer is not a magician, You MUST START GROOMING BEFORE 5 MONTHS OF AGE!!!! YOUR PET NEEDS TO BE TRAINED TO ACCEPT THE GROOMING WITH EASE!!! START THE WEEK YOU GET YOUR PUP!

At home you begin with " desensitizing training" meaning touch the feet with forgein objects ( pens, spoon), cotton ball the ears, have loud noises like a dryer around the pup often. Touch all parts of your dog. Find a table to put pretend to groom, so he is not scared of the table. While you have him on the table, now is a good time to teach him about brushing him:) You should do this once a week.

5. DO NOT THINK JUST CAUSE YOU GOT HIM GROOMED YOUR GOOD FOR 9 MONTHS. A pup needs to return every 6 weeks, because he will forget what he has learned. Make sure the end of a grooming session feels like success to him. NEVER EVER LAUGH AT HIM ON HIS FIRST HAIR CUT! Dogs do get shy and embarrassed if you pick him up and laugh and carry on. Let him leave on a good note:) Be proud of your pup.

6. BE SURE YOUR GROOMER IS ACTUALLY CERTIFIED in a school course that is at least 6-8 months duration. Mine was 8 months. Ask to see the certificate. There are no real regulations for this, anyone can say they are a groomer, but to say a certified pet groomer is different. You would be amazed how many are NOT certified!

7. IF YOUR DOG IS STARTING GROOMING LATE IN LIFE OR HAS SUFFERED A BAD SESSION. If it is a bad case for your pet, and he begins to froth and salivate, stress pants and scream...You are better of having your dog sedated by your vet ( many vets also have groomers on staff) then groomed. It is about 50.00 more on your bill, but there is no point to terrifying your dog to a point of seizer! Many bad things can happen to a dog that is distressed and many dogs have week hearts and murmurs. Strokes can also be a risk at this point.

Hope this helps anyone with grooming concerns? I did not watch the links, my heart would break if I do, and I have to work today, lol...so ...

I just groomed my poodle yesterday, here is a pic:)

1511071_627820350605794_935604365_n.jpg

• Like 7

I don't understand why the video is making light of this, they're obviously not enjoying it and they really want to get out. I should have done what Sophia did and not watched the video.

• Like 2

There are a few things I'd like to know first. I hate having to wash my cat, but when it's needed, it's done. I don't do it in winter, and usually wait until it's a strong sunny day so he can enjoy the sun while drying off.

The thing is, it's stressful for him. He absolutely hates it. And every cat I've owned prior to him have the same reaction to water. With him fidgeting and moving around, I know he would rather be anywhere else.

Having said that, is the stress from the machine wash in the first video worse then me doing it? Yes the cat is jumping around, and it's heartbreaking to see, but is it any better then holding the cat down, preventing him from moving any better? I really don't know.

The second video is something that I don't see a point of, so I'm not going to comment on that.

• Like 1

There are a few things I'd like to know first. I hate having to wash my cat, but when it's needed, it's done. I don't do it in winter, and usually wait until it's a strong sunny day so he can enjoy the sun while drying off.

The thing is, it's stressful for him. He absolutely hates it. And every cat I've owned prior to him have the same reaction to water. With him fidgeting and moving around, I know he would rather be anywhere else.

Having said that, is the stress from the machine wash in the first video worse then me doing it? Yes the cat is jumping around, and it's heartbreaking to see, but is it any better then holding the cat down, preventing him from moving any better? I really don't know.

The second video is something that I don't see a point of, so I'm not going to comment on that.

First, I have not seen the video, but here is my recommendation for cat washing..

Cats generally should NOT be bathed. There are rare instances that it is required. But healthy cats that are brushed often and on a nutrient diet, enriched with omega's will shed naturally and they do groom themselves. Also by bathing your cat, he can " give up" grooming himself, making it a catch 22 problem..

Is the cat matting? This is a concern, because cats thyroid and hormonal balance could be off. Also, if washing, you could be stripping the cats natural oils from the skin and fur, leaving it more easy to matt.

MATS SHOULD NEVER BE CUT OUT, but rather shaved out with a professional clipper, preferably by a certified pet groomer.

If you insist on bathing your cat, then best to use a waterless shampoo. It has an enzyme base that kills odor and bacteria, but leaves a nice scent behind too. There are also wipes for the bum area. Trim the fur around the bum to prevent future cling on's.

If your bathing to smell pretty, then use a cat cologne you can find at pet stores. Baby powder scent is nice:)

As far as safely securing your cat, you can do the hot dog method, this is wrapping the cat in a towel, arms extended and legs, gently swaddle him rolled in towel. However, this is not effective when shampooing only for trimming nails and bum fur. Best to see a pro for this.

Cats do suffer the more stress as dogs for this. In most cases, your cat is safer being sedated by your vet, and let the groomer do it.

I never suggest bathing a cat. It is completely against their nature.

• Like 1

My dog would love this thing, he's a fiend for water anywhere, anytime. That said, his unexpected forays into my shower with me keep him fairly clean. I would consider investing in one if it was big enough for a client... ;

cat

• Like 1

Why I like birds.

They go into the water voluntarily.

Some dogs will tho, they like to go into the river or lake, etc. Good way to get cleaned up.

• Like 1

Guest *l**e

for the record; Petsmart, although somewhat "assembly line", does not have these machines. I have actually never seen any of these machines at any groomer I've ever been to.

All the groomers I know have all gone into the biz because they love animals and would never treat any animal this way. I assume these types of places in the videos exist, but even the smallest amount of research will tell you if a groomer is reputable or not.

I start grooming my dogs from the first day I get them as puppies; cleaning their teeth, paws, ears, brushing, etc including baths as soon as they are old enough (or dirty enough...lol)

for the record; Petsmart, although somewhat "assembly line", does not have these machines. I have actually never seen any of these machines at any groomer I've ever been to.

All the groomers I know have all gone into the biz because they love animals and would never treat any animal this way. I assume these types of places in the videos exist, but even the smallest amount of research will tell you if a groomer is reputable or not.

I start grooming my dogs from the first day I get them as puppies; cleaning their teeth, paws, ears, brushing, etc including baths as soon as they are old enough (or dirty enough...lol)

I agree, the pet smart in my city is probability the only place I would bring my dog if I was not able to my poodle. Although not one on one attention, it is very clean and the staff is certified for sure.

• Like 1