This morning my work phone decided that it was going to freeze on me about 20 minutes prior to an appointment. As this was a new client for me, and my phone has not ever frozen before, I had not written down his number (call was also booked just last night). Finally got it to work 5 minutes after scheduled appointment start time (after many power cycles in frustration) only to be told he had decided to leave as he thought he was being stood up. I apologized, offered to discount his session for the inconvenience but was very much available and waiting on him. He declined and said we could re-schedule another time. I hope he does re-schedule as he seemed very sweet, but I was a little upset and frustrated considering he had only waited 5 minutes for me. I'm well reviewed and took a great deal of time to answer all his questions last night, and I just don't get how after 5 minutes (I know, totally awful first impression but technology does not always co-operate) he'd think I had stood him up. How long is too long to not receive a response? I am wrong in my thinking 15 minutes is a professional courtesy? On both sides, that is about how long I typically wait for clients without getting a response before concluding they are not coming. Thoughts, anyone?

HI and welcome to CERB.. :-)

My 2c.. I think 5 mins is a touch short.. He could have cut a little more slack..

PS - you may wish to re-post in the general discussion - all of Canada.

You will probably get more input.

Cheers

D.

• Like 1

I kinda agree that 5 minutes is not a very long grace period and would bet that he would have expected you to wait longer...but who knows maybe he was new to the hobby and was nervous as it was and this just spooked him. Bottom line Shit happens better luck next time.

• Like 1

This morning my work phone decided that it was going to freeze on me about 20 minutes prior to an appointment. As this was a new client for me, and my phone has not ever frozen before, I had not written down his number (call was also booked just last night). Finally got it to work 5 minutes after scheduled appointment start time (after many power cycles in frustration) only to be told he had decided to leave as he thought he was being stood up. I apologized, offered to discount his session for the inconvenience but was very much available and waiting on him. He declined and said we could re-schedule another time. I hope he does re-schedule as he seemed very sweet, but I was a little upset and frustrated considering he had only waited 5 minutes for me. I'm well reviewed and took a great deal of time to answer all his questions last night, and I just don't get how after 5 minutes (I know, totally awful first impression but technology does not always co-operate) he'd think I had stood him up. How long is too long to not receive a response? I am wrong in my thinking 15 minutes is a professional courtesy? On both sides, that is about how long I typically wait for clients without getting a response before concluding they are not coming. Thoughts, anyone?

I can and have waited up to twenty minutes, things happen, not everything in life operates directly to the minute and on time, ever. I would of gladly stuck around past the start time, but also knowing and inquiring that our booked time wouldn't be screwed up for my duration I normally enjoy 60/90/120 minute sessions.

Guess I've seen it many times from a clients perspective where I've been been canceled on when arriving to a ladies place, but that only has happened very few times over my years.

In my time, 99% of scheduled sessions they always start right on time. 5 minutes is far too short, he probably got cold feet.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input everyone. I honestly have waited longer as well, but just really strange as I said I invested time to politely respond to all his questions it would not in my mind make sense for someone to invest time doing such just to stand someone up. That being said, sh*t does happen and hopefully he will re-book and take me up on my offer of a discount. I consider myself to be pretty reasonable and hate being kept waiting so would never intentionally do that to someone else.

Don't beat yourself up over it. You did your best to resolve the problem to the customer's satisfaction. Like other's have already said, he may be new to the hobby and got cold feet. I know the first time I meet a SP I am petrified. As for first impressions, both the SP and Hobbyist are nervous the first time they meet. It is a blind date after all.

I agree with you that a 15 minute grace period is reasonable. I also believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt. Technology is not perfect and glitches can and do happen. Even family or friends can drop by unannounced. Trouble finding a parking space... Anything is possible. But don't let them take advantage of your good nature and generosity.

Guest P**aq

I've only been stood up once and it was with an SP who I had seen regularly, so I waited for 30 minutes. I was a little freaked and worried about her because it was not like her to even be one minute late which is why I waited for 30 minutes. Turned out there had been an emergency that kept her away but I was relieved that she was ok.

Even for a first encounter though, I think 5 minutes is a little bit of a shy time to give up and leave. A small traffic jam, a little snow on the roads, perhaps a little extra time showering to freshen up for the date, all that small stuff could account for a measly 5 minutes.

I hope that it was just nerves on his part and that he will try to see you again!

Best of luck and welcome to CERB!

Yeah, the technical difficulties suck. As for the five minutes.... I have to say, that depends. If I'm in my car, then I'll wait longer. If I'm on foot and it's the middle of winter and I'm hanging around outside a hotel then I don't know that I'd even last five minutes before freezing to death....