Canadian Sex Offender Registry

Calling all experts!

I'm not one. According so some , the proposed legislation allows law enforcement to add the names of those charged and convicted to the National Sex Offender Registry.

What value will that very important list have if hundreds of the names on it are simply not the names of sexual predators? What use will it be when the names on it are of consenting adults who simply paid for or sold sexual services?

Can anyone confirm this is the case? And if so, are both clients and providers added to the list upon conviction?

I realize it's not law yet. I'm trying to find the parts that we need to focus on changing. This would be one of them.

• Like 2

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Perhaps not but a conviction would mean the revoking of a passport or non renewal of it and no travel outside of our nations border as we would be deemed criminals on the US side as well as banned from the EU as well. Security and criminal background checks would also effect employment as well

Perhaps not but a conviction would mean the revoking of a passport or non renewal of it and no travel outside of our nations border as we would be deemed criminals on the US side as well as banned from the EU as well. Security and criminal background checks would also effect employment as well

thank you, I'm aware of all that.

I'm asking specifically about the Sex Offender Registry though... that's a major issue for someone who hobbies who might for example be a teacher.

It would be significant to more than just teachers... it would be relevant to just about anyone who requires a security clearance for their job or who volunteers with children or youth.

But let's keep in mind that everything was not legal in the past... things will be worse but it's not the end.

Just my opinion

• Like 1

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Yes I do believe we could be put on it and it would cost me my own job if this occurs.

Mind you criminalizing prostitution, well if us pervs ever got even just arrested, not to mention convicted, it would show on CPIC (Canadian Police Information Centre)

Not to mention you would have a FPS number (not a good thing btw)

Sex Offender Registry is salt on the wound, but there is already wounds created with just and arrest, worse with conviction

RG

Guest N***he**Ont**y

This year I have to go through a complete background check for the first time in years and will have to every year thanks to the change in RCMP requirements. I am scheduled for finger printing this August.

US Border often ask if I have ever been fingerprinted. If you have that opens a big can of worms. Even if you are aquitted or pardoned you are still in that system!

Re the Registry, I believe it is up to a judge to enter your name, not the police. Fortunately.

Guest N***he**Ont**y

The difference is that it is a requirement for employment and nothing should show up in my case at this time.

US Border often ask if I have ever been fingerprinted. If you have that opens a big can of worms. Even if you are aquitted or pardoned you are still in that system!

Re the Registry, I believe it is up to a judge to enter your name, not the police. Fortunately.

My guess is that the prosecution first brings it up, asking the judge to put the person on as an offender, then the judge would go thru the list of acceptable reasons and determine if the prosecution has made a case for including that offender on the list.

i don't think we are at a place where anyone is, if the bill passes, going to mess with it by giving anyone a valid excuse to challenge this in appeals, as it would open the whole topic of purchase ban to the SCC, not just whether or not a charge for that can get someone added to the offenders list.

Thats a flawed question for them to ask.

School children get fingerprinted. I remember being finger printed in grade 6 when the OPP ran there "missing kids" campaign and claimed how finger printing kids would help find missing kids. That campaign ran in every school across Ontario.

So technically every person would have to answer "yes".

Thats a flawed question for them to ask.

It's a perfect question for them to ask. If you say yes you better have a good reason.

I thought if you were pardoned then you can answer the question "have you ever been arrested" as no.

It's a perfect question for them to ask. If you say yes you better have a good reason.

It is a perfect question for border patrol to ask, from either side of the border. They already know the answer before you even open your mouth to answer, so it's always best if you have been fingerprinted to tell them the reason why.

I've been printed, as part of my employment, and I've had that question put to me. Imagine the surprised look on some faces when I answer 'yes', then go on to explain (along with presenting another form of ID) of why I have had prints done.

As soon as BP swipes your ID, up comes everything about you.

When your fingerprinted, you gain an 'IAFIS' file (Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System), and sometimes a CODIS file (Combined DNA Identification System) if you have ever had a buccal swab done for any purpose.

If you have had fingerprints done, and answer no to the question, you will end up going through 'secondary' screening, which can be a pain in the ass. They go through everything in/on your person, and all through your car, phone, computers, etc.