Do you say hello?

Guest ***s

As a newbie at this very exciting lifestyle - I always wondered what would happen if I saw / or bumped into a client - and I never realized what I would do until today....

... We both ignored each other !!! ...

Hmmm ... wasn't expecting that. Is that okay? I hope I didn't offend him - or maybe he didn't even see me? I'm sorry "you know who" ;)

Just two compete strangers walking by each other at the corner store MACs.

Ignorance is bliss my dear!

I am pretty sure he was as shocked as you. My policy is to ALWAYS pretend I don't know them even if they are a regular client!!!

Well played!

I agree with Meg..

Ignorance is bliss my dear!

I am pretty sure he was as shocked as you. My policy is to ALWAYS pretend I don't know them even if they are a regular client!!!

Well played!

If a client is alone I wont stare at the floor right away should eye contact occur, but if it does I generally just smile and go about whatever I was doing etc....like I would with any stranger I pass in the grocery store etc. Its a subtle type of ignoring, but one thats not rude or would cause anyone around you to think anything of it

note: not to be done if they are walking with a significant other. (!!) lol

my advice, dont approach them or say hi, but dont act like their presence makes you want to crawl out of your skin either by being cold...who knows, the poor fella might think that it's a reaction that was reflecting on your last encounter...and strangely you never hear from him again.

• Like 1

Personally I am fine when an SP I know comes over and says hello to me when I'm out shopping. It doesn't really matter for me of course, I'm very much single and don't really have anyone in this entire country...so I of course welcome it when it does happen!

Very good point Annessa. I have not yet met anyone in public....just giving my thoughts on what I would probably do. I do like your comment about treating them like any other stranger you would encounter....I often smile at complete strangers in the grocery store...both male and female. Guess I should reconsider my answer LOL But that being said...I would never approach but would be congenial if he did.

• Like 1

I would never approach but would be congenial if he did.

exactly, I always wait for a client to make their first move when it comes to saying hi in public.

Only if I'm having a makeup-less bad hair day or its a definite laundry day I'm usually the one looking at the ground and avoiding a client in public, hehe.

funny story, I had an eye infection and had to take a week off last year till it cleared up...the day I went to the doctor to check it out he put bright orange drops in my eyes to get a better look at my eyeballs surface. turns out everything was fine but he sent me to the local pharmacy to perscribe me drops while I had a zombie-looking eye coz the damn dye wouldnt wash out of my already pink-ish eyeball!

of course in the pharmacy, I run into one ex-boyfriend I still have a crush on and one clients and one potential client I had met socially through cerb! The one prospect client comes up and says hi..even tho I didnt make eye contact (for obvious reasons, lol!!) anyway we had a good laugh at how gross my eye looked....but yeah very embarassing :oops:

so probably a good thing for the guys to know that generally if a girl doesnt make eye contact its not you....it could be her eyeball!..(or something else) hehe

As a newbie at this very exciting lifestyle - I always wondered what would happen if I saw / or bumped into a client - and I never realized what I would do until today....

Hmmm ... wasn't expecting that. Is that okay? I hope I didn't offend him - or maybe he didn't even see me? I'm sorry "you know who" ;)

Just two compete strangers walking by each other at the corner store MACs.[/QUOte] i think you did well with this situation and sometimes silence is golden

Posted via Mobile Device

OH NO....I was always under the impression that makeupless with hair in a pony no one would recognize me...yikes...guess I gotta glam up to go to the corner store now!

Thanks alot Annessa LOL

Just two compete strangers walking by each other at the corner store MACs.[/QUOte] you did well with that and sometimes silence is golden

Posted via Mobile Device

OH NO....I was always under the impression that makeupless with hair in a pony no one would recognize me...yikes...guess I gotta glam up to go to the corner store now!

Thanks alot Annessa LOL

LOL i definitely dont glam up on an everyday thing like that...but I just have terrible luck running into clients when I'm in my sweats! lol. Its funny the same pospect client who came up and said hi in the pharmacy has a son that attends my son's daycare as i discovered...no more dropping off the kid in the morning while wearing pyjama pants and a hoodie! haha

I had a conversation about this just the other day. Every town can be a small town and it just could happen virtually any where especially if you have similar interests. We discussed possible scenarios and how we could handle it if any of the them were to arise. Could be a nod or a wink or or a smile or nothing depending. Even how to handle an introduction if required to do so.

Now if it were to come up I won't feel rude if I can't chat and vice versa.

Peace

Mr Green

LOL i definitely dont glam up on an everyday thing like that...but I just have terrible luck running into clients when I'm in my sweats! lol. Its funny the same pospect client who came up and said hi in the pharmacy has a son that attends my son's daycare as i discovered...no more dropping off the kid in the morning while wearing pyjama pants and a hoodie! haha

Well, sometimes a pyjama can be quite sexy. And, a beauty still is a beauty even "au naturel".

btw, a simple nod would be appropriate in my case:wink:. Being ignored is never fun.

This is a very interesting thread, and one not easy to give an opinion on. Personally, I do not know what I would do. Would I say hello to my favourite MP - if I saw her on the street....

Though, I do tend to compartmentalize my life. That is, I never mix friends from work with friends from home. For that matter, I never bring work to home or home to work. Each morning on the bus, I sit by myself in my own little bubble - ignorant of all those around me, but when I get off the bus and enter that favourite Starbucks of mine - I'm a different man - the baristas all know me and they know what I want (i mean they know what I like to drink). Now, would I say hello to my favourite Starbucks Barista if I saw her on the street? Well, I have seen her when I was with my SO and I walked by her.

So there....

I think you handled the situation quite well. One never knows who may be watching and discretion is always first and formost.

You say good bye, I say hello.....:-D Love the pj's and hoodie..I can picture that ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf2S7kKLtEQ

Remember: Expect the unexpected.

I was in a gas station store and ran into a girl from here that I had visited. She smiled, ran up to me and said a big hello! I thought she was gonna hug me! She asked me what I was doing, yadda yadda. I was quite happy to talk to her, but given a different location or timing or whatever maybe I wouldn't have been.

We parted ways but I was left with this thought "You never know when you might bump into someone and it might be bad timing or a bad situation but the other person might not follow the code so be prepared! :idea:

Each situation will elicit a different response depending on the particular circumstance. At times these things happen in the blink of an eye as two people are passing in opposite directions, perhaps close by or at a distance. On other occasions it may be an in your face scenario. You need to be observant of whether or not the person is accompanied or is alone. Even at times that is hard to determine as the SO, or even a friend may have moved away from you for a moment only to trun around and observe what is happening. A smile or quick acknolwedgment may be appropriate depending on the scenario. At times, merley moving on may the best choice.

Whatever the scenario, it is best to avoid any embarassing interactions which will lead to awkward conversations or stilted explanations.

I'd probably pass out lol... though I have bumped into one mp...which i was close to passing out as i was with my SO...happy we were in different sections of the store at the time so she didnt see me almost run run run away!lol

another time with my fave mp... well she was invited to something, i actually originally wasnt going to be there, nor was my SO...but we both ended up there!... that was nerve wracking as all hell too...superly happy i delayed and delayed at the end so as not to be on the same elevator on the way down...

I always worry about this stuff...(yes as many of you know!! i am king of the spazzes)

though there is something a little thrilling about it at the same time. weird huh?

However yes...if it were ever to happen while i am with my SO i would probably pass out, hoping for a heart attack (or maybe faking one) so as not bear the wrath of the wife...(which may or may not include the chopping off of certain parts) lol

Just two compete strangers walking by each other at the corner store MACs.

I want to just make a point here, which is the fact that "we", as in SP's & Hobbyist's, are somewhat (meaning most of us) a type of secret society if you really do think about it. We are cautious about almost everything we do & say when engaging in this lifestyle. Whether we are using alias names, screening, requesting discretion, requiring an i/c or o/c location etc...the bottom line is that we are overall trying to maintain some degree of discretion, right? So when it comes to something like bumping into someone outside of the experience, the discretion becomes vulnerable. The question of what to do shouldn't be too hard to think about whilst seeking the best answer. Just saying...:rolleyes:

• Like 2

I want to just make a point here, which is the fact that "we", as in SP's & Hobbyist's, are somewhat (meaning most of us) a type of secret society if you really do think about it. We are cautious about almost everything we do & say when engaging in this lifestyle. Whether we are using alias names, screening, requesting discretion, requiring an i/c or o/c location etc...the bottom line is that we are overall trying to maintain some degree of discretion, right? So when it comes to something like bumping into someone outside of the experience, the discretion becomes vulnerable. The question of what to do shouldn't be too hard to think about whilst seeking the best answer. Just saying...:rolleyes:

well said...I like the term secret society, :-)

kinda remins me of this movie I saw where all were part of a secret gang of sorts but all had daily lives...and wouldpass each other in day to day public places, there was a smile and nod without stopping and they all moved on....c'est comme ca!

It would be difficult for me not to offer a discrete polite smile and nod ... its just the polite thing to do. If the lady is with someone, however, that will only happen if they make eye contact with me. I might discretely try to make eye contact, to make sure its not perceived that I am trying to ignore someone, but I would never actively approach a lady. Any other interaction is entirely up to the lady. I might be the exception to the rule as it is highly unlikely that I will have anyone with me as I am only in Ottawa on business trips by myself.

Guest f***2f***
You can't have a secret society without mutant powers!

Yes that is true. I personally can breathe through my ears and widen tight places....ha!! Boner Man!!:bddog:

This happened to me as well,

I had actually brought the subject up the first time I saw her, given the location we had met and the fact i would occasionally be in the general area she worked.....we agreed that discretion, for both our sakes, is best maintained at all times.

Sure enough, while out for shopping trip, we run into each other, and with a polite smile and a gentle nod of our heads, we politely acknowledged each other.....and moved on without stopping or conversing.

I sent an email afterwards, wishing her a great day and she was appreciative that i did not stop to chat, as was I she didn't....you never know who is lurking nearby, family, friend...business partner....

Discretion is always best maintained in my opinion....