Ok so C-36 gets passed by The Royal Asses :-) and it gets appealed, will it still become an official law after the initial passing 30 days later or will it have to be fought out in court, before in can actually come into effect?

After the 30 days this will be the law... will it be challenged in the courts... certainly... but that process will be years down the road. We need to face facts and start working in the new reality.

Just my Opinion

Yes. 30 days after it gets Assent it becomes law. It will remain law until/unless a court puts a stay on it or strikes it down, or it's repealed or changed by a subsequent law.

But as I've said elsewhere, that doesn't mean we have to worry about it much :) The fact that a law exists doesn't mean anyone will bother enforcing it; the fact that people want to enforce a law doesn't mean you'll get caught.

I'm sure nobody here ever breaks the speed limit or smokes weed, right? Right? Just smile and nod. Good. Well done.

Carry on, everyone!

• Like 2

The actual date this legislation becomes law according to a tweet I got is Dec 6, 2014

RG

That is my understanding as well. The law will come in to effect Dec 6th.

But as I've said elsewhere, that doesn't mean we have to worry about it much :) The fact that a law exists doesn't mean anyone will bother enforcing it; the fact that people want to enforce a law doesn't mean you'll get caught.

I'm sure nobody here ever breaks the speed limit or smokes weed, right? Right? Just smile and nod. Good. Well done.

Carry on, everyone!

No offense intended but I can't help but feel that that's pretty irresponsible advice to be giving folks. Just ignoring it and hoping it goes away doesn't do much good in my experience.

It may eventually be as you're stating here, just one of those laws that LE doesn't even pay attention to (if there even such a thing). But as is the case when any new law passes....you can bet your ass LE officials will be pressured to "make a few examples".... whether they want to or not. And with all the press this bill has been getting so far....you can expect those examples to be given press coverage as well. The conservatives are going to want to show off their "win" after all. Those caught will be charged as "sex offenders" and portrayed as such. Put in the same bucket as pedophiles and rapists.

In my opinion it'll be this way for the first little while at least until all the public attention dies down and it becomes "old news".....then maybe LE will start looking the other way.

My advice to gentlemen would be to start collecting the numbers or email addresses of your favorite ladies now. Any ladies you have not yet met but would like to, I'd suggest contacting them and discussing rates and services NOW before these 30 days are up. Because once this takes effect, the only communication you'll be able to have is to set up a meeting time and place. If I understand correctly, any communication regarding rates and/or services will get your ass handed to you.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I'd rather be paranoid then end up on the front page or the paper, lose my job, and give my poor old grandmother a heart attack lol. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 3

No offense intended but I can't help but feel that that's pretty irresponsible advice to be giving folks. Just ignoring it and hoping it goes away doesn't do much good in my experience.

None taken. There are people who get offended by having their opinions challenged; I don't consider myself one of them, and I hope I live up to that.

It may eventually be as you're stating here, just one of those laws that LE doesn't even pay attention to (if there even such a thing). But as is the case when any new law passes....you can bet your ass LE officials will be pressured to "make a few examples".... whether they want to or not. And with all the press this bill has been getting so far....you can expect those examples to be given press coverage as well. The conservatives are going to want to show off their "win" after all.

Obviously we're all speculating at this point, but I actually think you're right - LE may come under some political pressure, and there will probably be zealots within LE who won't need external pressure. However, LE can resist political pressure if need be; when LE and politicians get into a fight, it tends to be the politicians who back down. The police are more respected by the general population, and the politicians know it.

I think what will happen will be pretty much what happens now: LE will respond primarily to public concerns, and when they do they'll tend to go after the low-hanging fruit. And as I said elsewhere, this will involve putting a cop on a street corner or an ad on BP, and arresting the guys who take the bait. It requires relatively little effort, gives them some arrests that they can parade as evidence that they're "doing something". It also hits the most visible section of the sex-work community: the street workers, who are also the ones who arouse public ire simply because of their visibility.

But I maintain what I said elsewhere: if you don't look for street workers, and you aren't on the lookout for the new arrival on BP, your chances of getting caught are vanishingly small.

My advice to gentlemen would be to start collecting the numbers or email addresses of your favorite ladies now. Any ladies you have not yet met but would like to, I'd suggest contacting them and discussing rates and services NOW before these 30 days are up. Because once this takes effect, the only communication you'll be able to have is to set up a meeting time and place. If I understand correctly, any communication regarding rates and/or services will get your ass handed to you.

This is good advice. I actually think the ladies are going to see an increase in repeat visitors, in the short term...

Edited by Phaedrus
typos
  • Like 2

i agree with P. If LE is feeling pressure, say by the municipal govt, citizens, to 'do' something now that C36 is in effect (and be sure that abolitionists will be at the forefront of these complaints), they will do as they have always done. Which is 95% of all of their efforts will be directly related to the street trade. They have to, because they can easily snare a couple of dozen people over a 48 hour period, using a handful of officers.

Even now, they did that Operation Northern spotlight, a much more labour and time effort. They've done it twice this year, it is so difficult to set up and follow thru, and had much lower results, in many cities, zero results in terms of laying charges against anyone (knowing that they are trying to find victims, and lay charges against pimps coercing someone, and not finding those, as well as not rescuing underage workers).

At best you can expect your city to not want to add to that organized initiative, and maybe twice a year in some cities, these ONS's will happen, where the target are sps (to rescue) only. Then the rest of the time they'll focus on street work, and phoned in complaints or reports. i doubt if they'll take the time to set up incall stings because they know they'll be spending time, money, energy in other ways already.

• Like 1

I suggested to some one today that their phone and email will likely explode over the next 30 days as folks scramble to get contacts set up prior to December 6. This presents an opportunity to cull the herd as it were and be able to be more selective and able to re-enforce booking and reference rules.

Peace

MG

I know for a fact all prostitution ended in the US in approx 1910, when they brought in the Mann Act. True story, there are no sps and no clients in the entire USA because all the states have criminalized sex work, for both clients and sps.

Check for yourself.

• Like 6