If They Passed a Law and Nobody ........

It has been an interesting six days since the passage of the new legislation. Something appears to be happening that I have never seen before and it boils down to, "What if they passed a law and nobody cared?"

Since December 6th if you've been following it, there have news stories, editorials, public opinion commentaries, police force announcements, anecdotal stories, and many with the common theme that the law is foolish, unenforceable, a constitutional afront to the decision of the Supreme Court, and other than for abuse and trafficking and those sorts of things will be ignored.

I for one would LOVE to have been a fly on the wall in the meeting rooms of Joy Smith, Peter MacKay, and some of the so called rescue groups that passed this legislation as they read the press releases. They must be beside themselves, but I do not think that they have given up their fight.

Now, with me being me, I am not yet quite ready to say to all of those here who want to say to me, "I told you so," that I was wrong. :) It is still early days and as long as it is a law on the books it has its potential dangers.

However when it is actually gone, nobody will be happier to admit that he was wrong than I !!!!!

Keep supporting sex worker organizations and each other.

• Like 7

I agree that it is still early and I am sure there will be some enforcement in the form of stings, etc. However, after seeing the press release from Calgary police, it is pretty obvious that although they will abide by the new law, they won't go out of their way to target average citizens. I think MacKay underestimates the people who really enforce laws in this country. He thought he could get on his pulpit and create this travesty and everybody would just fall into line but he doesn't understand that the cops, prosecutors and judges in this country can see the bigger picture here. I am cautiously optimistic that law enforcement officials will continue to do what they always have. Target the exploited and protect the ladies whenever something happens.

Now I am off to work for half a day and then get ready for some fun time with two very special ladies tonight. If they bust me after, I doubt I will even care. :tongue:

• Like 4

Guest S****r

Even if it is never enforced, they are happy. They have made their mark in history.

This was never about enforcement or eradication of prostitution... this was always a political play... he played to his political right wing base.

Just my Opinion

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

• Like 4

The Cons never had any real concerns surrounding this issue and only had a vested interest when it came to themselves and how it would benefit their upcoming election.

While business has taken a downward turn and it's quiet for ladies such as myself who work indoors, the real loss is going to be with those on the street where the risks and danger are much higher. There was supposed to be a law that would be designed to protect them but all the government cares is how it makes them look so high and mighty for their voters.

Laws should never be built on morality and this is what this law was founded upon. Evangelism at its finest!

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 7

Supporters of the law keep forgetting that the law has been passed - so they've already won. Secondly, they keep ignoring the Charter and the Bedford ruling.

If they weren't worried, we wouldn't be seeing Real Women and Joy Smith, and others frantically writing letters and/or starting up yet another anti campaign.

Heck why bother? The law is passed, they got what they wanted, so why be worried? After all, they'd be the first to say the laws are valid, constitutional, and more than adequate to stand a challenge. that was the reasoning for not sending it to be checked out in the first place, so why be this concerned that it might get there after all?

• Like 2

If they weren't worried, we wouldn't be seeing Real Women and Joy Smith, and others frantically writing letters and/or starting up yet another anti campaign

Yes, the REAL women press release (as seen on Justin ling's twitter) was hilarious. REAL women press release goal: use as much odious adjectives as possible while also criticizing how democracy works....cause c-36 supporters are experts in democracy, the Charter/constitution.

• Like 1

oh, i didn't see JL's interpretation. I must go visit that. It was funny enough without any additional comments. :)

sadly can't find without scrolling for dayz.

Same thing happened in Sweden when the law passed: it was not enforced until the Gov started pressuring the police (see this aticle: http://justicewomen.com/cj_sweden.html ) The context is different here in Canada because the Federal Gov does not have much authority over the provinces, the Fed should find a way to convince them to enforce it, but how? we will see...