Chinese Food

I too will avoid anything labelled "made in China" especially and since I became aware of their use of dog and cat fur. Many stuffed animals and toys coming from China can have dog/cat fur on them and not be labelled as such. Laws are very slack to non-existent when it comes to food prep, and what they can use.

It is becoming harder and harder though to find anything that hasn't been made there. So one has to be very careful when shopping.

• Like 1

Awww come on.

You are putting a damper on our ravenous consumer appetite.

We want stuff. Lots of stuff. One of everything and maybe 2 or 3.

We don't care too much about quality or ethics for the most part.

Why pay a license fee or royalty when you can by a knock off almost as good?

Thats what China gives us and by and large as a society we have lined up to the trough.

I think maybe the tide is turning and we are getting smarter.

Buying domestic feels good and its feeling better all the time.

Made in China is always my last choice right now.

• Like 3

I try to cook from scratch and that is the best way to avoid all the salt, sugar and unpronounceable chemical additives in our prepared foods. That said we have evolved a food supply system that we wouldn't be able to feed ourselves if we weren't importing the majority. We really should be spending our dollars on local suppliers so that they can survive, grow, and prosper.

• Like 1

Guest D***el B***e

When you're all done debating the value of the made-in-China label, throw a couple of eggrolls my way please, and don't forget the plum sauce.

Here is an interesting article for those who seek information about made in or not made in china products.

http://www.orwelltoday.com/foodchinamade.shtml

I think highly of those who try and sustain their health, community and country by buying local or only made in Canada but it is becoming very hard to do so, especially when a lot of labelled made in Canada products or their ingredients are sourced or actually made elsewhere.

But if we want it Canadian, or at least North American we all have to be very careful shoppers. We do vote with our dollars after all and those with children can teach them such, if they choose to do so.

When you're all done debating the value of the made-in-China label, throw a couple of eggrolls my way please, and don't forget the plum sauce.

I make my own eggrolls using local free range pork. I always thought it was the MSG which gave Chinese resto food its extra zing, but maybe sewer sludge is the secret ingredient! To be fair, this applies only to food cooked by street vendors or tiny restos in China.