Discouraged Canadian

It is all so sad and frustrating..a once beautiful country one would be proud of is turning into a horrible place to call home.

Guest N***he**Ont**y

C-51 could well work in our favor to get them out of Government when people finally wake up and see what they have brought us too. The times are changing yes but we have to wake up and not let those terrorists in the Middle East and here at home win. In fact the Tories might just fit into the terrorist classification for trying to erode our Charter Rights.This bill is going to far without the proper Civilian Oversight to keep and eye on them and keep them from running amok!

Guest Lep*******1**7

I totally agree with the comments already made about the current state of Canadian politics and democracy. It is hard not to become totally cynical about what is currently a political game where truth and transparency have been replaced by lies and subterfuge.

I too follow the debates about Family Safety Act (aka Anti-prostitution Act) and the widespread destruction of our democratic and civil rights, we have spent the last century fighting for. With the stroke of a pen, those rights are gone and the terrorists have truly won.

But I like to think naively that we can win back those rights bit by bit with a new set of politicians who believe in the values of open and democratic government. If we look at the current cast of clowns it is hard indeed to predict when the situation will turn around to allow positive change to happen.

But I keep hoping and voting, because I don't have a choice but to do so. The alternative is just too depressing!

I agree with the political stance of yester years, former Prime Minister's, Trudeau included, stood up for Canadians, a country as a whole and united,, the current PM and his contenders, stand for one, THEMSELVES! It's a sad day, when election day rolls around, and a NEW PM is elected, and sadly nothing changes,, I know and understand, its a new era, a new generation, but, that being said, the Prime Minister's main focus has to be Canada, listening to Canadian's and taking a stand, and keeping it, not going back and forth on decisions! I only hope, on VOTING DAY, the person elected, remembers CANADA!

• Like 2

This also raises the issue of just how and when the new prostitution law will be challenged. Indeed, there is a conundrum: I believe that overall, LE's strategy on policing the sex trade will not change much. I'm sure they realize it would be somewhat pointless and a waste of taxpayer dollars to go after consenting adults. As such, they are focusing on real exploitation, pimping and/or trafficking cases. This is a positive development on two fronts:

1) They're going after the real criminals

2) It gives the effect that C-36 is working, which will appease the conservative base, which hopefully will give them nothing further to complain about in this regard.

The only 'downside' to all this is that without anyone being charged aside from real criminals, what case do we have to launch another constitutional challenge and have this unjust law overturned? Perhaps someone could be so kind as to enlighten me on this particular aspect. I remember that before C-36 was passed into law, there was talk that it would be challenged almost immediately. Sadly, that has not transpired.

• Like 1

I don't think politicians are any different from one to the other. They all have agendas, twist and turn them as their power strengthens and terms lengthen. They all have their own motivations to win, none of which is the betterment of the general public. So the option is to choose the lesser of the evils. To think that times were better is imo being kind to past follies but we all see things differently.

People have to conform and change as times and governments change. What else can anyone do? With bill c36 we acclimate, carry on, survive and thrive. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and more clever;)

As far as the anti terrorism legislation, it's about power and control not our safety. I believe we are all being mislead about the truths of who the real terrorists are. But these are things I can't change nor completely understand so I focus on what I can and do.

• Like 5

My problem is i dislike the conservatives and Harper, but I'm not crazy about Trudeau or Mulcair either. I tend to vote for my local candidate rather than a party. Problem is whom ever I vote for invariably loses. I am like a big albatross around their neck when I support them.

• Like 1

My biggest concern is that the PM is quite capable of winning another election. There are two areas which concern me, not about specific legislation, but about his style.

In the US, although dysfunctional in their own way, their three branches of government are independent and counterbalance each other, Here with a majority Harper controls both the administrative and legislative branches, and seems to thumb his nose at the supreme court, by flouting their decisions.

If you remember he came to power by painting the Liberals as dishonest and in government to further their own interests. He promptly introduced accountability and transparency legislation. I think it's pretty clear that he doesn't believe in these ideas. He runs a government that hides behind secrecy, and I believe puts the interests of the Conservative party above the idea of good non partisan governance designed to further the interests of the average Canadian.

• Like 5

Harper as MOD? Argh! This should be added to the "things that suck" thread.

I think he should have a tougher time with the upcoming election... Canada's economy fell out of the ugly tree and is currently hitting every branch on the way down due to our reliance on natural resources. telling the difference between parties is becoming challenging for me I just hope for minority every time. bill c51 or variation there of seems to be all the rage in a growing number of developed nations, it is frightening but Canadians will win in the long run, unless they change the people.... Always the best country!

• Like 1

I log in with TOR because I don't trust anybody;

perhaps I will be a criminal for using TOR, because

only criminals use TOR?

Only in science fiction do the dominoes fall.

Welcome to Your Village

The Prisoner

"You've had your chance

now we've got the mandate

If you've changed your mind

I'm afraid it's too late"

It's happening everywhere in the western world,

not just Canaduh.

It all started with 9/11, now didn't it?

Instill fear in the masses.

Perpetual fear; perpetual war.

Bin Laden, Hussein, Gaddafi, and now the crazies

have framed nuclear armed-to-the-teeth Putin.

Whether 9/11 was a convenient, spontaneous,

random opportunity, or whether it was

meticulously planned by those whose mouths watered for it,

it is being milked for all it's worth.

All you can do is collect your cash,

convert said cash to bullion,

bury bullion in our vast wilderness.

The day they banish cash is the day I give up,

and that day is coming.

Fools embrace digital currency.

The youth can't wait to pay with their phones,

the fools can't wait to be tracked and traced,

enslaved.

Real freedom is in the countries where you can buy

your way out of minor crimes and regulations.

A little bribe here, a little bribe there:

Russia, Columbia, Thailand, Philippines, etc.

That's my track.

Checking out of this country before I hit 50.

"

Integral

If you've done nothing wrong

you've got nothing to fear

If you've something to hide

you shouldn't even be here

Long live us

the persuaded we

integral

collectively

to the whole project

it's brand new

conceived solely

to protect you

One world

One reason

Unchanging

One season

You've had your chance

I'm afraid it's too late

We're concerned

you're a threat

You're not integral

to the project

Sterile

Immaculate

Rational

Perfect

Everyone has

their own number

in the system that

we operate under

We're moving to

a situation

where your lives exist

as information

One world

One life

One chance

One reason

All under

one sky

unchanging

one season

You've had your chance

I'm afraid it's too late

We're concerned

you're a threat

You're not integral

to the project

Sterile

Immaculate

Rational

Perfect"

I totally agree with the comments already made about the current state of Canadian politics and democracy. It is hard not to become totally cynical about what is currently a political game where truth and transparency have been replaced by lies and subterfuge.

What Leprechaun wrote and that I have highlighted above goes right to the crux of the matter and of this discussion. I really do not trust much of what comes out a politicians mouth - that it is their truth or honesty. To the vast majority of politicians it is only a game. The game of winning power. When I look at pieces of legislation and I see EVERY single Conservative vote the same way and then every single Liberal and NDP member vote the opposite, I refuse to believe that they are all voting what they believe. Trained puppets do not deserve to be representing Canadians. When I watch Question Period and I see members read off of cue cards supplied by the PMO even if it has no bearing on the question, I shake my head in disbelief.

My biggest concern is that the PM is quite capable of winning another election. There are two areas which concern me, not about specific legislation, but about his style.

In the US, although dysfunctional in their own way, their three branches of government are independent and counterbalance each other, Here with a majority Harper controls both the administrative and legislative branches, and seems to thumb his nose at the supreme court, by flouting their decisions.

If you remember he came to power by painting the Liberals as dishonest and in government to further their own interests. He promptly introduced accountability and transparency legislation. I think it's pretty clear that he doesn't believe in these ideas. He runs a government that hides behind secrecy, and I believe puts the interests of the Conservative party above the idea of good non partisan governance designed to further the interests of the average Canadian.

Well said Boomer. It is not only the two pieces of legislation that I referred to in my original post, but in everything that they do. So much disturbs me, however it may be the fact that as you pointed out, the Conservatives totally ignore rulings of our Supreme Court, and the other parties do not jump on them for that in any significant way.

for me I just hope for minority every time.

You speak for me LadiesFirst with that comment. A minority or heaven forbid, a coalition, would force politicians and parties to work together rather than oppose as an automatic function.

I still don't see a solution!

The prevalence of fear and authoritarianism is quite depressing. Unfortunately, it's by no means unique to Canada; all over the world, governments are realizing that they can use technology to dredge up unheard-of quantities of information on the population they control, and if they talk enough about terrorists or whatever the bogeyman du jour happens to be then nobody will object. Or not enough people, anyway.

The thing is, I have no clue what to do about it. No politicians that we might reasonably expect to elect will roll back any of the power they've inherited from their predecessors, and all of them will be rapidly purchased by wealthy corporations and individuals who will ensure that their own interests are served.

Perhaps it's time to get the pitchforks out...

• Like 1