How do you beat the heat?

Guest O***wa**W

It is 44 C today with the humidex here in Ottawa. That is like 110 F.

Besides hibernating in air conditioning, what do you do to enjoy, or at least survive heat spells like this?

Freezies, cold water, ac, and maxing out on my scooter (which doesn't go very fast). Need to move to UK, not too cold, not too hot...and lots of rain!

Guest s******ecan****

I just take a moment to remember who bloddy f*ng cold and long the winter is.

Drove all the way from Toronto to Ottawa with a girl friend today in a truck with no air conditioner. We where topless the whole way and took a break at the half way point to swim naked in the Black river. Yummy trip.

I turn all the power off :roll: and curse my laptop battery for no longer holding a charge. I then get a book out and am grateful that it's still light out late at night so I can still read a book as I'm afraid to light a candle and add to the heat... even a tea light seems so unbearably hot right now.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/07/06/toronto-power-outages624.html

I fill up a spray bottle full of water and stick it in the fridge and then I mist myself throughout the day.

I have air in the bedroom, so sometimes when the heat is too unbearable in the living room, I just sneak in there and collapse.

Basically, I try to move around as little as possible.

All I can say Thank god for Air conditioning !!

But the light are out Blinds are closed

There black out in the GTA

Yes just as Hot here in Toronto / Mississauga.

For those who don't have A/C ..

Try this .. Get a pot full of water, freeze it

Place it under a fan ... It blows out cool air

I drink a lot of water, cut the sugar and alcohol (dehydration), eat light meals and stay active. If my metabolism is revved up I don't feel the stifling heat so much.

Posted via Mobile Device

Spend 12 years working in the summer heat ...... hot tar and gravel roofing, you learn to hate it and deal with it as well. Even though it has been 10+ years since I did it I found my body adjusted better today for the heat than yesterday. Drink lot's of water ..... eat watermellon which is real good at quenching your thirst, close your blinds and lights and have the ceiling fans circulate the air or just spend the day out in the boat running around the lake doing 60 MPH.

I got home after being in traffic for 45 mins and even though the A/C worked in my car, it wasn't cold enough for a day like today. I pulled up to my house and saw the neighbor's sprinkler was on and ran right through it. I was that hot!! And I was wearing a white shirt. LOL.

I have AC in the bedroom so I can hide in there, but that will get boring. Last year I could drive to Tofino (4 hrs. drive) to surf but the AC broke down in my car today so no Tofino this summer. I think I'll go to Comox Lake and jump in if it gets bad enough, that's only a 20 minute drive.

I've taken to keeping a suit and towel at my studio for quick bike trips to a nearby city pool.

Hoping to make a trip to the beach soon too. Hooray for clothing-optional!

I have central air which keeps the condo nice and cold, however while walking home today I did stop in at the library to refresh myself. Was quite chilly in there :)

MMMMMM....central air! That sounds fantastic! Gonna file that away for when I'm ready to move....add it to my must-have list, which includes "allow cats", "jacuzzi tub" and "fridge that dispenses ice cubes and water"

Nicole

I have central air which keeps the condo nice and cold, however while walking home today I did stop in at the library to refresh myself. Was quite chilly in there :)

I beat my meat, the usual way...... what....heat... I thought I heard meat!

A/C and some yard work to acclimatize to the heat.

I just slide the back patio door open, walk out about 15 steps, and jump into my backyard 18' x 34' inground salt water pool.

Sat outside all morning actually,drank coffee,read the newspaper,sweat go for a dip,sweat some more, go for another dip! Water is perfect at 86 degrees, not too hot, and not to cold!

In about an hour or so I think I might mix up a some bacardi mojito's or perhaps some margarita's....mmmm decisions8-)

I survive it by drinking copious amounts of very cold beer!

That is very likely in the cards for later this evening. 8)

Guest O***wa**W
I just slide the back patio door open, walk out about 15 steps, and jump into my backyard 18' x 34' inground salt water pool.

OMG, I am so jealous!