How Do You De-Stress? Besides The Obvious

I was chit-chatting with a friend last night about dealing with stress. She was having a hard go of life lately and more often than not she'd come home from work more wound up than yo-yo. So I suggested some new ways to de-stress and relax. Here's some of my favorites:

- at the end of each day, I have a wee nip of something. Just relax in bed or on the couch (if I'm feeling sociable) with a glass of brandy, sometimes cognac.

- at the beginning of each day I stretch. I don't do a full yoga routine or anything, but I stretch out and get my body ready for the day. I find it helps me wake up and it just feels good to stretch!

- when I'm really stressed out, I go on a cleaning bender. Making my external world neat, organized and spotless seems to help me take perspective on what's going on in my head/heart.

- cuddles with the animals. Of which there are no shortage in my life.

- if the weather is good I sometimes put my favorite music to a playlist, pop in my earbuds and go for a long walk. This always helps me if I have a bout of semi-insomnia.

So, what are your favorite ways to relax and ditch stress?

Posted via Mobile Device

Peronally I pick up a favorite book and lose myself in the story....

Works for me. :)

my 2nd love is music. just great melodies and nice lyrics. So when i'm feelin down, i just like to make a playlist of similar themes or moods out the 6000 tracks i have on my computer.

Guest W***ledi*Time

1) eat

2) walk

3) lift weights

repeat as required.

warning: all steps must be done in moderation (esp. 1 & 2, as you get older).

Meditation can definitely aid with stress relief. The entire procedure can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, which involves repeating a mantra. The ironic thing is, I've been too busy recently to find the time, which only adds to my stress... go figure. Failing that, listening to some tunes, going out for a good meal and a drink, talking to a friend on the phone or taking a hot shower work well, too.

Getting back to the obvious, IMO sex is the best stress reliever - Btw... the body's subsequent release of endorphens is reportedly beneficial in getting rid of headaches too! (remember this the next time your partner says "not tonight... I've got a headache." *lol*!!)

Guest s******ecan****

Besides sex and exercise just breathing properly can do a lot for stree. Most of us breathe to shallow by habit. Learning to breath a little deeper can do wonders.

Guest W***ledi*Time

... didn't take long for the "besides the obvious" rule to fly out the window ... surprise!!!!

Work???? I know if you are stressed because of work you want to do the opposite but if I was to tell you work at something you enjoy, that is totally different, right? In my case I will go home and cut grass(12 acres) and trim trees and plant flowers or built a shed. In the winter months I will shovel snow and even go and do the neighbors driveway. For some its cleaning the house or a room in the house.

I will keep from taking a beer or drink because it does not give proper way to solve some problem(stress).

I live by the credo, "work is work and home is home." I do not bring home stress to work and I leave all the work stuff at the office. It is easier said than done but... it works well.

I used to have a 75-80 km commute each way to work and found that time was the best for releasing any pent up stress... not in a road rage way, but the music and the solitude. I was forced to concentrate on the road and as such, my mind would change gears... by the time I arrived at my destination I was good to go.

Ohhhhh yeah.... naps work well.... nothing like a nap to change the whole outlook on a day!

Guest S**a*Q

I love cleaning kitchens... washing dishes and the like...

I also love cooking to de-stress, hence the cleaning beforehand I think...

It all leads to the comfort foods I think.. I eat to be happy, so yeah food and what leads up to food is my de-stressor

For me it is one of Four things for stress relief :

1.) Ride my bicycle, with my IPOD chock full of Barry White, Barry Manilow, CHicago, The Eagles, Genesis, Pink FLoyd and ride for a few hours a a brisk pace....

2.) Play my drums, which I love to do, yet have very little time to do, and as you can imagine it is quite loud, so definitely not something I can do when their are people at home.

3.) Head to my local flying club, and go for a nice flight, just North of the GTA. The scenery from a few thousand feet in the air is simply breathtaking, and it's a nice change of pace for me.

4.) I have a large Fish tank in my basement, and often times just watching the fish go about their day to day lives is very relaxing and surprisingly peaceful....

SNK

I'll grab a bass and sit back with a solitary jam type thing. Play whatever ends up coming out - sometimes blues, sometimes jazzy type stuff or sometimes I'll get the funk out. I find I can loose myself and end up an hour or two later feeling all warm and fuzzy. 1st post on here - yay me :)

My friend works at a downtown Starbucks in Toronto. Having worked at bux myself, I can attest to the stress of the job.

Breath is the best defense, I agree. I was lucky enough to train myself at a realtively young age to not only beathe from the belly but also take long breaths and slow, long exhalations.

Horseback riding! I wish! I haven't ridden since coming to Ottawa.

Drums are highly theraputic. Hitting stuff with other stuff in general is theraputic :-)

I'll tell my friend to try some of these things (if they're in her budget). I know she has a djembe. I should tell her to trance drum more.

Posted via Mobile Device

Lindsay, i don't think i have read a post of yours, where I didn't have to google something !.......amazing.... :mrgreen:

A djembe (pronounced /ˈdʒɛmbeɪ/ 'JEM-bay') also known as jembe, jenbe, djimbe, jymbe, yembe, or jimbay, or sanbanyi in Susu; is a skin-covered hand drum shaped like a large goblet and meant to be played with bare hands.....:motion:

Everyday when I go home my 3 cats come to the front door to greet me. I sit down with them on the stairs for a few minutes and give them treats. I have even taught one of the cats to give me his paw in exchange for a cat treat. lol. I find that affection from pets is very important as they love their owners unconditionally.

Another thing I do is clean. I find it very therapeutic. My friends are always teasing me and telling me I'm OCD. I will go on a cleaning binge when in the mood and once taking a toothbrush to scrub the grout from the tiles. Other times I will have a lady come in a couple of times a month.

Eating chocolate. Yes, I have a sugar addiction!!

Sometimes I will go alone to a movie theatre in the afternoon on a weekday.

I spend a lot of time alone almost as much as I spend time with friends, family, people on the job so I am used to the solitude and of course the sound of the t.v. in the background.

Other things I do to de-stress; going to a day spa, listen to music, take a bath or just lay down on the couch and watch old reruns.

1 - Hook up the boat and go get lost on the Lake and fish a bit. You don't have to catch anything.

2 - put on the hiking boots and take a strole in the bush and yes sometimes actually get lost for a bit.

I can remember sitting one time still and just listening as a chipmunk came running along. Ran up my leg a bit till it realised something was wrong ...... when I introduced myself it jumped into the air about a foot and ran off after crapping on my leg ......... funniest thing I can ever remember seeing in the bush.

for me......

As you guessed it...yes masturbation......but not ALL the time...

other things.....working in my shop building, repairing, handyman stuff.....really relaxes me.

Becomming a couch potatoe and watching Discovery or History.......mellows me out..

I am looking into taking some Tai-chi training.......

I love getting away from it all to relax. Whether it's camping for a few days (an isolated spot, not a provincial park or municipal campground!), or hopping in the kayak and heading off with nowhere to go.

Sailing is also a great way to relax - there's just something about the feel of the wind in the sail and the sound of the waves that just makes the pressures of life fade away.

I will practically read anything you put in my hand!

I love to cook and find it very relaxing to peruse the cupboards and freezer and come up with a unique new dish!

Swimming for hours!