Ashley Madison Extortion Attempt

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Tonight I received an extortion email in regards to the Ashley Madison hack. Here is the cut and paste of the email leaving out the more personal details. I have deleted the personal email and the link to Bit Coin.

You are EXPOSED

Hey!

I would like to tell you that Ashley Madison was recently hacked, and now I have all the information about your online affairs and even the cheatings you did ;) I have located all your social networking and dating website profiles, and using this I am going to send message to all of your friends and family members about this.

Well, for sure, you would feel ashamed if I tell your family members and friends about this, and it would be even more worse, when you meet them face to face. Wondering how to prevent me from doing this? Its simple, you need to send just 1 Bitcoin (i.e One BTC) to the following Bitcoin address:

You may be wondering why should you and what will prevent other people from doing the same, in short you can now delete your social and dating accounts. So go ahead and give it a try. Do you think, you can get away so easily? I have already saved a copy of your profiles, pics, chat logs, and even the contact details of your relatives and friends.

To send a Bitcoin, you can use sites like CoinBase. If I do not receive the Bitcoin in the next 48 hours, I am going to contact all of your friends and relatives and post your profiles, pics, etc all ONLINE. Oh! I didnt tell you, that I know where you live and hangout, did I?

Just think if you are in committed relationship how this will affect your social standing amongst your friends, family members and others. Your countdown is started.

Good Luck!

I have received at least 10 of these threats on my home and work address. I do not open the attachment and I delete the messages as junk-mail. Nothing has come of the threats. Do check your Facebook accounts ans limit access to your information, as an individual may exploit your contact information for friends and family to carry out their threats. MLS

... even more worse, ...

I don't think you have anything to worry about from these barely literate boneheads. I seriously doubt they've got the skills and knowledge to hide their tracks!

Extortion is illegal, Ashley Madison, even if you were on it, isn't. If you were to forward the message to the police and if they're so inclined they could track down the extortionist. Just like they did the teenage bomb 'threateners' from West Quebec.

Edited by waterat
typo

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Just received the second one today. Same message but different sender.

I'm still waiting...set up an account, but didn't partake. Ignore.....they go away. Lock down your social media sites. Report anything else to crime stoppers.

It's really that easy.

Yeah, I suspect a cunning scammer would just send that e-mail to every single e-mail address they can get their hands on, without even knowing a thing about Ashley Madison or the recipient.

If just a small percentage of their e-mails go to people who happen to have had Ashley Madison accounts, and just a fraction of those people actually go ahead and pay, they're still ahead.

(You naturally left out the personal information you mentioned, so depending what that was, in your case it might have been more targeted than that. But unless there were AM account details, there's no telling where they got that from.)