Am I expecting too much?

I consider literacy important in all fields(it's appalling how much illiteracy is in the food service industry). I'd rather do business with someone more intelligent than someone less intelligent. I can forgive innocent typos and such, and have no problem with someone who doesn't speak english as a first language, but if it's your first language, use it well.

Previous generations put men into space, built pyramids, and eradicated small pox, but now if you ask someone to use an apostrophe correctly, "your" worse "then" Hitler.

Guest s******ecan****
I see this is a bit of an old thread, but I'm new and wasn't around when this discussion originally occurred and wanted to way in, because I completely agree with the poster.......

I couldn't care less about spelling and grammar....

and if you want to be a stickler its "weigh in" not "way in" :)

I confess that I do care about spelling and grammar. I can recognize that English is not someone's first language when he writes to me, and I'm happy to make all kinds of allowances for that. But I compose my ads and my website very carefully. I pay attention to what I write on CERB and other boards, too. Thoughtful e-mail that engages with me and what I've written matters a lot, whether the author writes as well as I do or not, because it shows me that he's taking me seriously. When I receive e-mail that's written in chat-speak or l33t, I press "delete." I know that the writer and I are unlikely to get along well. I also ignore one-liners, such as "Send yr rates & photos asap."

I also ignore one-liners, such as "Send yr rates & photos asap."

To that i respond: send me ur money! They either laugh and appologize, or don.'t bother to respond! If you can't beat them, sometimes,you have to join them lol

Posted via Mobile Device

I believe the reason behind abreviated text like CL and BP ad's is likely due to the them having always had a number of letter's limit that is very unreasonable. As far as I know there isn't the option to pay more to write more about yourself.

Granted, this leaves those who post on these sites, very little to do but abbreviate their ad, in hopes to give more info over longer words that are often abbreviated.

I'm SMH at self for responding to a thread this dated.

Now reconsidering the spelling errors I more than likely made, lol.

Thinking this is likely good a time as any to unglue self from my computer.

Posted via Mobile Device

Mistakes are mistakes....I am notorious at letting simple errors slip by me. But I still think by the way present my ads still would convey the type of person I am.

But Yes, I also do feel one should strive to present a well written ad, to show you do pay attention to the details. Can show how much effort you do put into your work and image.

When I see silly things like " i " instead of " I " this to me shows either it is 3am and writting....or just has not the professional mind to be proper. It could speak of their way of thinking in this industry. For those of us that want more than just our bodies to be represented, but our intellect and personality to show as well.

Now, as I am representing other ladies, I have to be super diligent in my efforts to be proper in spelling, grammar and composition. Which is added stress, lol...but I will always try my best:)

Sometimes at first, here on this site or advertising in general, an inexperienced lady may not see the importance of this. But in time they become better and more accustomed to the expectations in advertising.

I believe that one is not expecting too much to read an ad that is well composed, is grammatically correct, and hopefully without spelling errors.

My reasons for this are twofold, with the second being much more important.

On the one hand I know that I particularly enjoy the company of intelligent women and the ability to compose a proper ad may be an indication of this.

I pay much closer attention to those women who have shown that they take care, effort and pride in their writing and who distinguish themselves from others with their style of advertising. Right or wrong, my belief is that women who show those characteristics through their personal advertising are the same women who will take pride and care in a face to face meeting.

It is a question of professionalism and may be one of the characteristics that for me distinguishes some women as being members of the elite group of courtesans that we are able to interact with.

Now, I wondr howe many gremmer erors I hav in hear.

• Like 5

With all of the predictive text options along with spell/grammar check options available on today's devices, I can't see why it would be so difficult to compose a somewhat legible ad. I can understand language barriers and they don't bother me when I see that the intent was there.

• Like 1

I do not have a higher education and I'm really bad with spelling and grammar. I still try to put the best add I can out there. I make mistakes all the time. You can see on many occasions that I have edited my add. My attitude is find the mistake and fix it a.s.a.p and try to learn from it. Practice makes perfect, tho. The more I write the more comfortable I feel about my writing skills. It is a human trait to make mistakes. Sometimes it's our faults that make up part of who we are.

Let's put it this way...."du u wanna git wit me" is probably a problem while "do you want to get with me" while not ideal, is an improvement. Peachy, I see no fault in the way you express yourself!

Edited by Meg O'Ryan
Haha spelling error
  • Like 3

Let's put it this way...."du u wanna git wit me" is probably a problem while "do you want to get with me" while not ideal, is an improvement. Peachy, I see no fault in the way you express yourself!

A great example!!

And I also agree Peachy, you have nothing to worry about. You probably write as well, if not better, than many current university students.

Porthos

My comment was too long-winded an was cut-off. Someday I will count how many characters we are allowed!

What I was trying to say was that your posts show a lot of sincerity and innate intelligence. So in my opinion, that more than makes up for any minor difficulties with spelling and grammar. And I will add that you do not come across at all as someone who doesn't care or doesn't try. You have a good message and it comes across clearly.

I think that the problem with some of the poorly written ads is that they do not actually convey much of a message -- other than cum be wit me. An ad without a message but with perfect spelling and grammar will just be forgotten. But I think if an ad has no real message and it's full of mistakes you start to tie the two together and assume that a lack of intelligence and/or care must be involved. So there's a bit of a confirmation bias, maybe.

Just my thoughts.

I do not have a higher education and I'm really bad with spelling and grammar. I still try to put the best add I can out there. I make mistakes all the time. You can see on many occasions that I have edited my add. My attitude is find the mistake and fix it a.s.a.p and try to learn from it. Practice makes perfect, tho. The more I write the more comfortable I feel about my writing skills. It is a human trait to make mistakes. Sometimes it's our faults that make up part of who we are.
  • Like 1

Sometimes it's plain to see small writing mistakes that are due to the author's thinking first in her primary tongue. To me it's very sexy to hear a pretty lady speak English with a foreign, especially French, accent.

Therefore, when I see such a writing style, it makes me visualize how cute it would be to listen to the writer in person.

And by the way, I enjoy Peachy's fresh, non-pompous opinions as much as any on the board.

Thanks for the comments guys. I know that I have a good head on my shoulders. I have always been athletic type more than articulate type, imo. I'm more street smart than book smart. Also dealing with a learning disability A.D.H.D. it has always been hard for me to concentrate. So I make a lot of silly mistakes. At times I feel ocd because I check things over and over and I still make mistakes. I have learnt to just deal with it. Some people can be really critical about someone forgetting about stuff ie co-workers. I have just learnt that if my small mistakes are such a big deal to other people it's their problem not mine. Especially when it takes two seconds to fix.

I agree about slang in ads. It shows that you don't take your business seriously and it may attract the wrong kind of clients. I also agree that the message should flow together smoothly.

I'm happy that cerb is not that critical because I would have no clients because I am the edit queen.

Edited by Guest

With all of the predictive text options along with spell/grammar check options available on today's devices, I can't see why it would be so difficult to compose a somewhat legible ad.

Autocorrect :)

I think that the problem with some of the poorly written ads is that they do not actually convey much of a message

I disagree, here. Many poorly-written ads convey a very clear message to me, and that message is: "I don't give a shit." They might get a momentary curl of the lip, but that's about all.

I should add: there's a big difference between the occasional typo, or someone who's working in their second or third language, and someone who just can't be bothered.

Silly Mistakes make for great learning. Some of the most creative and intelligent people I know aren't always book smart/paper smart but are genius in ways to show or explain to you.

That must be where you shine ;)

Thanks for the comments guys. I have always been athletic more than articulate, imo. Also dealing with a learning disability A.D.H.D. it has always been hard for me to concentrate. So I make a lot of silly mistakes. At times I feel ocd because I check things over and over and I still make mistakes. I have learnt to just deal with it. Some people can be really critical about someone forgetting about stuff ie co-workers. I have just learnt that if my small mistakes are such a big deal to other people it's their problem not mine. Especially when it takes two seconds to fix.

I agree about slang in ads. It shows that you don't take your business seriously and it may attract the wrong kind of clients. I also agree that the message should flow together smoothly.

I'm happy that cerb is not that critical because I would have no clients because I am the edit queen.

Jmo, I think everyone should be given a chance. Call them, see what vibe you get when you talk to them. After all in an encounter compatability is far more important than sentence construction, grammer and spelling. We are all good at something, they may not be good at advertising, but their skills at other things may be mind blowing.

I once met a" guy", who was quite intelligent and well educated who told me because I wasn't and in this profession, I would never meet anyone nice! !!!@#%!@#....errr I thought..education certainly does not give one a good personality or character!

• Like 2

Jmo, I think everyone should be given a chance. Call them, see what vibe you get when you talk to them. After all in an encounter compatability is far more important than sentence construction, grammer and spelling. We are all good at something, they may not be good at advertising, but their skills at other things may be mind blowing.

I once met a" guy", who was quite intelligent and well educated who told me because I wasn't and in this profession, I would never meet anyone nice! !!!@#%!@#....errr I thought..education certainly does not give one a good personality or character!

Character, chemistry, integrity...that doesn't come from spelling words right. I've met people who had Ph.D's, who were so book smart, but had no common sense, nor for that matter, any integrity. If someone can communicate his/her thoughts on paper, that's what is important. If you are looking for a career as a proofreader in a publishing house, then focus on spelling and grammar. But don't expect a proofreader to provide the same escape that the ladies of CERB can provide

RG

• Like 1

im pritty dum but i think CERB iz funn!!!

• Like 1