Would you risk your life for a friend.....

After taking some me time and reading through this months Chatelaine (I bought it for the cupcake ideas) this article really made me think, it also brought tears to my eyes. After reading the article....Would you risk your life for a friend?

http://www.chatelaine.com/en/article/23093--would-you-risk-your-life-for-a-friend

• Like 1

I would risk my life for anyone in need. I don't think we truly know how strong we can be until we are in a situation and instinct takes over. Being a long haul truck driver you come across many situations where you can help someone out. I don't think I could respect myself if I did not at least try and help someone in need. I think our country is built on people risking their life to protect us all and our freedoms.

Posted via Mobile Device

Twice, both times very scary and nerve wrecking. But once the dust settles, incredibly humbling. Don't want to imagine the results if I did not act. Would do it again without hesitation.

Guest tr*****e

This sort of thing is what gives our lives meaning, imho. But you can never know just how strong you are until the particular situation arises. I think, though, that this is the ultimate act of love or affection, and if you fantasize about anything like this, it says a lot about the depth of your character.

These stories always bring a tear to my eye. It is interesting to read stories about how people have overcome such horrific things in their lives. I would do anything for my friends or even strangers if they were in trouble or just to survive. You really don't think about what to do in these sorts of situations until you're in it. Having once helped an elderly man out of a burning car on the 401 definitely opened my eyes to what we are capable of doing for others in a time of crisis.

Edited by Nicolette Vaughn
Lost paragraph

and it doesn't have to be a friend or family member. I've done it a few times...being trained as a F/A and taking cpr and first aid corses has become very helpful. Thanks for the stpry Em. My father was in world War 2 and he told us a few stories that would melt your heart. The courage and strenght these people had both the soliders and prisoners was incrediable.

I hope I would.......and I think we all hope we would.

I haven't been put in that situation but I hope I'd rise to the occasion. Easy to say I would but I don't believe anyone truly knows until faced with it.

Peace

MG

On two occasions in my life I have risked my life.... once to save a friend as well as once to save someone I didn't even know...who unfortunately didn't make it. I won't go into details but on both occasions if you would have asked me prior if I would do it I may have said no. I by no means mean to brag here either but my point is when the real life situation happens it is amazing how quick you react, make a split decision and act. Right or wrong. Once almost cost me my life, once almost cost me my job due to not following proper procedures but hey, would probably do it again. I saved someones life. He has a great wife and 3 great kids and lives life to the fullest. It makes me smile inside every time I see them.

I have never been in a situation where I needed to risk my life to save another but have saved a life nonetheless. I would in a heart beat!

I would like to think I would

I have saved a life, but no risk to me

And I really stuck my neck out (risked my job) to try to help someone once, but she didn't take the help seriously, and now, well she lost everything...her choice though

RG

I am going to echo what has been said before... I would think many of us would without thought; I know without hesitation that I would take a bullet for my kids.

If put more subtly, would you take great personal risk for a friend? The answer would be an absolute yes. Stepping between a friend and impending doom comes in all variations, from pushing them out of the way of a speeding car, rescuing them from a burning building or perhaps more appropriate standing between a drunken friend and an irate bouncer in an effort to avoid him being crushed by 97 inch biceps. Been there... done that.

I would and have. I think my military training comes into play here. I certainly assess the risk against what has to be done and act accordingly. I pulled a stranger off the rocks in Peggy's cove many years ago. He got too close to the water despite all the warning signs and got crashed by a big wave, breaking his ankle. I knew that bigger waves are "normally" followed by a series of smaller waves, so I decided that odds of me getting to him and hauling back to higher ground were in my favour, so I did it.

Was I actually risking my life, or serious injury? Probably yes, but I had decided the odds were in my favour, so I went for it. I imagine if the person needing help was someone I knew or family, the greater would be the odds I would accept.

I've knowingly and directly risked my life on three separate instances, twice for friends and once for a stranger. In the instance of the stranger I received lasting scars and a minor disability. So, in answer to the question...Yes. I would do it again.