Massage industry growing?

When I started massage 1.5 years ago, I didn't see too many providers advertising. Now it seems there are an abundance. I'm just as busy as when I first started, which would lead me to believe the hobbiests who enjoy massages has also greatly increased.

Do you think massage is becoming more popular in Ottawa?

Just on CERB, I've noticed that there more MP's advertising, and being active on the Board, so yes, it seems to be growing IMO...

I think there are definitely more independents/advertising MAs right now than before. Thankfully, Ottawa seems to be one of the busiest cities for massage and there are more than enough gents to keep us all busy- as a bonus with this much competition we're sure to stay on top of our game offering only our best services!

I wonder if the increase in MPs is correlated with a higher level of social acceptance, obviously we are still taboo for most but this could be a good sign for the times to come!

Guest s**nflute
When I started massage 1.5 years ago' date=' I didn't see too many providers advertising. Now it seems there are an abundance. I'm just as busy as when I first started, which would lead me to believe the hobbiests who enjoy massages has also greatly increased.

Do you think massage is becoming more popular in Ottawa?[/quote']

I agree, when I first started in the hobby back in the early 90's, there was Michelle's on Lola and Donald, and there was Maureen's Masso and maybe a few others. Then came the Internet.

I don't doubt that it is growing and becoming more popular, but it is difficult to gauge by how much. Part of the perceived growth/popularity is the visibility and information afforded by the internet. Much of the business was underground before, but today we talk about it more openly on boards like this... and with providers actively participating... which helps. Also, attitudes are changing, particularly among the law enforcement community; so we're not so afraid of getting "caught" (in many cases doing something legal). Gone are the days that I feel compelled to park my car blocks away and take a circuitous route to an MP.

It would be interesting to know what the true growth of the massage industry is in Ottawa and in general?

• Like 2

Since I only began hobbying less than a year ago I don't know about trends.

But I do know I was fortunate enough to meet a great lady and MA who was doing a tour, and from this guy's perspective, the time with her was as fulfilling and rewarding as any encounters I have had with my favorite SP's

RG

I find there are more quality indie providers recently. If you ladies are all busy, it means more gents enjoy it.

Do you think massage is becoming more popular in Ottawa?

I don't know, maybe there are more independent massage places around now. Let's face it the City of Ottawa has all but shut down any further expansion of new massage places (unless they want to expand out in the boonies, far from residential areas). But the private single-masseuse places might be increasing. In fact, the growth in private places might be increasing precisely because of the inability to open up new multiple-employee places.

I take it as this....with increased internet use and accessibility to the net.....mix that with the lack of entertainment in Ottawa for years......you get an increase......

almost supply and demand...

I am not sure about the demand increasing. Definitely the internet has opened up access by the independents to advertise cheaply and more easily. I think boards like this allow girls who provide a good service and generate a regular clientele to flourish ( for example Megan).

But the reason I'm not sure the demand has increased, is that I'm seeing more special offers and discounts being offered which tends to suggest there may not be enough clients for everyone. I'm sure that there is a fairly large group of MPs and customers that don't necessarily reflect the views here or are aware of Cerb, those that deal through the Sun for example.

I have noticed an increase in both independent MA and SP ads in the past year.

I am not sure if there is an increase in demand for services, but there certainly are more ladies to choose from.

Speaking as someone who has been hobbying for close to 20 years now, I can tell you for a fact that this trend is cyclical. It is not that there is more acceptance or less acceptance, the truth of the matter is that new SPs and MAs cycle through the industry.

It is true that the internet has made it somewhat more pervasive but keep in mind that before that, the means of communication was done through the classified as well as the good old phone book.

Speaking as someone who has been hobbying for close to 20 years now, I can tell you for a fact that this trend is cyclical. It is not that there is more acceptance or less acceptance, the truth of the matter is that new SPs and MAs cycle through the industry.

It is true that the internet has made it somewhat more pervasive but keep in mind that before that, the means of communication was done through the classified as well as the good old phone book.

I don't doubt that the massage industry is cyclical like any other industry. And it is possible that it may be experiencing an upswing of its natural cycle right now. But I also think the overall market is growing. The reason? The internet.

The impact of the internet on the massage industry (and sex industry) is significant. Communication is the key. The internet is enabling communication within the industry in a way that didn't exist before. Phone books and the classifieds (yesterday's tools) are media for advertising, not real communication (by which I mean a two-way dialog). The internet allows forums and communities like cerb to exist; online havens where clients and providers and the curious can learn more about the industry and each other. It enables a level of comfort and familiarity with the industry that previously would have taken years of first-hand experience to attain, if at all. The industry becomes demystified for everyone involved and not involved. Moreover, the online communities provide aspiring MAs and independents with a support network of mentors, consultants and confidantes to help them take the plunge. This I would expect, makes it less intimidating for new providers to start. So yes, I think because of the internet we are seeing an unprecedented growth in both clients and MAs (and maybe independents too).

Edited by bewlayb
Course correction. Veering off topic.