Good Place to Live in Halifax

Hello Everyone!

This is my first thread!  So exciting :) 

I am looking for recommendations for a good area of town to find a place to live.  Looking for reasonably priced apartments.  I'm not from around here, and apparently there are some really 'bad' areas in this city!  I recently had someone refuse to come see me as the apartment I'm currently staying in is considered to be a 'bad' area.  Who knew??  I certainly didn't.

I just moved here from out West and I guess we don't have areas like that out there.  Surrey can be bad, but it really isn't one area, and if you're not in a gang, you're generally ok.

Grateful for any input! :) ❤️

• Like 1

There are some nice, reasonably priced places in Clayton Park... that’s about 10 to 15 minutes from downtown.  The closer you get to the city center, of course the more expensive the rent. I remember years ago, I lived on Spring Garden Road (downtown, south end) right in the heart of everything. I lucked out since I got a great apartment for a steal! Lol The downside was that, being prime real estate, the rent went up like clockwork. Bedford is a nice area (suburbs) but may be a bit more pricey. It might take a bit of looking and a bit of luck to find your perfect spot. Dartmouth (across the harbour) also has some decent areas which are reasonably priced. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Guest MelanieRose

Halifax/Dartmouth is very similar, I wouldn't say there is any super bad areas to avoid, most crime that happens is by people who are known to each other! As long as you're not into anything I'm sure you will be fine!

I've lived in Fairview/Clayton park for a while and if you like Halifax, theres some nice places there that are reasonable! North end Halifax is nice, or out near the Armdale Rotary.. theres some decent buildings on Olivet street, right beside the mall.   I saw an affordable place in Bedford on kijiji , I've been in the building and it's pretty nice. Also Downtown Dartmouth is a nice place to live, I would say north Dartmouth too because of its proximity to everything but you will get a lot of backlash if you were to move there as a lot of people think it's a bad area, If you need help looking, I love finding good deals in good places and my friends and family always come to me if they're looking to rent somewhere new.

Wherever you look at, if you see tenants around the building or in lobby, tell them you're thinking of moving in and wondering what they think of the place, because people who are trying to sell the place to you will often tell you all the good things, and if theres issues with a building, tenants should be more than happy to tell you about them.

If you are thinking of an apartment building, no matter what area, make sure you ask if the building has had any reports of bedbugs, you can also search the address online on bed bug registry, they are everywhere from the nicest new condos to the older buildings built in the 70's. Not every place has them of course , but enough to make it a point to ask about it. I would ask the tenants, not the person you're renting from as I've heard of people move in somewhere, buy all new furniture, just to have it all go in the trash 2 months later.

PM me if you would like 🙂

Edited by MelanieRose
P.S Welcome to NS, I hope you like it here !😃

I live in Fairview.  I love it.  I know it has a bad rap but it is really changing with all the condos going up and new shopping moving in, also perfect access to Bayers Lake.  

While I have a dream of having my own homestead with acreage to hunt, trap and fish on, I think I will stay in Fairview/Clayton Park until I reach that dream 

• Like 3

Thank you all so much :)  

Melanie, thank you for the reminder about bugs!  I will have to keep that in mind and include that in my search strategy.

Cheers!

Raquel

Further to what Melanie said, there’s actually a website called bedbugregistry.com which will give a list of places. A quick glance showed 212 reported apartments in the Halifax area. If you google “Halifax Bedbugs”, it should come up as one of your first hits.

• Thanks 2

One thing about the bedbugs, it's not so much the address showing up on the registry, as how many times it shows up.

In a large residential building with dozens and dozens of units, lots of people moving in and out, sooner or later, bedbugs might be brought in. They are not caused by dirtyness, they can infest the nicest places and hotels. How owners react is key. Too many owners/landlords would not react quickly or treat all surroundings units, so when a unit is cleared of bugs, they have already moved to the next ones and it never ends. 

I'm not overly concerned if my building showed up once on the registry. But you'll notice some buildings or renting companies will show up over and over, and those are the ones to run away from, as they do not care about fixing the issue. Taking extra time to read Google reviews, local subreddits, etc. can help you dogde bullets.

Edited by DyatlovPass