Harper's double standard disgusts me. As Michael Ignatieff said it well, "booting out of his party in April 2010 the female MP Helena Guergis for allegations that turned out to be unsubstantiated by the RCMP, while tolerating Carson, working as his right-hand man for two years despite a raft of documented legal transgressions.

Having a convicted criminal in his office as advisor (Bruce Carson) and then dismissing someone cleared of any wrong doing by RCMP (Helena Guergis) and not apologizing or admitting mistake shows his true right wing anti-feminism nature. Disgusting!!!.

I don't think any of those leaders are honest ,or that they don't do shit that is wrong or say shit that isn't true. Don't be fooled into thinking that the liberals or NDP are any better then the PC's. just vote for whom ever you feel will screw you in a way you can live with.

You are going to get screwed like it or not......not always the way we are looking to get screwed.....that is a given.

Well, I have stayed out of this discussion and primarily because of feeling the same frustrations so often expressed here.

However, I refuse to NOT vote.

I am travelling from coast to coast, leaving on Sunday so will miss election day and the advance polls. I went to the main electoral office and cast my Green party vote, probably as much a protest vote as anything.

Regardless, everyone, VOTE. And yeah, Harper is a very scary man. (Sorry)

I actually didn't think it was a pro Liberal post, but since the Liberals are the Conservatives primary opponents, I thought that it was quite probable that you would see a list of their past offences to balance the flaws of Harper and the Conservatives. As I said, I've seen it happen on a number of other news and political boards where someone will post a complaint about one of the two bigger parties and supporters of the other side will present a laundry list of their opponent's failures.

I don't really know where you got the impression that me posting this was somehow pro-liberal. To be frank, I think all parties misrepresent the beliefs I hold of what it would look like to live in a more just world. I was merely pointing out that the Harper government has destroyed much of the gains that social movements in this country have achieved and have been working on for a long time. I don't think the Liberals are much better and I'm not sure why everyone keeps playing this game of 'either or'. It's quite telling of both our political system and our electoral system.

Sky

This article explains quite well where he is coming from and where he is heading:

Why Canadians Must Say No to Harper

Will He be the Man Who Killed Medicare?

http://counterpunch.org/dobbin04182011.html

Thisone is a far interesting one about F-35 and why we don't need these planes:

Canada and the F-35

By WINSLOW T. WHEELER

http://www.counterpunch.org/wheeler04122011.html

Weird thing is, the current gov't is a minority. So any legislation inherantly needs the support of non-conservatives....

This article explains quite well where he is coming from and where he is heading:

Why Canadians Must Say No to Harper

Will He be the Man Who Killed Medicare?

http://counterpunch.org/dobbin04182011.html

Thisone is a far interesting one about F-35 and why we don't need these planes:

Canada and the F-35

By WINSLOW T. WHEELER

http://www.counterpunch.org/wheeler04122011.html

I'm probably going to regret asking, but I cant resist: why should the goverment pay, using your tax money, for someone else's health care? Shouldn't that be their responsibility?

I'm probably going to regret asking, but I cant resist: why should the goverment pay, using your tax money, for someone else's health care? Shouldn't that be their responsibility?

This would work if our society wasn't characterized by economic stratification in which a large percentage of the population would not be able to pay for their own health care if they had to.

...why should the goverment pay, using your tax money, for someone else's health care? Shouldn't that be their responsibility?

Could rant with a bunch of reasons.

I will leave it with, Less sick and dying in the streets !

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-06-05/health/bankruptcy.medical.bills_1_medical-bills-bankruptcies-health-insurance?_s=PM:HEALTH

Edited by Suzirider
added link

There is some good news in all this!

Nothing compares the SHIT Bush did!

Very, very, very true, but......um...... Bush is American. Last I checked, I'm Canadian.

I think Harper is just as bad as Bush. I also wouldn't be surprised if he has American backing.

Harper stands for every reason why I'm glad I'm not American. ugh, I hate him so much.

I don't hate Americans, just their politics. Their stance on gay rights, health care, prostitution, and weed.

In two words, social justice. Canada, though not perfect, is different with US (and most of the world) as it is a society who cares about the sick and the weak and the defenceless. Most are prepared to pay more and see that the sick is taken care of, and most would not like to see money buying good health but rather an equal access health system regardless of a citizen's bank account and I happen to be one who believes in that.

• Like 1

Points to ya for asking an honest question. As others have brought up, this nation decided some time ago that it wasn't just an estranged mass of individuals: we're a community, and have a collective responsibility to support one another.

If someone is being beaten on the street, should I just walk by because self-defense is the victim's own responsibility? If I walk by a starving person, should I quietly congratulate myself on my own good fortune, or share my food?

In Canada these things aren't left to individual whims, they're collective civic duties that we all support with our taxes. It's a defining feature of the nation. It got that way because at some point, a majority felt it was better to live together and help one another. The alternative is to live our lives fragmented down to strictly self-interested economic agents, each of us an island unto ourselves.

As balances go between hyper-individualistic Libertarians ("Who is John Galt!?") and flat-out nobody-owns-anything-everybody-owns-everything Communists ("The state will wither away. We promise!"), I think Canada's approach is pretty darned good.

• Like 2

Canada, though not perfect, is different with US (and most of the world) as it is a society who cares about the sick and the weak and the defenceless.

Not really. Many countries just don't have the money, but I think most countries that can afford it understand that society at large has at least some moral obligation to help the most vulnerable. In fact, I can only think of one country (in fact, only really half - politically - of one country) that really espouses the "Stop bothering me and go away and die in a ditch somewhere" philosophy.

Not really. Many countries just don't have the money, but I think most countries that can afford it understand that society at large has at least some moral obligation to help the most vulnerable. In fact, I can only think of one country (in fact, only really half - politically - of one country) that really espouses the "Stop bothering me and go away and die in a ditch somewhere" philosophy.

Actually Phaedrus I think that there are many countries (most countries in the world if you include all the 5 continents) that wealth is not fairly distributed and priorities are not assigned right. For example even in many poor countries billions upon billions of dollars are spent on military and secret police ....etc. to keep the hated regime in power and relatively very little on health and sick people. So if there is many to buy tanks and missiles and guns why not for health of the nation?. And there are many many examples of such countries in asia, africa, middle east and central/south america. But if by most countries you meant most countries in Europe and North America, then I agree with you but not most in the all 5 continents.

it's amazing to me that such a large percentage of the population has been brainwashed to believe that the less fortunate are where all our tax money goes. Meanwhile those behind the scenes funding the politicians reap the rewards of military spending, resource rights ... the list goes on and on.

We are so far right of where we were not that long ago......it's quite disheartening to me ...

thanks everyone like minded for making me feel at home here!

Why should the government pay, using taxpayers' money, for "regime change" in Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia, Iran, etc. Shouldn't that be their responsibility?

I'll take health care over war any day.

Take a trip to Texas, any town will do, and call a public meeting. At that meeting tell all in attendance that they are no longer allowed to own firearms. The reaction you get would be on par with what would happen if OUR health care system was taken from us. Point being people from other countries will never know what our health system means to us. Just the same as we, Canadians, will never know or understand what the right to bear arms means to Americans!

As I suspected, I regret asking the question (smile). I respect your positions. As a conservative in the U.S., I would have a blast exploring them all, but I'm going to steer clear.

Maybe if there are separate threads on some of these topics, I would chime in. For instance, it would be fun to debate the whole topic of "social justice" (whatever the hell that is ... smile) with my friend SA, but not here and not now.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled Harper-bashing program!

with its title, it is clear that this thread is all about bashing Harper. Other threads are more balanced regarding which party, and leader, may be best to steer the country in the next few years.

As for KF post, it is true that as a real U.S. conservative, one may be considered somewhat too much to the right on a Canadian scale. Imagine arguing the NPD case down in some states in the U.S. Talk about the loonie left, lol!

"Human rights commissions, as they are evolving, are an attack on our fundamental freedoms and the basic existence of a democratic society... It is in fact totalitarianism. I find this is very scary stuff."

Stephen Harper

Really?! I am ashamed to share names with this hair sprayed hick with a "lego man" hair cut.

245782790_bf12ba8df3.jpg

Go ahead compare...

harper.jpg

Come on folks, I know we are a community here but the common thread is not politics.

I'm a bit of a politico junkie in real life and enjoy a great debate. To be honest though, I really would rather share politcal conversations in other venues - CERB is not the platform for airing political rants / views / opinions in my humble view.

Remember, why did we log on here - To talk about a Harper / Igggy / Layton threesome - not.....

Musings from an amateur political junkie who loves the ladies...

Kubrickfan, you bring up a good point but medicare is an institution north of the border. What is more surprising to me on this thread is the Harper-bashing and comparisons to the right-wing U.S. In my mind, and having travelled extensively throughout Canada and the States, the Conservative Party is more like the Democrats in the States - we don't have a comparable party to the Republicans. In fact, every party in this country is very centric, saying that we have left or right wing parties is really not true and I personally don't think there will be any difference no matter who is in power. The changes in this country over the last 30 years are due to 3 main factors in my view and they have nothing to do with the ruling party.

-- the obsessive pursuit of power through politics by business leaders and academics

-- the obscene amount of money paid to C-level executives compared to the average worker (in 1980, the ratio of executive pay to the average worker was about 50:1, today it's more like 350:1). People who think that they're worth that much more than the average person are on some power trip, imo.

-- the power of the unions who demanded more and more for their members until jobs eventually got outsourced to more "economically viable" locations. One only needs to look at the federal government jobs here in Ottawa to realize that unions have run amok in this country - having protected jobs that anyone can do and having those jobs provide pensions and health care benefits that most of us can only dream about is wrong. There are thousands of Canadians that would take those jobs at 25% less pay and balance the equilibrium to a fair market economy. If the federal civil service was part of the free market economy, they would end up like GM, Ford and Chrysler unionists - they'd quickly find out that what they do can be done for much less by people who are just as qualified.

The common theme to the problems is not right-wing or left-wing, it's greed and, in my view, Iggy, Harper, Jack, Duceit, or May are all in it for their own power-hungry purposes - not for you or me.

That's my 2 cents, I don't see a change no matter which box my pencil happens to X on election day...... but I'll vote Conservative just because I want a majority party and stop this effin' nonsense of elections every 2 years and watching the grown-up children pander for my vote.

• Like 1