To answer or not answer?

If a lady is fully booked for the day, should she answer her phone?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. If a lady is fully booked for the day, should she answer her phone?

• Yes
    • No

I recently started using the phone for those who like to repeat their visits with me. I am still screening new gentlemen via email. An interesting dilema has unfolded.

Should I answer the phone if I'm fully booked for the day?

I have been answering for three reasons:

-So you don't have to keep trying and can move on to see another provider if you so desire.

-To tell you of other days I'm available (No I can't see you today, but I am available all day tomorrow!)

-I feel (perhaps unjustafiably) that it is rude to ignore a phone call of someone who's been good to me just because I don't need their business.

However, some people seem annoyed when I answer my phone and then decline to meet with them due to being booked for the day :(

What do you think?

EDIT: Very interesting that so far the majority voted "no". If this is what people would prefer, I will change the way I do things!

Edited by Megan'sTouch

If I am booked, then obviously I cannot answer my phone while I am with a client. In between calls, I do attempt to answer my phone, but I am not always able to.

I always ask that callers leave a message indicating whether they they want me to call them back.

If they are looking for same day, and I'm not available, I just tell them so, asking them to consider me for another time.

I recently started using the phone for those who like to repeat their visits with me. I am still screening new gentlemen via email. An interesting dilema has unfolded.

Should I answer the phone if I'm fully booked for the day?

I have been answering for three reasons:

-So you don't have to keep trying and can move on to see another provider if you so desire.

-To tell you of other days I'm available (No I can't see you today' date=' but I am available all day tomorrow!)

-I feel (perhaps unjustafiably) that it is rude to ignore a phone call of someone who's been good to me just because I don't need their business.

However, some people seem annoyed when I answer my phone and then decline to meet with them due to being booked for the day :(

What do you think?

[/quote']

I'm fairly new at this as well, I find how your currently handling phone calls is the right way. I assume most guys who call you want a current day appointment, but if your busy with another client, could you not update your voicemail message stating your fully booked for the day ?

Don't understand why people would be annoyed your not available, the world does not revolve around them. LOL

Great poll, Megan! I've often wondered this myself. I tend not to answer my phone if I am booked. If they would leave a message indicating if they would like a call-back I'd be happy to call them in between, but they almost never do.

I'm fairly new at this as well, I find how your currently handling phone calls is the right way. I assume most guys who call you want a current day appointment, but if your busy with another client, could you not update your voicemail message stating your fully booked for the day ?

I don't have voicemail at the moment. The whole phone thing is new to me. I prefer email. I'm not sure if I would want voicemail or not. I seem to be overwhelmed with email, PM's on CERB, text messages, and phone calls.

...I have been answering for three reasons:

-To tell you of other days I'm available (No I can't see you today' date=' but I am available all day tomorrow!)

-I feel (perhaps unjustafiably) that it is rude to ignore a phone call of someone who's been good to me just because I don't need their business...[/quote']

I agree with all these reasons.

...update your voicemail message stating your fully booked for the day...

If you are unable to answer the phone or have someone do it for you, updating your voicemail announcement would be great for you and the caller.

Another nice touch could be to offer the callers an extra free time or something else if they book now for another (slower) day.

Guest Ou**or**n
I don't have voicemail at the moment. The whole phone thing is new to me. I prefer email. I'm not sure if I would want voicemail or not. I seem to be overwhelmed with email' date=' PM's on CERB, text messages, and phone calls.[/quote']

You could still have a voicemail message that indicates your status for the day and states your upcoming availability. You could further state however that you don't check or return voicemail messages and request the caller try again at another time or contact you via email (and give them the address). If this sounds like a lot of work I've noticed my doctor has his voicemail updated daily and its about 4 minutes long as it gives numerous alternate numbers and instructions for emergencies and so on.

You could still have a voicemail message that indicates your status for the day and states your upcoming availability. You could further state however that you don't check or return voicemail messages and request the caller try again at another time or contact you via email (and give them the address). If this sounds like a lot of work I've noticed my doctor has his voicemail updated daily and its about 4 minutes long as it gives numerous alternate numbers and instructions for emergencies and so on.

That sounds like a good idea! I'm going to look into it. Thank you for the suggestion.

That sounds like a good idea! I'm going to look into it. Thank you for the suggestion.

If your cell phone charges for voice mail and you tend to have a computer with you at all times consider trying out freephoneline.ca.

It is a free VOIP (voice of IP) supported by ads.

There are any number of services out here that you can call forward to (15 seconds effort) to personally (and anonomously) take your message and text you the info for your later response. I use a service here in Halifax that I turn on and turn off several times throughout the day rather than using my secretary.

Nothing replaces the personal, human touch unless of course you want to be one of the regular, run-of-the-mill SP`s....

Musings from a guy who values connection.

I would agree that if you are interacting with your clients either through voice or email, a response is always appreciated, and it shows that you value them. The challenge is to manage the demand side of the equation if you are unable to respond to all of them within an acceptable time-frame, (which is a key management challenge for all businesses, large or small)

K

However' date=' some people seem annoyed when I answer my phone and then decline to meet with them due to being booked for the day :(

What do you think?[/quote']

I think this is just silly, I'm afraid. I fail to see how knowing that you're unavailable today is worse than not knowing because you didn't answer the phone. I also fail to see how you're supposed to know, when your phone rings, that the caller is interested in booking today rather than tomorrow. Getting pissy because the person you called is already booked is just ridiculous.

EDIT: Very interesting that so far the majority voted "no". If this is what people would prefer' date=' I will change the way I do things![/b']

Things appear to have changed :) I'm very much in the 'keep answering the phone' camp - I'd far rather know that it's not worth trying again today, if that's all I care about! Although the suggestions about keeping an up-to-date voicemail message are also good ones, if you decide to go that route.

I don't have voicemail at the moment. The whole phone thing is new to me. I prefer email. I'm not sure if I would want voicemail or not. I seem to be overwhelmed with email' date=' PM's on CERB, text messages, and phone calls.[/quote']

You should have voicemail set up because when you don't your phone will ring and ring and ring. With a voice message, you simply say you are not available now, leave a message (most will NOT), and carry on. There is no point using the phone if they cannot reach you in some way, and a voice message and so they can leave a message is how that can be done. My message changes all the time, if I am not available all day, if I am just out for 5 minutes, they will hear it and know they have an option leave the message, call back, call another day.

Also, not every single caller is looking for a same day appt. Not to mention, one of those prebooked clients may end up having to cancel, so yes you will have an opening. One of the callers might be ok with a call back if that happens. Plus, answering the phone is part of your introduction to yourself/advertising. Not answering it when you are between appts doesn't make sense if you don't have a voice message telling them to try back tomorrow, but then how will you set up appts for tomorrow if you are not answering the phone today? lol

Great Job Megan! You are obviously worth waiting to see he he. A personalized voicemail as to your status for the day would definately be appreciated by the gents :) It could go something like this " Sorry I missed your call. Today is Sunday and I am fully booked today however your call is important to me if you wish to leave your name and phone or e-mail me at [email protected] I would be more than happy to get back to you at my earliest convience".

And once you are booked a week in advance I think you might be needing a receptionist lol. Kudo's to you chicky keep up the great work!

Yes,

the basic point of answering the call or providing up to date information is valid. From your point of view, the challenge is dealing with the flow of calls. You may use voice mail with the option of leaving a message (based on your instructions regarding date, timeframe, with regular updates, etc.), while indicating that it is easier for you to manage this through email. Being polite and responsive is all good, being on the receiving end of 50+ calls a day wouldn't be as much fun!

Good advise from Angela. This is what I say Megan.

*If you are in buisness answer your phone. Not only is it good buisness practice it it good manners.

*When you answer, if you can't talk give him a time what would be suitable to call back.

*If you are in "session" give him a oppertunity to leave a message.

*If you can't take a 24 hour 7 day schedule ( and that is understandable) leave a message on you answering machine that you can not be available on ," Sunday or Monday/ or today (what ever) please call another time or leave a message"

*If you answer and the "gentleman" is pissy that you can't see him today (or tomorrow or next week), he is likely someone that you didn't want to see anyway. Let him be pissy, you be courteous, and allow someone else the pleasure of his company.

*If this is a profession (and I believe it is) then it needs to be handled in a professional manner. Answering your clients (unless you are in session) is professional.

This is coming from someone that answer his own phone dozens of times a day.Yes there are times when I could club the damned thing with a hammer but when I lift that reciever and there is a potential customer on the other end it is just her and me , and for that minute or minute and a half she knows that her needs are the most important thing in the world to me.

It works for me and has worked for a long time.

Good luck and take care ....chicas/chavez

I am a supporter of answering the phone. That tells me that you are still in business. But a status message would do the same.

I am generally calling to make an appointment for a day or two out and would prefer an answer, if not otherwise busy, so we can find a time/day that we can schedule.

I answer my phone when I am working and able to, booked or not and I also have a voice message stating my status. With that if a message is left, most do not leave a name or time that they would like a call back by. Then I become very hesitant to call back for obvious reasons, if I am not given a name or at least a "safe" time I usually won't call back. This usually only happens with someone new. Regulars I know when and when not to call back.