Proposed Crime Bill Makes Anonymity and Hyperlinks Illegal in Canada

Guest S**a*Q

Will anonymity and hyperlinks be illegal in Canada?

A new crime bill proposed by the Conservative government suggests that it would. The bill, one of several that is scheduled to be read in Parliament, would make it illegal to create hyperlinks to content considered to be illegal or to use a pseudonym online.

On the surface the idea is ridiculous. Both of these things are central to making the Internet what it is - a vehicle for citizen-centric dialogue and sharing information. Surely the government would never adopt such a position!

But during the past election campaign Stephen Harper made it clear that he intended to ram through a collection of crime bills within his first 100 days of office. These bills include, among other things, allowing government increased power to monitor your activities online. They also include a provision that would penalize people for linking to content that is considered 'hate speech' and for using names that protect their anonymity online.

These laws are meant to give police more powers to fight hate speech and harassment but as a recent Macleans article points out, they are poorly written and vague, leaving them far too open to interpretation.

While advocating and perpetuating hate should absolutely not be tolerated, the proposed crime bill does not make a distinction between people who are spreading hate and those who comment on it. Should it not be our right as citizens to be able to comment on things, regardless of their content? Restricting our ability to do so is a serious violation of our freedom of speech.

As written, the crime bill holds us responsible for the actions of other people. The content of websites on the internet changes all the time. Something that you link to today could contain hate speech tomorrow, and you have no control over that content.

This legislation will inhibit dialogues that need to happen in our society and punish people for exercising their right to freedom of speech.

Canadians need a citizen-centric and affordable internet that enables them to speak openly about issues that matter to them. It's clear that these new crime bills are taking us in the wrong direction.

This is why it is so important that we grow our Pro-Internet Community and continue to pressure the government to promote an open and affordable internet that serves the public. Together we can keep the government accountable and the internet free.

See full article here.

Conservative policy convention is in Ottawa June 9 - 11 at the new convention centre.

I had plenty of concerns as some may recall my posts during the election 2011, to see a conservative government elected especially as a majority as my guess was that these guys wish to establish a police state similar to dictatorships in oppressive regions of the world and it appears that I may not have been wrong. Only in those countries the governments monitor the internet and put citizens in jail for what they say is inappropriate. No wonder the cons wanting to build so more jails lol!!!!. What happened to free speech....Although they say that they wish to fight hate speech and harassment but since they are poorly written and vague, leaving them far too open to interpretation, then everyone for saying anything can risk jail time lol. This is not the free country that we used to have before May 4, 2011 lol.

Edited by S*****t Ad*****r

Yep. And just wait until they roll out the "This bill is aimed at catching criminals. If you oppose this, it must be because you support terrorists and pedophiles" line.

Guest S**a*Q

Well, I guess I'll just have to legally change my name to Sara McQuestion,

then I'm not breaking any laws!

The slippery slope.

Enter the Thought Police.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brother_(Nineteen_Eighty-Four)

The lawyers will be busy.

Who decides 'illegal content', ' hate speech' ?

An "identifiable group" is just about anybody.

Fear of something will become a criminal act.

In Europe islamophobia = criticism of religeon = hate speech.

( can't happen here you think)

http://www.chroniclewatch.com/2011/05/06/islam-in-europe-ends-free-speech/

If I link to a site that represents an "identifiable group", pointing out their hate speech, who is now breaking the law ?

We civilians are supposed to shut up, and let the Cons (with their half baked laws) handle everything.

And, imagine if you had to use your real name only on the net.

When I search my cerb handle, I can find what I posted here !

My employer does not need to know my personal life !

It will be very interesting to see what happens if this turkey bill flies.

TOR is definitely worth looking at. Now, if only they'd get the TorButton app fixed up so it officially works with FF4...

TOR is definitely worth looking at. Now, if only they'd get the TorButton app fixed up so it officially works with FF4...

This sounds like a proxy server to me. If someone really wants to find you, they can. It just takes more time and effort.

This sounds like a proxy server to me. If someone really wants to find you, they can. It just takes more time and effort.

It's quite a lot more than a proxy - in particular, proxies are just one intermediate machine that may well keep logs and probably has no encryption, whereas TOR uses multiple hops with multiple layers of encryption and keeps no logs at all.

Which still isn't to say that you couldn't be tracked though TOR - but it'd be a lot harder than just getting the logs from a proxy.

It's quite a lot more than a proxy - in particular, proxies are just one intermediate machine that may well keep logs and probably has no encryption, whereas TOR uses multiple hops with multiple layers of encryption and keeps no logs at all.

Which still isn't to say that you couldn't be tracked though TOR - but it'd be a lot harder than just getting the logs from a proxy.

Thanks for the clarification; I stand corrected.