An Interview With... SWAN Vancouver - Anti-trafficking Campaigns and the Demonisation of the Sex Industry

7 hours ago, lydiahardwood said:

Sex work and human trafficking are separate, complex issues that should not be confused  with one another. 

This. I *really* wish everyone could magically be made to understand this.

The problem is that trafficking stories that involve things like the agriculture or domestic services industry don't get anything like the attention, because... sex sells, I guess.

Anyways, another awesome interview! Thanks!

• Like 5

I agree with @Phaedrus' comments. This excellent interview - thank you SWAN and also to @lydiahardwood for putting these important issues in front of us. I will be thoroughly reviewing SWAN's website and sending a 'message of kindness' to their 'message of hope board'.

Many of the points here took me back to the discussions around  the passage of Bill C-36 and our resulting law regarding sex work: now we have a 'Nordic' model which makes sex work more dangerous for the providers and has likely exacerbated labour trafficking by putting it out of sight while sex frafficking (for which there were already existing laws) may not have been impacted at all. Many of the arguments made in support of Bill C-36 conflated trafficking and sex work - so sad that Joy Smith and Peter MacKay were given such voice.

Apparently there are other areas than Covid management that we should be paying attention to New Zealand on.

• Like 5

Very enlightening. Thank you @lydiahardwood for doing this interview, and thank you to SWAN for all of the important work that you do. While sex trafficking is a real problem, it is imperative that we not allow it to become an excuse to legislate morality. Thank you for shining a spotlight on the harm that it can do. Education is key. Well done. Keep it up.

• Like 3

I enjoyed this eloquent interview incredibly! I will most definitely be looking into more on SWAN.

If you ever make it as far as Ontario I would adore using my hands and head in any way possible to help.

Thank you Andi and Lydia for this amazing interview. Including this was a brilliant idea 💋

• Like 3