Syphilis cases rise in Halifax

Guest W***ledi*Time

Thank you for posting such an informative and important subject. It would only be responsible for everyone to go get tested.

I had seen a recent comment in a Health forum seciton by the std clinic in vancouver, providing the information that Edmonton was concerned enough by the rising rates to produce an information site.

Not sure if its .com or something else, but the site is called plentyofsyph

And yes, there does seem to be a direct correlation to the increase of bbbj and other uncovered services and the report of what used to be rarely mentioned stds.

My suggestion is that the infection is more wide spread, but the majority of heterosexual people are not getting tested. This is really common, and there are many people out there who might see a symptom, but when it passes think they are OK. Obviously, if the std is being passed around, someone out there is not ok.

Just wondering about the gentlemens thoughts about this and about seeing an SP who offers BBBJ? Just because an SP offers it doesn't mean they have anything and you always have the option of asking for a CBJ. Most ladies would not be offended. Same as the SP can refuse to do BBBJ.

• Like 1

Just wondering about the gentlemens thoughts about this and about seeing an SP who offers BBBJ?

As a general rule, if bbbj is even on the menu as an option then I will usually pass on visiting that SP. Everyone has their own risk tolerance and I respect that, but I just feel more comfortable with women who advertise safe-only appointments.

• Like 2

Guest **cely***r***ne
Just wondering about the gentlemens thoughts about this and about seeing an SP who offers BBBJ? Just because an SP offers it doesn't mean they have anything and you always have the option of asking for a CBJ. Most ladies would not be offended. Same as the SP can refuse to do BBBJ.

I agree Lexy, Why would a lady get offended if asked to use a condom? I would be grateful that our safety was on the gentleman's mind and not only on ours!

This has been debated many times on the review boards. Some clients read into GFE service as BBBJ included whereas others assume BBBJ is an extra/not offered.

SP's have to determine whether they want to provide BBBJ in their service or not depending on the market (Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver vs. rest of Canada vs. small town Canada) and of course their personal preference.

Just wondering about the gentleman's and SP's thoughts about seeing an SP who offers kissing?

Like I said in my previous post about BBBJ, just because an SP offers it doesn't mean they have anything and you always have the option of refusing. Same as the SP can refuse to offer kissing.

I can't see many SP's being offended and in the same you are thinking of just not yourself but the SP.

STD's and STI's can be transmitted through the mouth and can not always be detected just by looking at someones lips.

Is a "Safe Only" encounter just Regular FS? (CBJ & CPIV only)

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/std-mts/risk-eng.php

Hmmm, good point. I don't offer bbbj for safety reasons

but I do allow kissing and daty. Maybe I'm just kidding myself thinking I'm 100% safe. I admit I don't even know what can be transmitted through kissing. Herpies? Time to do some reading.... Thanks for the eye opener gang...excellent post!

P.S Lexy is right, we should ALL be tested on a regular basis- Ladies AND clients.

Excellent thread. Makes me realize that it is time to take my head out of the sand!

As a person who until very recently had no reason to require or request STI testing, I am in research mode at the moment.

Being from PEI I discovered that testing is normally arranged through a family doctor. There is no anonymous testing clinic available here, but AIDS PEI has information about and will actually set up an anonymous testing appointment in Moncton. Their website is http://www.aidspei.com/education/prevention/testing-services/

It appears as if most but not all provinces in Canada do have anonymous testing sites available. The anonymity factor is important to me being here in such a small community.

This topic has raised questions for me of course.

What would the "normal" frequency be for testing?

I am curious if most SP's do this on a regular basis? Is it something appropriate to ask about as a client?

Thanks for bringing this topic forward though I expect that if I search the forums I shall find current threads that will answer my questions.

I have no problem answering your question about testing.

I have an amazing family physician who knows I am an SP and I get tested every 2-3 months, sometimes more frequent if I choose.

I value my life very much and the lives of the people I have encounters with. I don't ever want anything curable or incurable.

I will refuse to provide a service if I think my safety and cleanliness will be compromised.

Edited by Lexy Grace

My doctor is also in the know and I test myself every three months as well. Our sexual health is our responsibility and to continue on as if it isn't is sheer folly.

I am happy to answer any questions anyone has and would never be offended in the least.

I am happy to answer any questions anyone has and would never be offended in the least.

I agree with you Cathy and I as well would never be offended if asked any questions and would answer openly and truthfully.

Guest W***ledi*Time
....Is it something appropriate to ask about ...

Some ladies advertise that they will show clients their test results, but really I don't think there's any point in asking. Test results are only good at the point in time at which they were taken. And it's not very likely that anyone's going to tell you "I don't get tested", no matter the actual facts.

I would guess that the ladies generally take care of themselves better than either their average client, or members of the general population, in this regard. They're on the whole better informed, and they have a vital concern in safeguarding their livelihood, after all.