Amy Winehouse is dead!

She was a junkie. I really wish people would pay more attention to the real tragedy in norway than the death of a drugged-out celebrity.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 6

She was a junkie. I really wish people would pay more attention to the real tragedy in norway than the death of a drugged-out celebrity.

Posted via Mobile Device

The people in Norway are to (most of) us without faces and without histories. It's not fair or right, but we feel more emotion when there is a face and life story to the tragedy. We are only human.

Addiction and mental illness are a horrible evil, just like terrorism. I don't believe they are hierarchical.

• Like 4

I would rather remember Amy when she was at her best:

• Like 1

It's a tragedy that someone's life is gone at such a young age. While we can assume it is attributed to substance abuse, nevertheless it is a human life gone.

Condolences to her family, friends and fans

RG

It's a tragedy that someone's life is gone at such a young age. While we can assume it is attributed to substance abuse, nevertheless it is a human life gone.

Condolences to her family, friends and fans

RG

Rock star lifestyle.

Elvis, Kurt Cobain, Michael Hutchence, Ian Curtis, Jim Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Stuart Adamson, Jim Morrison, Brian Jones, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Wendy O. Williams, Michael Jackson... just a few names of musicians that have had a hand in their own demise.

Some will be remembered for their impact on the world of music, some will be remembered briefly for the impact of their lives and forgotten. Amy was a talented individual who let her demons get the best of her, and in the end they won.

My heart however does not go to someone who had everything and was a victim of their own success. As Cleo said, those lives lost in Norway over the past 24 hours or so have had and will have a more profound impact on all of us.

The 92 Norwegians, for the most part, were anonymous to us, as we were to them. They conducted their lives away from the spotlight, loving people we will never know, working at jobs as anonymous as they were, living in neighborhoods that we will never see. Those 92 people were more like us than Amy Winehouse. They lived normal, vanilla but no less valuable lives than Ms. Winehouse. We were the same as them.

Where Amy took her own life of her own will, these lives were ended short of the achievement of their dreams. Who knows what any one of those 92 could have achieved? If there was a hierarchy in terms of depth of emotion, the grief for these 92 is far more profound.

• Like 1

Especially when some of 92 were the young ages of 14 through 19. Old Dog I was going to say the same about Winehouse,Joplin and Hendrix a struggle with an addiction took their lives, the Norweigans lives were simply snubbed out!

Amy joined the 27 club! Eeeeep.

Posted via Mobile Device

Edited by C*** C****

Regardless of the circumstances or her possible motives, I mourn the loss of a rare and exceptional talent. I enjoyed her music and I am sad to think there will be no more. End of.

• Like 1

She was not my favorite artist...but no one deserve to died this way...addiction is something really serious, and yes people bash her because she did drugs and now say oh we saw it comining....they are not sure but she may have done it by purpose...

and when someone is at the edge and only see death as the only possible escape, no matter what she did...it's sad. We can't judge someone over suicide...

and as for what happen in Norway, it's really sad as well...

• Like 1

Amy Winehouse, the people in Norway, and a multitude (unfortunately) of other people daily lose their lives. The tragedy is that a life is gone, and once gone, won't be back. And for all the lives lost, they had family and friends who feel that loss.

So I'll offer condolences

RG

Guest E*******h S******s

Compassion is compassion. Whether it is for a young woman who was unable to get a major monkey off of her back or for the unfortunate people in Norway who were murdered, my heart goes out to every family who lost someone this week.

R.I.P.

Elvis, Kurt Cobain, Michael Hutchence, Ian Curtis, Jim Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Stuart Adamson, Jim Morrison, Brian Jones, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Wendy O. Williams, Michael Jackson... just a few names of musicians that have had a hand in their own demise.

Some will be remembered for their impact on the world of music, some will be remembered briefly for the impact of their lives and forgotten. Amy was a talented individual who let her demons get the best of her, and in the end they won.

My heart however does not go to someone who had everything and was a victim of their own success. As Cleo said, those lives lost in Norway over the past 24 hours or so have had and will have a more profound impact on all of us.

The 92 Norwegians, for the most part, were anonymous to us, as we were to them. They conducted their lives away from the spotlight, loving people we will never know, working at jobs as anonymous as they were, living in neighborhoods that we will never see. Those 92 people were more like us than Amy Winehouse. They lived normal, vanilla but no less valuable lives than Ms. Winehouse. We were the same as them.

Where Amy took her own life of her own will, these lives were ended short of the achievement of their dreams. Who knows what any one of those 92 could have achieved? If there was a hierarchy in terms of depth of emotion, the grief for these 92 is far more profound.

This is ridiculous! While I deeply empathize with the lives lost in Norway and I in no way condone what happened, I don't think we should let our anger towards the mainstream media about covering the Amy story more than the Norway story justify our awful feelings about people with mental health issues and addictions. There is something to be said about your comments above: how she was at fault for her own demise. Yes, while there is some choice involved in terms of recovery and getting your life in order, not just anyone contemplates suicide. There has to be some serious shit going on for someone to actually go through with taking away their own lives especially when they've been suffering as harshly as Amy was from her addiction. There should be no hierarchy of who's life was more important and which sentiments will be stronger. Murder and suicide are both awful and neither are the fault of the victims.

It seems like as a society we will just take every opportunity to blame and further stigmatize people with mental health issues and addictions. We really need to be critical of how we think about people we place in these categories and how are words resemble how we truly feel about the worth of their lives!

Edited by Alexandra-Sky
  • Like 8

While I have sympathy for Miss Winehouse's friends and especially her family (who went to great lengths to get her the help she needed), the reason my heart breaks at the tragedy of the murders in Norway is because, as has been mentioned before, so many of them were children. The children murdered on Utoeya island were gunned down by an evil man while many ran for their lives, terrified and wishing for their parents during their last, frightened moments. All the dead in Norway lost their lives to a monster wearing human clothing; Amy Winehouse lost her life to the demon she created but couldn't control. Hopefully Amy's death may sway somehone in the future to reconsider a bad decision that could lead to their own self destruction, but there is no possible way to balance the scales in Norway. There is no way to punish the crime or learn as a result. Make no mistake, no one should be happy Miss Winehouse died and we should all mourn the loss of a promising life, but myself, I cannot help but feel deeper loss, deeper anger and rage, at the mostly young lives taken so ruthlessly in Norway.

• Like 1

Comparing how someone dies is like comparing apples to oranges but nonetheless she was a human being and deserves some respect regardless of if she took her own life through drugs or any other way.

What if someone here from cerb took their own life god forbid or an SP was murdered? Would we say "Oh well she was just a whore or he was just another trick so it doesn't really matter." Maybe some people would feel that way but if you knew them personally or knew of them from this site you would feel some sort of impact. Imagine how her family feels. Lets remember that she was someone's daughter.

Yes, it could be debated that she had the world at her fingertips and that she brought this on herself and in the end her addiction won. It doesn't matter if she was leading a rock star lifestyle. No one deserves to die whether it is through drugs, a natural disaster or at the hands of a mad man. IMO, the way someone dies or its significance bears no relevance in my mind because death to me is a tragic thing overall. It is sad when anyone dies and they should be given the respect and dignity that they deserve whether it Amy Winehouse or those 92 people in Norway.

• Like 3

The people in Norway are to (most of) us without faces and without histories. It's not fair or right' date=' but we feel more emotion when there is a face and life story to the tragedy. We are only human.

Addiction and mental illness are a horrible evil, just like terrorism. I don't believe they are hierarchical.[/quote']

You're right, and I do apologize for how harsh my previous comment came off. I logged in here and found this thread right after I'd logged on to facebook and found ten of my friends commenting about Amy Winehouse, and not one speaking of Norway, and it made me upset. I have issues with how celebrities overtake so much in the media but that shouldn't effect the death of a person. I apologize.

• Like 3

Guest W***ledi*Time
... It is sad when anyone dies and they should be given the respect and dignity that they deserve whether it Amy Winehouse or those 92 people in Norway.

Yes, absolutely.

Not to mention the 250 children dying of starvation daily in just one region of Somalia (according to UN estimate). As drought and famine continue to develop in East Africa, tens of thousands have already died and 11.3 million more are at risk (estimate of the World Food Program). Just what is the value of a human life, anyway?

Each and every human life.

The Canadian Federal Government is currently matching our donations to those registered organizations that have funds earmarked specifically for East African famine relief (for example, http://www.redcross.ca).

Without a doubt the events in Norway are tragic, shocking and very saddening. It's very evident from this thread that our community is feeling the pain of those events and has a strong need to express those feelings. But I must ask: Why here? And why can I not find a thread dedicated to this topic? I find that a bit odd.