Amy Winehouse is dead!

I believe that equating the level of shock to the death of a performer and the loss of lives in other tragic events somehow just doesn't make sense.

Each event is what it is - I hope not to appear insensitive to the unfolding tragic events in Norway and Somalia. These deserve their own recognition in their own threads. To do otherwise diminishes the intent of the OP for this thread.

What do you think?

• Like 1

Every death deserves some commemoration, just as every life deserves celebration.

I too may have been a bit harsh in my original comments.

Norway hit me harder, because I can only envision my own kids in that context. I can imagine them in the company of friends enjoying a lovely weekend. I can imagine them with their own full lives waiting at the doorstep. I can't imagine the depth of shock or grief that the parents and loved ones of the 85 kids being told that their child is no more. I will say without equivocation that I would rather die a thousand times than to hear that horrible news.

Amy Winehouse does deserve commemoration. She was unable to escape the darker seductions of fame and fortune and in the end was consumed by it. Her death and 92 others have been the source of sadness today.

first of all i believe it is an insult to people everywhere to mention the tragedy of norway in the same thread as this junkie loser .

second of all i know a lot of you bleeding hearts will be upset with my logic but i feel compelled to share it . alcohol/drugs is not an addiction , it is a choice . a choice brought on by weakness . people too weak to face their problems , people too weak to confront themselves .

lets face it , people turn to alcohol/drugs to forget , to ease their pain , where ever that pain may come from . this is why they continuely chase their original high , they build a tolerance and it gets harder and harder to forget , so they just keep going deeper . which is their CHOICE . they choose to have another drink , they choose to have another toke , snort , hit . this is why it is not a disease .

name all the people you know , you ever heard of that choose to get cancer , choose to get dementia , choose to get als . make all the arguments you want about smoking and cancer , but that goes back to choice .

ms. winehouse knows nothing about respect . she had no respect for her talent , no respect for the people that cared for her who tried in vain to get her help , and above all she had no respect for herself . she said herself in a song , " they want me to go to rehab , i said no no no " .

it pisses me off that all this money is being spent to try and help people that dont want it . they go to rehab as a break , but with no intention of getting healthy . those that want help will seek it out . lets spend the money on the people that dont want to be dying but unfortunately for them and their loved ones they are , lets ease their pain .

users that truly want to be clean will want to go to rehab , yes thats right , another CHOICE !

• Like 7

Guest E*******h S******s
first of all i believe it is an insult to people everywhere to mention the tragedy of norway in the same thread as this junkie loser .

second of all i know a lot of you bleeding hearts will be upset with my logic but i feel compelled to share it . alcohol/drugs is not an addiction , it is a choice . a choice brought on by weakness . people too weak to face their problems , people too weak to confront themselves .

lets face it , people turn to alcohol/drugs to forget , to ease their pain , where ever that pain may come from . this is why they continuely chase their original high , they build a tolerance and it gets harder and harder to forget , so they just keep going deeper . which is their CHOICE . they choose to have another drink , they choose to have another toke , snort , hit . this is why it is not a disease .

name all the people you know , you ever heard of that choose to get cancer , choose to get dementia , choose to get als . make all the arguments you want about smoking and cancer , but that goes back to choice .

ms. winehouse knows nothing about respect . she had no respect for her talent , no respect for the people that cared for her who tried in vain to get her help , and above all she had no respect for herself . she said herself in a song , " they want me to go to rehab , i said no no no " .

it pisses me off that all this money is being spent to try and help people that dont want it . they go to rehab as a break , but with no intention of getting healthy . those that want help will seek it out . lets spend the money on the people that dont want to be dying but unfortunately for them and their loved ones they are , lets ease their pain .

users that truly want to be clean will want to go to rehab , yes thats right , another CHOICE !

You sound young. Life is a journey with peaks and pitfalls. Some of us handle those pitfalls well. Others break. My hope for you is that you never have to find solace in a mind altering substance because nothing else touches the pain that is inside of you. And if you do by chance succumb, that people are kinder to you than you have been to a "druggie loser".

You sound young. Life is a journey with peaks and pitfalls. Some of us handle those pitfalls well. Others break. My hope for you is that you never have to find solace in a mind altering substance because nothing else touches the pain that is inside of you. And if you do by chance succumb, that people are kinder to you than you have been to a "druggie loser".

yes lil lady life has peaks and pitfalls , but it how you/we choose to handle those peaks and pitfalls that make us who we are . it is easy for you to say i sound young because everyone wants an excuse . i grew up surrounded by stereotypical natives . i , fortunately , did not fall into that cycle . it had alot to do with my parents , going to school everyday and as i aged seeing cousin after cousin [ that were the people i was closest too , outside of my immediate family ] end up dead in the street over dumb ass native gang bullshit ! so yes , i saw the druggie losers up close , thats why i am able to describe it as so , because that is exactly what they were . i am now 40 years old , i made a choice , a choice anyone is welcome to make when confronted with a decision . the thing i have learned is , no one wants to admit there is a problem , but as long as they are involved [ in any capacity ] , they are part of the problem .

my nephew is now in your neck of the woods dealing with his issues , been clean for 7 months . he is now waiting for a spot in culinary class to open up so he can attend . he is 22 years old and he , like me , knows he cant be around the rest of the family outside of his grandparents , my folks . no one has to like it , no one has to agree with it , but i earned the right to my opion .

all the best lil lady .

• Like 2

Finally, I want to say that we do not live in a world of competing sorrows. Experiences of pain and loss are individual: there is no hierarchy or scale of values. The grief one person carries gracefully might easily be impossible for another to shoulder. In the end, pain is pain, grief is grief, loss is loss. All are real.

Samantha

Your post is well said. And this last paragraph is bang on.

Every life lost is a loss, whether the loss is through self destructive behaviour or the actions of another.

Enough said

RG

If we follow your logic, then why should we treat the person who doesn't eat healthy and ends up with heart disease. After all they made a "choice" to eat fatty foods.

Hell, while we're at it, let's not throw money at the guy who smoked all his life and ended up with lung cancer.

Or the guy who drove a motorcycle and ended up with a broken leg when he fell.

I can tell you, people might make bad choice, but no one wakes up one day and says, "hey I think I'm going to become an addict and ruin my life".

Geesh.

You know, there is a saying to the effect about walking a mile in someone else's shoes. You never really know someone else's story, what he/she has gone or is going through. Some are able to cope with the stressors of life, some others unfortunately have demons and can't cope. Let's not stand in judgement here, she may have had talent but it's her demons that defeated her, and thats sad and the tragedy

RG

As usual you are able to articulate the big picture Samantha!

it's to bad that she died but nobody forced her to take drugs just like there will be more dieing from drugs just like the hockey player that his own brother gave it to him i'd be more bothered thinking of what happened in Norway

I'm a little disturbed by how quickly a number of you are happily writing off Amy Winehouse because "she was a junkie."

You sound an awful lot like the same people who didn't do fuck all when Robert Pickton was murdering my sisters because, oh, well, they're just crackwhores.

People are people and you have no idea what brought them to the point where they thought drugs were a solution. Who are you to judge them?

I went to rehab myself, and I can tell you from experience, that every single one of the people in there had underlying mental health issues and didn't know how to cope with said issues and thus did drugs to try to cope. And they were men and women just like you or I, with families, with feelings and with hopes and dreams.

Reading some of the responses in this thread today made me a little sad to have to associate myself with you.

• Like 7

Love me or hate me now for this post...

Are you for fucking real??

Do you seriously think that people that have an addiction problem choose to have it?

I am going to tell a part of my life that not a lot of people know... At 16 years old, I was your normal average girl in a private high school, at least I did seem. Hell I had nuns as teacher...they didn't really care about the emotional and mental well-being of their students. It wasn't really christian...well at this time, I had an addiction. actually 2. I have doing self-injury and I was bulimic. They are not drugs or alcohol, they don't cost as much money, but they are as self-destructive.

So...for you...I was like Amy Whinehouse and I was too weak to face my problems? I turn to self-mutilation to escape my inside pain. How I was feeling at the time, inside, was more then horrible, my demons were eating me from the inside...Cutting was a release. Seeing the blood was a catharsis, for that moment, when I was seeing the blood flow...I felt good. I felt better. Well as far as I know drugs are the same. It is extremely tragic that she died so young, from drugs overdose...

yes some people try drugs to do like others, to be "hot"...but some do it for the escape because their life is miserable and they don't see why they should live...when you don't know why you actually you should wake up tomorrow...I can swear to all the gods that you want, that it is horrible. Just being alive is a challenge...and you call her weak? You call someone weak because they want to LIVE instead of surviving?

Talking of choice...I was bulimic and anorexic. I was 77 lbs once for my height...that is extremely unhealthy. I had the choice to eat more. I had the choice to get better on my own. But I couldn't. I just couldn't. It is the same with Amy. She cannot get better herself. People that have addictions, need help from others, because they are too broken inside to help themselves..

It piss you off to see people spend money on rehab? to help people get better? what kind of human being (if you are one) are you? You are not willing to help those in trouble? If you were at their place what would you want to do? have others people help you to get better.

Gonna tell you...my scars that I have on my arms and legs, my throat that even today after 6 years of recovery ...still hurt. It was not a bloody choice

• Like 2

You have been justifiably dissected enough that I don't think anyone needs to add to it further, so I won't. But you need to ask yourself, do you think that publically trampling on her memory and her dignity, no matter what you thought of her as a person or an artist, was a decent thing to do?

The mistake many of us have made (myself included) was in trying to compare the loss of Miss Whinehouse and the mass murder of those in Norway, only because they both captured the world's attention and they happened so close together. And the simple fact of the matter is that a murderous gunman's act of evil does not reduce the loss of Amy Whinehouse any more than her death should reduce the enormity of what happened in Norway. There is no way to reconcile or compare these two events, period. Perhaps there are lessons that can be learned and definitely grief to be suffered, but the best the living can do now is light a solemn candle in memory of all the lives lost.

• Like 2