so another shooting on taboo lastnight

Guest **n****er

i think that makes 3 shootings since i started going there...and ive never even seen an argument.

Posted via Mobile Device

Yikes...I was there from about 15h00 until 16h00 on Tuesday....what time was the shooting..the article doesn't say.

That really helps dispel the stereotypes about the industry.

Not trying to start an argument here, but it's not because of the "industry" that these thing happen! Yes, it does look bad, but 99% of the time it has nothing to do with US! It's the low life thugs that come to the place, start an issue with someone, usually for no reason. All that testosterone in little place and people trying to prove their a "baller" and this is what happens!

I have no idea how this place is still open with Pigale's right across the street! But then again, we know all you need is to wave some money and you get to keep your place and a blind eye is turned.

• Like 1

Guest **n****er

It's got nothing to do with "thugs" or "ballers" or whatever thinly veiled descriptive terms we want to use to describe these guys.

It's about men.

In the 1600's men would fight in bars with their fists. Now they have guns.

It's just that simple.

Guest E*******h S******s

I can honestly say that I don't know one single man who would carry a gun into a strip club. I think Tiffany is closer to the mark.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to imply I actually believe this stuff happens because of the industry. Rather, I was trying to say it will be used as an example to wave around as to why the industry needs to be constrained. The media will feast on this and cast all sorts of aspersions.

When there are guys with guns at a club at that time of night/early morning, they are either drug dealers, or they are there to recruit/ intimidate girls into getting pimped by them. All round bad news.

Guest Bri*****e Da****

What's sad is that the management there doesn't seem to nip this stuff in the bud before it escalates. I've never worked there but have heard from girls that have that fights are a common occurrence at night. Doesn't seem fair to them or the staff who have to work in an unsafe environment.

Guest W***ledi*Time

CTV News reports, 17 Aug 2011:

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110817/OTT_shootout_110817/20110817/?hub=OttawaHome

The Sûreté du Quebec has taken over the investigation of an early morning shootout involving a Gatineau police officer Wednesday.

Police say an officer was driving by when he heard gunshots from within the Cabaret Taboo on Greber Boulevard.

The officer called for backup and as more police were arriving suspects started to take off on foot.

Police shot one man before he was able to get away.

"They tried to hit the police man with their vehicle and it's for this reason that the police man shot," said Sgt. Christine Coulombe of the Sûreté du Quebec.

A bouncer was shot in the chest inside the club when he tried to break up a fight between a dancer and patron.

Police say his injuries are not life threatening.

A worker, who did not want to be identified, told CTV Ottawa's Kate Eggins more than half a dozen shots were fired.

Three people have been arrested.

Residents living close to the club say news of the shooting is not surprising.

"It doesn't necessarily surprise me because this is a rough neighbourhood," said Michal Sirek.

Sirek, like Sebastien Gregoire, lives in Gatineau. Both men say the neighbourhood is far from squeaky clean.

"It's not the neighbourhood I would necessarily want to live in," said Gregoire. "But I wouldn't expect this either way."

This is the third shooting at the club in as many years.

470_ott_Gat_shooting_ambulance_110817.jpg,430,241

A bouncer is rushed to hospital after being shot in the chest on August 17, 2011.

Postmedia News reports that the initial shots were fired just after 3 a.m.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Shots+fired+outside+strip+club+almost+down/5266567/story.html#ixzz1VLgq8Smd

An employee at the club who refused to give her name said a bouncer had been shot after an altercation between a group of young men and "a girl." The employee said the bouncer was shot once in the chest and once in the hip.

A group of four young men leaving the club late Wednesday morning after they were questioned by police said they heard about five shots being fired. One said that about 10 minutes beforehand, he heard a bouncer trying to kick someone out.

Business people in the area who refused to speak on the record said the club is often frequented by youth gangs.

QMI News Video (1:24): http://www.torontosun.com/2011/08/17/cop-involved-in-shooting-at-strip-club

i think that makes 3 shootings since i started going there...and ive never even seen an argument.

Posted via Mobile Device

When you think about it the 'safe' SC options in Ottawa-Gatineau are drying up..shootings/murder etc at Taboo, Pink Panther and Cabaret Canada and 61 is closing on October 31. Was there a shooting outside the Nu Den as well.

This is very disturbing - as a previous poster said, it seems like many of the Ottawa SC's have been tainted with thugs lately. Hopefully they stay away from Barb's, Barefax, etc, but it's probably only a matter of time. I've heard the rumours that pimps are at Barb's when I've been visiting. Gangs and gun play are the next step in the evolution. It would be nice to think it's not true but there is a side of this business that attracts seedy characters. As with so many things in life, a few rotten apples spoil it for the rest of us who are genuinely interested in the girls and treat them well.

When you think about it the 'safe' SC options in Ottawa-Gatineau are drying up..shootings/murder etc at Taboo, Pink Panther and Cabaret Canada and 61 is closing on October 31. Was there a shooting outside the Nu Den as well.

Yes, I believe there was a shooting at the 'Den some time ago when the assailants had been ejected from the club and then came back to attack the bouncer/doorman. That is my recollection of the event.

Regarding the Ottawa Citizen article referenced in an earlier post, I wonder what others think of the Citizen publishing two pictures of an "employee". I'm not familiar with standard journalistic practice/ethics in this regard but I wonder if these photos were really all that pertinent to reporting this story.

I have no idea how this place is still open with Pigale's right across the street!

Back a few years when I visited SCs frequently, I much preferred Taboo over Pigales. Dancers were different. Pigales, to me at the time, was a factory of blondes with fake tits that all came from the same mold.

Just my 2 cents...

Earlier this morning there was an even more provocative picture of that dancer, a rear view in which her derriere was well shown by tight shorts. Then they changed it to a profile view, probably after the editor got to the office and saw it!

Earlier this morning there was an even more provocative picture of that dancer, a rear view in which her derriere was well shown by tight shorts. Then they changed it to a profile view, probably after the editor got to the office and saw it!

i noticed that as well....but hey it s taboo that doesnt surprise me... never wanted to put a foot there

The number of SC's in Ottawa and environs has decreased over the years. Places like Taboo and others that harbor crime will lose their liquor license. There are very nice clubs, better class ones. But the others with all the cash attract dealers for the drug users and pimps for the dancers.

That's the way I see it.

Edited by ngtime
First one was a bit severe

it's not safe anywhere anymore! Not great for a gentleman to go, but I am also very worried about the ladies who work in that kind of environment! Be careful ladies!

As a rule I generally avoid all clubs at night for just this reason. It's not just the "smaller seedier" clubs which have occurrences like this. The same thing happens at the "better class ones". And one has to ask how do you classify a "better class" strip club? Does having a better decor and younger girls working there make it "better class"? I've been to every club in this city numerous times and I can say with confidence that the same things happen in every club. I have clubs where there are particular girls that I tend to enjoy spending time with, that's why I go to those particular clubs. If those girls I like move to different clubs, I'll follow them to those clubs. A strip club is a strip club. These kind of incidences happen at every single one. There was a shooting at Barefax about 10 years ago......I seem to remember hearing from a dancer about a stabbing or a shooting at Barbs a few years back. Or it may have been just a beating...I can't really remember, point is the cops were called in and it was in the news. As someone mentioned there was a shooting at Nuden, and I'm not up to date in my SC news but I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened at Pigale at some point in time.

The club's not to blame...and nor is the exotic dancing industry in particular to blame....it's the nightclub scene in general.....several times a year we hear about stabbings or shootings happening at regular nightclubs in the city, or about people being stabbed or shot leaving a regular nightclub....a lot more often then we hear about it happening at a strip club. But the media seems to focus more attention on when it happens in a strip club...because I guess that makes the story more interesting for some reason. Sex & Death and all that.

The truth is, if you take a bunch of immature individuals who have a beef with each other, stick them in a small space with copious amounts of alcohol/drugs, and throw in a small arsenal....the exact same thing will happen be it in a strip club, night club, or a church.

People need to stop focusing on the fact that it happened in a strip club, and need to start focusing on why it happened in the first place, and need to focus on what the hell is wrong with our society in general......drugs and alcohol.....what's making people shoot each other isn't a nice view of T & A. It's the drugs. The government needs to focus on fixing that problem first. Closing the strip clubs thinking that will solve everyone's problem is stupid, pointless and ignorant in my opinion.....the gov't closes the stripclubs and these things will continue to happen. And with just as much (if not more) frequency. They'll just happen elsewhere.

Or drugs may not even be the whole problem either (although I do believe it's a BIG part of the problem). Simple human nature has a big role to play as well....these things have been happening since the beginning of the human race.....either way you look at it, closing one "seedy" strip club is not going to solve anything.

'Kay....done ranting now :p

I agree and disagree. I was married to a dancer in the US (west coast) and knew a lot of people in the industry like family. In a country where concealed guns are legal, a city where meth was such a serious problem they had billboards up everywhere warning people of the danger, I never saw or heard of a single shooting or stabbing at a SC. Sure, the bouncers and managers were on the lookout for that kinda crap once, and I even saw a guy with a 9mm tucked in the back of his waistband and warned then of him, buy the worst violence I ever saw was once or twice a drunken scrap with security.

It's definitely not the industry's fault, but I don't know if it's a statement on our society in general.

The last SC I went to only weeks ago it was quite evident that two of the dancers were high, sluring their speech, very skinny and on had bad teeth. Looked like crack addiction to me me. This is also very strange to me so I could be wrong, I never have experienced crack. Also a supposedly 'driver' was hanging around for some time doing some collecting. Was is it a driver? The club I will not mention, but it is not in the "A" category. I was quite shocked and won't go there again.

So is this just the scene at Taboo and the likes, or could it happen anywhere? There's lots of cash at these places and those who pray on them making the cash. Dealers and pimps I believe. Let the client be aware.

I frequent Taboo, mainly late afternoon or early evenings. I have made the mistake of being in SC's in the wee hours. Too much alcohol and testosterone for me. As far as the gangs and dealers go, there is a legitimate group including veterans of police forces all over North America trying to get drugs to be perscribed by doctors. This includes cocaine etc (by the way, would we have ever seen crack if cocaine could be obtained for a couple of bucks). This would take a ton of violence off the streets and make dealers have to work for a living. It would also not be something they could hold over the heads of any dancer or sp.

I have seen the Global tv documentary on this group, including one senator who used to be a cop in Vancouver. How many break ins, car thefts, shootings and stabbings would we eliminate if coke could be gotten at the drug store for a few bucks. If you are going to take drugs, thats fine. Why do I need to duck bullets so you can take drugs. Why does the student have to be accosted at the local Macs Milk so you can rob him for drugs. I think this is really silly. When they re introduced alcohol after prohibition, was everyone a drunk . No.