Halifax - Good Economic News

Guest W***ledi*Time

Good news today for the medium-to-longer term economy of Halifax. Halifax Shipyards alias Irving Shipbuilding has been awarded the $25 billion federal contract for constructing up to 23 combat and patrol vessels over the next two decades.

Estimated spin-off effect: $800 million/year into the economy. Businesses of all sorts stand to benefit nicely from the extra money that will be sloshing around!

billion-dollar-boys-club-tilted-kilt.jpg

Yes Its great news, Nova Scotia will now become a Rich Province like Alberta, Its great you will see this place grow like Fort McMurray, the goodtimes are here, now its so nice to say I now live in a have to province.

Guest W***ledi*Time
... Hey WIT is that a local bar?

Alas, that lass is a server at the "Tilted Kilt" pub in far-off Tempe, Ariz. Which isn't to say one couldn't open a franchise right here on Grafton Street ... something to consider!

Yes great new, looking forward to seeing an economical improvement on this side of the country. Greatly anticipated by nova scotians but is a good sign for all the maritimers, this should increase available jobs in the market greatly. Which has been on a steady decline since the last recession.

The best line I've heard so far:

Hey Halifax, is that $25 billion in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Seriously though, it's great news for the region!

I too heard this news on the radio this morning,on my way home from work. Cudos to Halifax for scoring that big,of a employment investment. I'm sure it will bring lots of work to the city. Did I hear correctly JD Irving got the sum of thirty billion dollars towards the tender of building the navy fleet?

Great news (in general)! But I guess rents will go up steeply...

Rents in halifax are like toronto's now,thats a scary thought to think they may go up even more.Not all salaries will go up,but be assured everthing else will,so it's not all positive and do we really want to become like FortMcmurray or Calgary,Getting around in Halifax now is near impossible now,I don't mean to be a downer but there are some negative sides to this good news,just my opinion!:icon_cry:

• Like 1

Rents in halifax are like toronto's now,thats a scary thought to think they may go up even more.Not all salaries will go up,but be assured everthing else will,so it's not all positive and do we really want to become like FortMcmurray or Calgary,Getting around in Halifax now is near impossible now,I don't mean to be a downer but there are some negative sides to this good news,just my opinion!:icon_cry:

Cristy, ideally as the demand for a larger work force increases the wages and salaries become higher just like in Alberta. Yes there is a possibility of rent and tax increases but in an ideal situation higher wages should offset other increases. Well at least that's the hope, we'll only know in a few months once this whole operation starts snowballing.

And house prices!

Guess I can say goodbye to cheap property taxes...

Additional Comments:

Cristy, ideally as the demand for a larger work force increases the wages and salaries become higher just like in Alberta.

In theory, yes. However, I work in healthcare and our raises are capped at 1% per year for the time being. It's a pittance!

It may be good for communities within an hour's commute of Halifax, as people seek out cheaper rural housing.

Not everyone wants to live in urban mayhem. I can see Enfield/Elmsdale benefitting nicely; it's becoming a great

little community there! I wish to buy some acreage and build my stone hut thereabouts someday.

Edited by oldblueeyes
same as always

It may be good for communities within an hour's commute of Halifax, as people seek out cheaper rural housing.

Not everyone wants to live in urban mayhem. I can see Enfield/Elmsdale benefitting nicely; it's becoming a great

little community there! I wish to buy some acreage and build my stone hut thereabouts someday.

I read in the paper today that the north end of Halifax will become the next destination point, as the shipyard workers will want to live nearby. I've already noticed some improvements in the Hydrostone Market area. It's a lot nicer now than what it was.

The city estimation is that the properties value will go up each year in average with 10%, property taxes as well.

The rents probably will go up base on the higher request and oil price, electricity, water, etc.

As you can see arround, many buildings are coming up very fast, so this may balance the rent increases.

Hopefully with these chances our sps will receive more calls.

Good luck to everyone!

I think there will come a day when Halifax will be considered alongside the Montreal's and Toronto's and Vancouver's in terms of major Canadian cities. I'm hearing this is not the last major shipbuilding project the area will see. Onward and upward!

Jets, ships....our newest major ships in the fleet are almost 20 years old...the oldest are well over 40.

Our newest jets are almost 30.

I just hope Irving does a better job building ships than fixing them.

MS