Let's take a crack at this....

When I was a kid, I had a career path planned that ended when I realized how really stupid my dream was.

When I was a kid, I wanted to grow up to be a caveman.

cavemen-food-nutrition.jpg

Some people wanted to be cowboys, or firemen, or astronauts.

Not me.

I had an aversion to grooming. I wanted to live in a cave. I like barbecued meat. The idea that you didn't have to get dressed up for church on a Sunday or have clean your fingernails daily was appealing. Dating seemed simpler too - even though at 5, I didn't even like girls.

Then the realization hit in my early teens. I was not going to be hirsute. Nary a patch of hair grew in the vicinity of my back. My cranial capacity was a great deal larger than that of a neanderthal. Some fur makes me allergic. I didn't have a sloping forehead or an unseemly gait. I actually liked being clean. I no longer believed that clubbing a woman was a prerequisite for dating. I really don't like peeing in public, let alone the "other."

In short, I had an epiphany. I was not going to be a caveman.

My career path is widely divergent than that of the 5 year old, much Younger Dog.

Sooo.... here's the question. What shattered dreams are you bearing as an adult.... what did you really want to be when you grew up???

That's funny you mention this as I was thinking of it recently.

When I was pre teenage years, I always thought I would be a stuntman. More of the slapstick, fall down funny knid though. What I thought may have triggered this was how much I enjoyed watching the start of the first year of the Dick Van Dyke show where Dick trips over an ottoman during the opening credits.

So I spent my childhood tripping, jumping, climbing and crashing into things, which in retrospect a lot of boys did back then. My specialty was falling down a flight of stairs but that is about as far as I got. It did come in handy later in life when I started drinking.

I never did find out what I wanted to be but I just keep busy and still enjoy the odd pratfall.

I wanted to be a rock star and play guitar or bass like these icons.

Suzi Quatro

suzie-quatro.jpg

nefk8r37rddmkfrm.jpg

Nancy Wilson

I wanted to be a pilot, but at the age of 9 I got a pair of spectacles and that was the end of that then.

Twenty five years later, the rules - and country - changed and I got my commercial license, flying for six years. Then my eyes caught up with me once more and now I am relegated to sitting in the back while other guys at the pointy end get to drive.

Still, it was great fun and I had a "Plan B"

CB

I wanted to cut up dead people. No joke. Until I hit high school I was convinced my life calling was as a forensic pathologist. Even though I ended up doing archaeology, my original plan was to do the forensic anthropology program at the University of Bradford in England. This is also why I have a skeleton tattoo!

I wanted to be a pilot, but at the age of 9 I got a pair of spectacles and that was the end of that then.

Twenty five years later, the rules - and country - changed and I got my commercial license, flying for six years. Then my eyes caught up with me once more and now I am relegated to sitting in the back while other guys at the pointy end get to drive.

Still, it was great fun and I had a "Plan B"

CB

My childhood dream was to be a pilot in the Armed Forces...and no, not flying fighters, I wanted to fly the Hercules. Alas, my eyes became my curse, I had and have to still wear glasses. I shrugged my shoulders, said I'll take up flying as a hobby, then big wham, I got a medical condition (won't say what) but it effectively prevented me from ever becoming a pilot

Regrets, no, even the negatives in my life help shape me and all in all, I've had and have a pretty good life...especially since July 2010

RG

My childhood dream was to be a professional footballer...soccer player to those on this side of the pond!!!! My happiest childhood memories were going to Chelsea games with my grandfather. I so badly wanted to be good enough to walk out on to the pitch at Stamford Bridge to the cheering crowd. I was good enough, but never ended pursuing it.

Edited by spud271

My childhood dream is to grow up and get to do what adult do... now that all changed and i wanted to be a kid again :D LMAO.

Guest E*******h S******s

When I was 5 I wanted to be married to either Speed Racer or Bobby Sherman.

I might still have a shot at Bobby....:icon_biggrin:

My childhood dream was to become a genie (lol) just like Jeanie...

imagesCAIOLUBH.jpg

I wanted to be pretty like her, have big boobies like her, live in a beautiful

plush bottle full of cushions and have tons of pretty outfits like she did lol

I also thought that it was way cool to come out looking like smoke

and then materialize as a beautiful girl dressed in pink.

untitled-4.png

I also wanted to travel the world with a blink of an eye, a nod of the head

and be free to do what I wanted, when I wanted...

That was until I saw in a movie that genies could be trapped in their

bottles for thousands of years and belong to mean masters lol

Even at that age, Gabby didn't want to have a master so she changed her mind...

Having a mommy and a daddy was quite enough! lol

• Like 3

I wanted to be a truck driver........ used to sit in front of our building watching the Big Diesel trucks drive past us.....never got bored of making them honk their horns every time they passed by......

When I was little I really wasn't too concerned about my future career path. I didn't care what I became. My dream was to find someone (other than me) to play with my penis. Preferably a female someone. So I guess dreams really DO come true! :D

Posted via Mobile Device

I wanted to be a princess until I was roughly 9 years old and i was dead serious about it. I had plans to have prince William or Harry fall in love with me.

and to have a unicorn. And I still want one today...I believe they exist...even if it is deep down in my own heart. They do exist.

I never wanted to actually grow up, I always wanted to stay young...I dunno I guess I grew up way too quickly, I was raise by nanny not my parents until I was 8. And then I had to start thinking about high school, what I wanted to go into.

and later on...to be a social worker or a professional horseback rider...and as of now I am looking to go into a desk job all my life...or part of it:(

Childhood dreams. Well the usual was to be an astronaut, but that did not come to be. Next was a pro football player and then, of all things, a teacher. The pro football was truly ever so close and declining to go to a pro training camp is probably the only major mistake I ever made in my life. So teacher it was, and loved it. Well except for little Johnny, and then there was George, and then there was Cathy. But yeah, I did love it.

Now when I grow up, I want to be a male SP. Oh well, it is called childhood dreams, right? :)

Guest k***na

I dreamed of being Pocahontas as a child

but now Im living a better dream as a..... :)

When I was a kid I wanted to grow up to be just like my dad, strong, smart handsome, funny, and he loved my mom. In my early teens I noticed my dad was always at work and I would only see him on weekends, he never had the chance to play with us, or take us fishing like all the other fathers did.

Late teens I started cooking and enjoyed it very much so I had decided to become a chef but in my last year of high school when I applied to colleges he(my dad) said I was to become an engineer so that is what I did.

Now with my engineering degree and working for the family business I was never home and then studied to become a firefighter, did that for some years and now back in the family business and never find myself at home just like my dad.

How would it had turn out if I would have became a chef?

When I was 5, I wanted to be Superman.

All kidding aside I too wanted to be Superman. I think every little boy for the last 75 or so years did. Obviously I grew up and realized that would never happen....but I never lost my love for that character. I still love all things Superman......never got big into the comics but I love the movies and tv shows....but no one will ever top Christopher Reeve. For me, and my generation....he will always be the one and only Superman......right until the end he truly embodied everything Superman is supposed to be. Everyone else in my eyes is just an actor playing the role:

And to me, no movie theme will ever top John Williams' epic Superman theme.....I'm seriously upset that Man Of Steel will not feature this music....it gives me goosebumps every time I hear it:

Christopher-Reeve-Superman-Wallpaper-superman-the-movie-18164074-1024-768.jpg

Got myself feeling all nostalgic again....well....I know what I'll be doing with my weekend now lol

Guest ****ven

Interestingly enough, when I was a child I wanted to be a housewife.

My mom used to have such a fun life, or it seemed that way to me!

Didn't have to work, got to go shopping and out to lunch with her friends all the time, and my father only counted on the meals being ready!

She was a total kept woman and it's funny how even now it's like still my distant dream to be that wife!!!

Except I'm much too sexually devious and well educated. Lol.

XO Sami

All kidding aside I too wanted to be Superman. I think every little boy for the last 75 or so years did. Obviously I grew up and realized that would never happen....but I never lost my love for that character. I still love all things Superman......never got big into the comics but I love the movies and tv shows....but no one will ever top Christopher Reeve. For me, and my generation....he will always be the one and only Superman......right until the end he truly embodied everything Superman is supposed to be. Everyone else in my eyes is just an actor playing the role:

And to me, no movie theme will ever top John Williams' epic Superman theme.....I'm seriously upset that Man Of Steel will not feature this music....it gives me goosebumps every time I hear it:

Got myself feeling all nostalgic again....well....I know what I'll be doing with my weekend now lol

I can't bring myself to watch any superman movie that doesn't have Christoper Reeve in it.

Thank you for the memories!

Al Bundy on Superman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0967Lnh98o

When I first read this thread and then any time someone would post I would get very frustrated by not being able to remember what I wanted to be when I was a kid and suddenly it just came to my mind. I used to tell my mom I would be a doctor to take care of her & dad when they got old.

I have no idea what I was thinking medicine is so not for me but the good thing is I now know I don't have to be a doctor to take care of them,, they are not old yet but I have a plan for when that day comes :)

• Like 2