Where is your Christmas Spirit ?

I have noticed in the past week here on this board, that some tempers have been flared and opinions have been presented. We had a thread closed by Mod, but left people wondering why those comments were made in the first place. Where is your Christmas spirit?

We have another thread going on right now, I read it this morning, and YES I stayed out of it, why because that person is so DAM wrong and it is beyond me how some need to 'get their digs in' at other people for no apparent reason. Where is your Christmas spirit?

I have been down that path, I have been suspended for 7 days from here,I have been later called out again past August. But, I kept my mouth shut,and seriously have answered nearly 60 pm's from good friends asking where I have been on this board. I think the answer lies within, I just need to stay away from the threads that are mean spirited or a witch hunt after someone, after all I learned my lesson.

Well I have been here, and I just do not post a whole lot more on the board because there can be people here that just rub others the wrong way.Where is your Christmas spirit?

Well for me, I have a new look on life after losing my mother past early summer, now have had buried both parents. I will post some comments on this board, I will continue to speak to those that are dear close friends.

For those that need to get their digs in at others, step back take a deep breath,exhale and ask yourself......

Where is your Christmas spirit?

Hope you all enjoy your 26 days before Christmas, peace to everyone, and most of all be nice and hey...make love not war :)

• Like 9

Good thoughts Pete and well said.

But hey, it does not have to be related to Christmas, though that can be an incentive. It is perhaps more so let's think before we write, and then think twice before we hit that submit button. Common sense and common courtesy go a long way, all year long.

Merry Christmas. :)

• Like 1

:bigclap:

Thanks for the reminder Pete! 'Tis the season and all that good stuff :)

We are all flawed and fallible. Now is a very good time of the year to take pause, examine inventory and implement change. Our community can be likened to a BIG "family". So many of us, so many opinions, personalities, etc. By my very nature I am going to become annoyed by others, simply because they are not me. However, a little tolerance goes a long way. Why wait for New Year's Eve - we have a new month upon us tomorrow. Ahhhh. New Beginnings. :icon_smile:

Have a grrreat Wednesday! :hump:

• Like 2

Well, yes. It's true, we do seem to go through occasional bitchy periods. I don't honestly think there's a lot to be done about it; we're all human, after all. My own inclination is to simply let it go; there's no great point in getting involved, and these things usually seem to die off of their own accord.

In the meantime... I'm still not feeling Christmassy, so here's something else seasonal :)

Let_It_Snow.jpg

Unfortunately, Christmas is putting me in a rather foul mood this year. I'm currently in school (yes, I was serious on my bio when I put school girl as an occupation) and so money is tight, as it is for all students, and I'm not able to get my family anything for Christmas. I know my parents will understand, but a part of me will always feel like I've done something wrong if I can't give them something for Christmas/their birthdays/their respective parent appreciation days.

Having said that, I don't see why anyone needs to be doing any of those sniping attitude remarks regardless of what time of year it is.

I am pagan.

and to be honest Christmas has never been a really special nor happy holidays for me. I have spend it alone for the past 3 years, it doesn't represent much for me.

But I celebrate Yule. Which at the simplest form mean humping. Better with me then being stuck on a church bench or something like this

Guest k***na

Not sure what I think about this thread.....

Im Muslim.

Does it really take the excuse of "CHRISTMAS" to be happy "spirited"?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this board and if you don't agree with what is being said then ignore it. No need to catch feelings and blame it on "Christmas Spirit".

Just saying.....

I second Kianna. I see no connection between Christmas Spirit and free speech. I think respect is always expected here not only during a certain season. I read the threads I think the OP is referring to and all I saw were concerns about someone's identity and a bit of a disagreement with a response someone made to a post. It was not the first time and I doubt it will be the last and the ones that brought that up may or may have not been right but I think they were respectful.

Bottom line IMO one should always feel free to express his/her POV even if a dscussion comes out of it as long as done with respect. Something else that we should keep in mind is that most of the time someone questioning our views on something or a omment we made is nothing personal against us but something about that sitution moving him and have him ask, nothing wrong with that. Just my opinion on the topic, hope I'm not ofending anyone and hope I'm explaining myself, had it more clear earlier but lost all I typed :(

• Like 1

Guest sh****s****r

Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum

A new SP to see, pa rum pum pum pum

My finest gifts I bring, pa rum pum pum pum

To lay before an SP ,pa rum pum pum pum,

rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

So to honor Her, pa rum pum pum pum,

When we come.

Sweet Baby, pa rum pum pum pum

I'm liar, I'm just a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum

I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum

That's fit to give an SP, pa rum pum pum pum,

Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum,

On my :dncdick:

The lovely SP nodded, pa rum pum pum pum

The lovely SP and I kept time, pa rum pum pum pum

I played my :dncdick: for Her, pa rum pum pum pum

I played my best for Her, pa rum pum pum pum,

Then she smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum

Me and my :dncdick:

Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum

A new SP to see, pa rum pum pum pum

My finest gifts I bring, pa rum pum pum pum

To lay before an SP ,pa rum pum pum pum,

So to honor Her, pa rum pum pum pum,

When we come.

Sweet Baby, pa rum pum pum pum

I'm liar, I'm just a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum

I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum

That's fit to give an SP, pa rum pum pum pum,

Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum,

On my :dncdick:

The lovely SP nodded, pa rum pum pum pum

The lovely SP and I kept time, pa rum pum pum pum

I played my :dncdick: for Her, pa rum pum pum pum

I played my best for Her, pa rum pum pum pum,

Then she smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum

Me and my :dncdick:

That is awesome

I punched mine in the throat repeatedly and left it for dead in a shallow ditch! ;)

But seriously folks,

it seems to me that PP is just trying to use a very common phenomenon (the whole getting into the xmas spirit thing) to remind us of something. We may all come from different walks of life, and as such, are going to have a variety of differing opinions, but that does not mean that we can't be respectful of each other and extend a certain level of goodwill and such.

I highly doubt he was trying to offend people who do not celebrate Christmas, he was just trying to say we should be excellent to each other with his own perspective of things as a backdrop/example (the whole xmas spirit thing in this case).

BTW,

I'm almost positive almost everyone here would happily help Berlin light her non-existant menorah candles! (Sorry B, couldn't resist! your post made me crack a huge grin!)

Additional Comments:

Hey folks,

It has been brought to my attention that I do not have all the information to properly gauge the context of this thread. I have not read the previous threads that have been mentioned, and to be honest, I have no interest in doing so. From the sounds of it, they are a giant mess I would rather not stick my foot in.

The basic intent of my post was in regards to some negative reactions to the Christmas spirit theme expressed by the OP, not any context regarding previous threads, or disagreements.

My apologies if I have offended anybody, I just want us all to have a good time!

:)

• Like 2

First my Condolences to you and your family PistolPete =(

Imo - regarding this thread only, I find that this is a very hard time of year for everyone, society puts alot of pressure on the do's and don'ts of X-mas. (If that's the right way of saying it) Their are shut downs at work, layoffs, long hours, family get togethers, school breaks with deadlines due beforehand, excited children etc.

Whether you celebrate it or not, you are a part of it one way or another.

Do to a world wide "Traditional" holiday since the beginning of our modern time - no Dino's, it is a hard month ( for some its months) to avoid.

I have 1/2 a family that celebrate & 1/2 that don't, children are torn down the middle and see both sides. Yet they cope and deal with it, and still smiles on their tiny little face's.

We can not avoid it, so like our children and the original reason of Christmas as well as all other times of the year, try to keep a smile on our face and be happy that we have any form of family to love and share our lives with.

At least that is what I try my very best to do.

xoxo to all!

• Like 1

I haven't seen the threads that PistolPete is referring to, but have seen some discussions flare up into full blown fights before, which saddens me because in my opinion CERB should be a place where adults can share their opinions freely and responsibly, with respect and dignity. I don't think PP was trying to equate those virtues with the Christmas season per se, but maybe was just a little curious if some of the people who got carried away in some of the mentioned threads weren't quite in the holiday spirit as yet.

Courtesy and tolerance should be a 365 thing, but at Christmas it can be a little disappointing when people lose their tempers over a difference of opinion. Even wars are halted during the holidays, so we should be able to get along here for a few days at least.

If there's one thing Christmas means, it's that we should always play nice. And not just during December, but all year round.

I am out of the loop on this one, but understand what you mean Pete!

I have made mistakes here on the board as well, I have learned from them ! When we screw up, we either learn from it and move on, or we will dwell and most likely repeat the mistake again. It is just a part of life and being apart of a community.

As for Christmas spirit.......I have all year long. I am always helping people around me and those who are distant from me too. Just the other day I furnished an apartment for a young girl who has 2 small children and had nothing, I would do this anytime of year.

One Christmas, I had visited Cuba( no Christmas there) I was curious if my " Christmas spirit" would fallow me there,. Sure enough, I awoke Christmas morning filled with love and generosity. There was one small run down Cathedral in Veradero, so I went to Christmas mass. There was a small young boy with an even smaller boy held in his arms. I knelt beside him in the peu, and slid ( 100 American dollars converted to Paso) into his tiny hands and told him to bring it to his mother and father right after mass. His dark brown eyes, filled with tears looked up at me. At that moment, I was hooked, I found so much joy in giving, that one moment changed my life for ever!

I think if it is in your nature to be generous, then no matter what time of year, it will shine threw.

So what IS Christmas spirit?

It can be found in any cultural background, any religion......

LOVE and GENEROSITY can be shown in any culture, from any walk of life, and from any econimic standing! So weather you believe in Christan Christmas or other traditions, it is essentially all about LOVE and GENEROSITY.

Think about it, what better time for our pioneers to share food, cloths for warmth, candles etc...but in the coldest and hardest time of the year( speaking about our environment here). Too bad we turned it into a consumer holiday tho, as it was in the past for making our winters just a little bit easier for our neighbors and family. To get a simple orange was a great treat in December!!

Edited by Studio 110 by Sophia
  • Like 7

Guest ***nsut***jr

Merry Christmas Pete,

As another one who does not know the background to your post, I can't comment.

However I can say that you have always been helpful and kind to me whenever I needed advice and it was good advice. Thanks always for that.

My condolences on the loss of your mother earlier this year.

I think what Sophia said was pretty well the way I feel about the Christmas spirit as well.

To me it represents a time of year that brings people together and the mood of life changes for just a short time. Memories of past years that run the range of emotions.

Of course love and generosity is something we should show all year.

Just because we highlight it and become more conscious of it at Christmas doesn't make it a bad thing.

So Merry Christmas to all my friends too (those of you who celebrate) and a year of happiness, love and generosity to everyone.

J

Edited by ***nsut***jr

I agree with you Pete. I've seen a lot of threads go bad in the last year or so for no good reason. I really hope people make an effort to understand others points of view and exercise tolerance if those views are different than their own.

Lets keep things positive in the CERB family tradition.

• Like 1

I agree. I've been a recent study in the Art of Conflict and communicating effectively. Understanding what the other is trying to say and accepting others opinions whether they agree with you or not, is not argumentative. It's actually the opposite and we can bicker effectively. It's human communication. I don't think the Christmas Spirit is what should encourage us to communicate effectively? Especially when we're a cultural community. I do celebrate and love this time of year but it doesn't have any impact on how I conduct myself or what I stand up for.

I think everyone has learned something here communicating in this forum. However, I will always express myself whether it's agreed upon or not and from what I have seen, we're not too bad around here. As long as we are not attacking, it's bound to happen. I've seen very few threads of this nature and I don't think they're enough to raise an awareness. They're few and far between. Tempers will flare anywhere whether here, at the Office or now in the malls with the holiday hustle and bustle. It's how we understand others opinions even though not our own, not take things personally, be respectful and just not open a thread that may bring out an emotional reaction. Anger is the worst emotion to make us look silly or pulling tantrums when our opinions are not in agreement with the masses. Sometimes stepping away and coming back is what's needed for perspective and calming the storm.

As Cat said on another touchy thread. Go eat some gummy bears and relaxxxxxxx......

There's no changing this and if we did, well, this place wouldn't be fun or expressive now would it? We're all originals and express our personalities differently. As humans, our flaws are what make us perfect.

Happy Holidays everyone!

I agree with you Pete. I've seen a lot of threads go bad in the last year or so for no good reason. I really hope people make an effort to understand others points of view and exercise tolerance if those views are different than their own.

Lets keep things positive in the CERB family tradition.

• Like 3