HELP!! I murdered my computer! :(

My computer half died on me yesterday. Only the fan was working. So tonight I thought the "beat the shit out of it to make it work" theory seemed like a good idea......it wasn't lol. Soooooo....now I'm looking for a laptop. I'm not very computer saavy (obviously lol) so I have no idea what's good and what's not. Anyone got any good suggestions? and cheap enough that I can hopefully walk out of the store with it tomorrow. Like say under $800 or so?. Preferrably something I could get at the Source as it's on my way home. I'm reaaaaally hating having to use my bb to get online lol.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

Guest E*******h S******s

You will be able to get something for under $800 at Best Buy, no problem.

If you have a fair amount of data collected on the harddrive of the broken computer, you may want to take the computer in with you. They can remove the harddrive so that you can plug it into your new computer and access the files. If you are tech savvy, you can do this yourself.....just buy the container and cord for the hard drive. Only costs about $20.

yeah I agree with Megan, if you're willing to spend that much, then for just a few bucks more you can get a macbook and some piece of mind !

• Like 1

You can get a very nice laptop these days for about 500 smackers including taxes. If you are not a tecno geek , I think it will do what you need and then some. Sure beats the days of 5000 dollar laptops that are nowhere near as powerfull as today. I have a real rockin machine and it was 1500 total. Bluray, hdmi, bluetooth ...

My one suggestion would be to avoid HP, everyone I know who bought the last generation of HP laptops (myself included) was disappointed because the battery life doesn't last long and it dies out quickly (i can only go 5 minutes at a time without being pluggedin now). I'd recommend Sony from what I've seen/read. That said, I am not a tech expert and I haven't done too much research recently. There are some good tech review sites out there, I'd consult those.

Guest Ou**or**n

If you up your budget a mere 25% you can get an 11" Macbook Air (without the tax).

ahhhhh...come on.......go get a MDG computer.......or oneof those Emachines.......haha

Acer, Asus, Samsung and Sony all have very affordable netbooks (essentially small laptops) in the $500-700 range. You can't go much wrong with any of them. The Apple Macbook Airs are even nicer, but a little pricier.

Dude, find yourself a young, tech savvy kid who will work for beer and pizza!

Seriously, I have the good fortune of knowing such a kid and they rule! Not only did he build my computer (apparently you can save hundreds of dollars by ordering all the components online and rockin' some home assembly), but he's also saved it three times now after I too, have killed/irreparably damaged it and tried the standard dumb guy solution (see: hitting it, and cursing profusely).

I'm willing to bet good money that a computer savvy acquaintance or co-worker

could perform a fairly painless resurrection for you :)

Guest s******ecan****

yeah there are loads of excellent machines below $500 retail all top namebrands...no need to spend more....especially if you are predisposed to violence :)

yeah there are loads of excellent machines below $500 retail all top namebrands...no need to spend more....especially if you are predisposed to violence :)

Only on inanimate objects lol. Otherwise I'm a teddy bear. Yeah a friend of mine has a Toshiba Sattelite that she raves about. I saw the source has it for about $500. Probably gonna pick one up tonight. I'm not too tech fancy so for what I need it'll do. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!! :)

Posted via Mobile Device

I'll make several points here, If you're already a windows user then stay with it. Go into a Best Buy or Staples and find a sales associate you're comfortable with, tell him what you want to do with it. He should be able to give you a few options. If you can afford $600 you should be able to walk out with a good machine.

They will probably try to sell you a service plan, which I don't think are worth it. Once you light it up and burn it in for a few months it's unlikely to fail and should be covered by the initial store and manufacturer warranty.

Last point, buy a half decent virus program such as Norton or McAfee.

Last point, buy a half decent virus program such as Norton or McAfee.

Or get a decent free one like Avast.

If you do buy Norton or McAfee do not auto renew online. Its cheaper picking a new license from a brick store.

So I bought my laptop tonight. Toshiba Satellite for about $500. I get home and guess who suddenly decides to start working again as if nothing ever happened??......I swear I really should murder the damn thing just out of spite now. Lol.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

Well generally, I'd perfer a desktop over a laptop.

Just because parts are abundant and cheap, with some skill you can easily replace it by yourself at a third of the cost.

If your not sure google answers everything!!

hmmm...maybe the CPU is dying or theres a overheating and cooling problem.

Anyway If its up to me I'd rather buy a high end gaming PC(alienware,Dell XPS, Asus G73) or a macbook.

The Toshiba Satelite isn't too bad of a machine, generaly good bang for your buck.

I whould say Avoid best buy, wall mart and etc. they just sell junk!!!

You can normally get Norton or McAfee for less than $50 anything higher and your getting riped off. I saw it at canada computers for $30.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/