Well, 2011 is in the books and we get to look forward to a long list of hotly anticipated releases in 2012. But with both the Oscars and the Raspberries less than two months away and buzz building about potential nominees, I thought I'd like to recap noteworthy titles-both good and bad-from 2011.

My Favorite: Rise of the Planet of the Apes was my favorite movie of the summer. A smart story and Andy Serkis should get an Oscar nodd for his work as Ceasar.

Worst: Apollo 18 was going to win this prize until I saw Drive with Ryan Gosling in October. Ugh. Can't describe how bad it was.

Most Disappointing: Contagion. Interesting idea and a killer cast but while it efficiently told its story it completely forgot to be entertaining and left a number of plot lines dangling. And Green Lantern. I really wanted this movie to be good and it turned out to be really average (at best).

Guilty Pleasures: Transformers 3 and Suckerpunch. Yeah, yeah, they were both pretty bad but great visuals-giant battling robots, dragons, zombie Nazis-how can that not appease your inner geek?

Pleasant Surprise: Thor. Complete opposite of Green Lantern. Went in with low expectations and was really pleased. Thought they did a great job of reconciling Asgardian myth as story and made Loki a sympathedic villain.

What about everyone else?

Top Pick - Limitless (intelligence at that level intrigued me)

Worst/Dissapointment - Hangover Part II (found it rather boring ... Loved the 1st one.)

Guilty Pleasures - Thor, Suckerpunch, Fast Five

Guest M*****ss****e
Top Pick - Limitless (intelligence at that level intrigued me)

Worst/Dissapointment - Hangover Part II (found it rather boring ... Loved the 1st one.)

Guilty Pleasures - Thor, Suckerpunch, Fast Five

Hangover 2 truly was disappointing :(

The movie I enjoyed the most was Hobo With a Shotgun. I don't go around recommending it to everybody I meet, but if you're the type that really likes 80s vigilante sleaze like Death Wish 3 or Savage Streets, it's a fun time at the movies.

Other stuff I liked:

Drive

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Hanna

Fast Five

Hangover 2 truly was disappointing :(

maybe i'm the minority here and thought that is was good, maybe...maybe better than the first.

Most Surprising: Limitless...i went into it not think much but it turn out very good.

Super 8 was a nice little gem (a more mature E.T. told by J.J. Abrahms). And my favorite animated movie was Kung Fu Panda 2. Funnier than the first but not as profitable.

Edited by Lowdark
Correcting an error

Worst: Apollo 18 was going to win this prize until I saw Drive with Ryan Gosling in October. Ugh. Can't describe how bad it was.

Interesting, I have not seen the movie but if you do a google search it is considered one of the year's best, not that means anything, just interesting that you found it one of the worst.

Not to be the one to pick the artsy fartsy critic's choice movie that nobody actually sees, but I actually really liked The Tree of Life especially the long segment with no dialogue.

Also, Moneyball was really good too. I didn't know how they were going to turn that into a movie, but the executed it very well.

Which one? Apollo 18 or Drive lol. I just couldn't invest much into the characters, there was very little dialogue and the plot was pretty confusing. Went to see it with a group and when the lights went up we all looked at each oher in disbelief. Gosling was much better in Ides of March.

Interesting, I have not seen the movie but if you do a google search it is considered one of the year's best, not that means anything, just interesting that you found it one of the worst.

Which one? Apollo 18 or Drive lol. I just couldn't invest much into the characters, there was very little dialogue and the plot was pretty confusing. Went to see it with a group and when the lights went up we all looked at each oher in disbelief. Gosling was much better in Ides of March.

Oops, my bad, I was referring to Drive.

sorry to disagree with Royalfun, but I thought The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was one of the few examples of Hollywood making a better version that the European original ... it stayed closer to the book and while I loved Noomi Rapace, I was happily surprised over how good Rooney Mara was

I haven't seen all the movies on my personal list yet, I have Limitless waiting for me on PVR, as are Source Code, Adjustment Bureau etc. Hanna is also waiting for me, I think it will be a good one.

I did see Sucker Punch, and was impressed by that particular twist ending. It almost ended predictably and I was very glad that it did not. Visually great to watch.

Arthur I like Russell Brand, and it was very good casting for this remake.

Animated: Hoodwinked Too! Cheech and Chong voices for vengeful little pigs out to blow up the Big Bad Wolf's trailer and evil siblings Hansel and Gretal.

I am not a fussy movie watcher, but when something is bad, its bad. Green Hornet was bad, as my expectations were high, but the desire to cast Seth Rogen and write him as a typical SR character was a bad choice.

Watched Source Code twice and loved it. Think I may watch one more time to pick up stuff I missed. Also loved Adjustment Bureau.

I don't like to get caught up in the media frenzy of movies, so I always go see movies nobody else watches. Here is my personal top 6.

Project Nim: A monkey caught up in a experiment that made me think what other species tell us about being human.

Cell 211: How a prison guard gets caught up in a prison riot on his first day of work and needs to pretend to the other prisoners that he is an inmate. He eventually becomes the biggest threat to the authorities. Really made me think about what it means being a criminal. Really relevant today as our government is trying to get tough on crime.

Client 9: Eye opening documentary on the real story behind why Eliot Spitzer was outed as a john.

Fair Game: how relentless negative media attention can kill the spirit. Sean Penn is amazing.

Beautifull Boy: A family dealing with the grief of their deceased son who shot up a school. An insight into the shame of loving someone who has done evil.

Fright Night (the 2011 remake in 3D): Not as good as the original. But it was a guilty pleasure with large popcorn, pop and nifty 3D glasses.

I also discovered these movies released in previous years that are so worth seeing over and over again

Troll 2: This movie is so unbelievably bad, it's dubbed the worst movie of all time. And yet, for some reason, I could not stop watching.

Cloud 9: A love story involving seniors. Crazy teenage love can hit at any age.

I want to see the The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters, Scarlett Road and Hysteria. http://www.sbs.com.au/films/movie/12176/Scarlet-Road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkEw3mWs86g

Client 9: Eye opening documentary on the real story behind why Eliot Spitzer was outed as a john.

Yeah, I rented this a few months ago too. I'm typically not a big follower of the American political scene, but I still found it very interesting to see a summary of this man's career and the mechanics of this scandal. Lots of funny characters like that crazy political goon with the tattoo of Nixon's face across his back.

Troll 2: This movie is so unbelievably bad, it's dubbed the worst movie of all time. And yet, for some reason, I could not stop watching.

This one was hilarious. The part with the popcorn will stay with me until I die.