Great video.

They have a wonderful centre in Corning, NY with displays, a museum, and creative center. I spent a week there learning how to work in glass, quite an experience.

Fantastic video!

I can easily see much of this technology being integrated in to our daily lives over the next decade. Think back 10 years ago to where our technology was, and think where we are now. Ideas like this will easily become part of our everyday life sooner, rather than later.

Nice! Thanks for the share RG...just looking in the past 5 years we can already see a little bit of this technology starting to come alive...I can see this happening by 2025:)

Guest jake_cdn

Okay now I know how my parents feel when I use all of the electronics that I have in front of them as they only had radio and TV ... thanks for making me feel old RG

If we become as dependent on technology for daily living as this video implies, a strong electromagnetic pulse, such as that from a high altitude nuclear device or a freak sunstorm, might cripple us.

The day my wine glass starts talking to me is the day I give up on society and become a hermit.

Jennifer's hot, but way overdressed; where's the white lingerie?

Edited by oldblueeyes
f-ing grammar
  • Like 1

And to think, not so long ago in Saskatchewan, my Mom went to school by horse and sleigh or carriage. Technology has changed the way we live more in the last 100 years than in the preceding millennium.

I spent a few years on the cutting edge of the latest and greatest technology, but now am almost a recluse from it, lol. I got tired of the dependency, the cost, and the distractions. My phone bill in 1995 was $750 a year. Now, with cell phones, internet, etc., it's over 7 grand per year...........WTF? When the kids are gone, the cell phones are theirs and I'll stick to my basic phone as long as possible. I don't want to surf the net from my phone, do FB, and so on. I'm the only one in this household that doesn't. I don't use my cell phone to talk or text while driving, either.......I pull over. A good day is when I forget my phone in the house while outside working and, I'll be damned, the world doesn't stop. As we become more dependent on mobile technology, I'll enjoy watching more videos like this one.........

That's cool. The technology is pretty neat. Thanks for the link.

Possibly oddball reaction follows, though:

Did anyone else find it... weirdly sterile? Like a Disney World version of things. I realize it's an ad, of course, and it's more interested in selling the potential of a technology than being a documentary forecast.

But I can't shake this weird feeling that... what... this is the future we're meant to aspire to? The people who made that ad thought that their target audience would respond to it well. They showed an idealized version of a possible future. But I felt myself thinking... what, they made something idealized and it's this? It's a weird ideal I'd actually hate to live in.

Not to mention, if the guy had been surfing CERB carelessly, he'd run the risk of finding it plastered all over his mirrors, fridge, and countertops the next morning. "Uh... honey?..." :)

EDIT: To expand on that a little, I guess my core response is based on a belief that our culture spends a LOT of time getting excited about "look what we can do!" and far, far too little time asking "who am I, and why am I doing that?" No criticism of you for posting this, though, RG -- it is very cool.

• Like 2

Did anyone else find it... weirdly sterile?

Yep. okay, some of it was pretty cool, but the three things I took away from it were:

- a house with kids in will be spotless.

- people will be too clueless to do their daily commute without a GPS

- corporations will be able to target ads specifically at you, which means they'll know everything about your life.

We're well on the way to the last two already, and neither fills me with joy. The first is clearly just silly.

Neat video Roamingguy! Thanks for sharing it!

If this truly is the future, I hope that internet companies raise their monthly banwidth caps because it looks like I would exceed mine just doing everyday routines!