Free Basic Photo Editing Program/software for a Mac

I'm still getting use to my Mac and I'm trying to find a free user friendly photo editing program for my/a Mac. I just want to be able to watermark, re-size, crop, blur face or place a shape over face and possible other parts and add text to a picture. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want or need any airbrushing stuff but changing the background would be a bonus.

Thank you in advance,

Big hugs Lexy

Hi Lexy,

I'm no Mac, but I'd guess that many options discussed in this thread would work for you.

Have fun playing with the pics!

toine

Thank you. I knew I saw/read a post about the same subject but wasn't sure if the software would be compatible with a Mac. I'll have to do so reading and hopefully find something.

Guest S*rca****sid
Thank you. I knew I saw/read a post about the same subject but wasn't sure if the software would be compatible with a Mac. I'll have to do so reading and hopefully find something.

Hi Lexy,

check out the Apple social group http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/group.php?groupid=63

There you will find all of us apple users on Cerb. Great place to ask fellow apple users questions about Macs.

Its not simple but free and close to photoshop in many ways. My choice is gimp

• Like 2

As mentioned, GIMP is not easy. That being said, if you've ever tried GIMP in the past there has been vast improvements in the ease of use. Very similar to photoshop. It is free and has a lot of powerful features built in with numerous free guides to assist you along your way.

Guest S*rca****sid
As mentioned, GIMP is not easy. That being said, if you've ever tried GIMP in the past there has been vast improvements in the ease of use. Very similar to photoshop. It is free and has a lot of powerful features built in with numerous free guides to assist you along your way.

I second that, there isn't anything better than GIMP when you compare all the free software. It's even better than most commercial software, second to Photoshop.

Spend 80 bucks on the Photoshop Elements app available in the mac app store

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adobe-photoshop-elements-10/id465291110?mt=12

I use Photoshop CS5 for work and freelance applications on my PCs but since converting to Mac last year I installed this app on my mac mini and macbook pro and am very impressed with the features of this software given the price and how much the full CS version cost me!

Spend the 80 dollars, consider it an investment in you and your business, GIMP is nice but can prove to be challenging especially if you're not comfortable with getting under the hood.

I highly recommend Photoshop Elements for the novice user. It will allow you the ability to blur, water mark, remove tattoos , add text and other industry related requirements with ease.

Thank you all. I had Photoshop on my desktop PC and Gimp on my "work" only laptop but now that I mainly use my Mac and still getting my feet wet with the transition (just over six months) i'll take both in to consideration, as I am very familiar with both programs. I just don't want or need anything to enhance or fabricate my photos. I will join the group. I do love my Mac!!

There was a time when I would have agreed with all the comments here, but I have recently had recommendations experiences that make me think GIMP is not as hard for regular users that some have indicated already.

I told a few people I would try and find something easier than GIMP but was still free and could do the large variety of things they wanted. They all tried GIMP while waiting and all loved it. Could be a coincidence but I am starting to think that GIMP _can_ be allot for a regular person, but does not have to be. You do not have to know every feature to use any one feature.

Way more importantly though, it is free and if you need help using it, we are all here for you. (At least I am, seems like other would be as well.)

I very recently found out about a programme called Pixelitor. It is amazing considering how small the team on it is. Basic image editing, boasts about its many filters.

Playing around with it I was impressed with the interface on the filters.

One thing that stood out was the Text tool (which is under filters). It has built in super simple controls for creating a visible watermark.

http://pixelitor.sourceforge.net

It appears easy to use, but lacks documentation.

Discovered that one should create a new layer when creating text, unless the text is to be a watermark.

For invisible watermarks, I skip them and suggest Stegnography instead.