Acaidian Buses, still on strike??

1 Week before Christmas, they went on strike. I am so shocked that they are still on strike!! I really thought they would up and running again. I feel bad for the many students who depend on it for getting home and back from university. The university started a shuttle for their students, many independent driver's that are providing rides to each city in NB.

I am equally shocked that we never hear anything on the news about it...or at least I have not seen or heard. Are they negotiating? What was the underlining purpose for this strike? Are we loosing our bus-line? Any end in sight? Has this impacted your lives as a student or as touring SP?

I am not affected, as I use a personal driver for getting to and from each city that I visit.

Does anyone have any info where this stands now, any end in sight?

The strike continues and it is dreadful, as within PEI and NB there are no or few other transit options besides automobile.

In NB the train does not go to Fredericton or Saint John, so flying from city to city is available, but I believe that all flights back and forth route through Halifax first. Not really an economically viable option!

It really appears as if both sides are not interested in settling. The last news item I heard was yesterday, saying that they would start talks again - at the end of April! Unbelievable.

• Like 1

I work with the union, they want to binding arbitration, but the company wants nothing to do with it. The company wants to get drivers from quebec to come over here...and phase out NB drivers. At least that's what union is saying.

• Like 1

Guest nbnbnb

I also find it odd that a company that does the PEI to Halifax run is trying to set up some runs in NB and is being opposed - by the Acaidian Lines folks. I cannot remember if it's the union for the drivers on strike, or the company that owns the bus line, but I am sure neither wants a second option...

With no options for paid transportation by a company, travelling SP's will have to use their own car or rely on the generosity of clients. Still, it's $50-80 for a fill-up depending on the vehicle and you're relying on the trust of a stranger.

• Like 1

I thought it was acadien bus lines and the mothers group from bathurst who were interveners on that hearing.

the new 15 passanger vans have traction control and 4 wheel ABS brakes front air bags, etc etc a far cry from the old cargo vans with some metal bench seats screwed onto the floor from the 1980's

Hi,no bus options yet and the government seems unwilling to push them back to the roads,most bus users cannot afford air or rail travel and since its usually the poor that get stepped on here is a classic example,if it was air canada or via rail they would have been back to work ages ago.At least thats the way I see it.I hope I have not offended anyone by saying this.Bye,have a good day.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,I was looking at the MSN home page(under NB) this morning and with great interest I read about air canada having some problems with pilots and so on.Now I urge you all to watch and see just how long it takes to fix this as we all know who travel by airlines,don't we?

There seems to be legislation in the works (or has this been already been legislated?) to prevent any kind of air traffic interruption from AC... Not so fortunate for the bus routes tho...

Hi everyone,I was looking at the MSN home page(under NB) this morning and with great interest I read about air canada having some problems with pilots and so on.Now I urge you all to watch and see just how long it takes to fix this as we all know who travel by airlines,don't we?

Well im so glad I was snooping around! Im heading that way next month!

Well its the train

And Air Canada....can kiss my ass!!! I think Canadians are tired of bailing there ass out!! Who the hell travels for a wk with only carry on....And they wonder why Westjet is so big!!

• Like 1

Well im so glad I was snooping around! Im heading that way next month!

Well its the train

And Air Canada....can kiss my ass!!! I think Canadians are tired of bailing there ass out!! Who the hell travels for a wk with only carry on....And they wonder why Westjet is so big!!

The via is limited on the east coast, and some of the scheduals are not the best either.

As for Air Canada, if you choose to fly out east they are the ONLY airline to fly to some cities out this way. And you still get one checked bag for free with Air Canada within Canada so I'm confused with your carry on comment?

I'm wondering if Shelly is referring to the labour disruptions with baggage handlers?

• Like 1

I'm wondering if Shelly is referring to the labour disruptions with baggage handlers?

Good day all,

I was hoping to take the bus as it stops in Hal near where i would be staying, instead of taking a taxi from downtown.

I will be looking at the train, but as Emily has pointed out limited service.

As far as flying goes, the last time I booked a flight I was told that there was a charge for any luggage going underneath, my mistake that was the info I was given. My mistake.

Are the local airlines fairly expensive and would someone be so kind as to let me know which airlines they are,so I could look into it....

Thank you,

Are the local airlines fairly expensive and would someone be so kind as to let me know which airlines they are,so I could look into it....

Thank you,

It depends on where you want to go:

To get to Fredericton or Saint John from Halifax - Only Air Canada flies there

To get to all other destinations, depending on where you are coming or going to Air Canada, West Jet and Porter fly there (but some routes are seasonal)

You can pm me if you want other information

Emily

I just read that the bus strike is over and a new contract has been settled on and accepted. The company indicates that they will resume service over the next week.

About time, haven't followed it closely enough to know what changed in the last few months to lead them to an agreement, but happy they did. They say 10 days or so before service is fully restored, we'll see how that goes.

they accepted the contract at 92% on May 4th 2012.....buses will return in NB & PEI in 2 weeks!!! Just in time for the social in Halifax!!! lol

• Like 1

Guest **cely***r***ne

Ahh! Finally I can start planning a trip to New Brunswick!

On Acadian's facebook page they said they will have more route information available on Monday, you can call customer support, check their website or facebook page for more info.

Wow, guess the strike just postponed the inevitable...now they are closing for good?? Or just threatening to unless the Maritime provinces pony up some cash to cover their losses!!! So sad :(

Guest jrose

Perhaps this is what's needed to open the markets. On one hand, I can see the reason the goverment stepped in to keep service going into some areas, but how long should the goverment be permitted to force a company to take a loss on part of their business? I saw somewhere they lost millions last year.

The company that does tour rentals from PEI has said they are looking at expanding I belive.

That's really annoying that they put people through the hell of a strike and now are closing down. Hopefully someone else will come here and do well.

• Like 1