Why is the Silver Dollar referred to as the "Dirty Dollar"?

This is a question i have been wondering for a while, i myself have never been there but i was always curious about checking it out, but hearing so many references about it being called the "dirty dollar" have kept me away for some reason.

Actually it's referred to as the Dirty NICKLE and I think it's just because it's much smaller and less glitzy than the downtown and gatineau clubs, and kinda in the middle o'nowhere

Once upon a time, The Silver Dollar lived way far away on the spectrum from flashy, glitzy clubs. It had a down-home, comfortable feel to it where you could feel comfortable in your blue-collar work clothes. Very much like a neighbourhood bar that happened to be strippers.

In my corporate life the Buck was part of the standard Visiting Businessmen's night on the town. In fact, several of our most successful products were designed on napkins there.

I've always thought of the Dollar's alternate names (The Buck, The Dirty Nickel, what have you) as being affectionate appellations to a down-scale place which often has the prettiest, nicest, most social performers.

If you haven't been there, you have not truly experienced the entire Ottawa SC scene.

• Like 1

I would agree it is an ok place to if you are looking for a change in scenery. I was there once a few years ago. It turned out I met a fine lady, I used to enjoy time with at Barb's.

when it 1st opened it had two floors of dancers on the ground floor and basement. the pool tables were also in the basement and they took up half the floor with and the stage was like a theater stage in the basement. As the owneship changed several times, the basement got closed. And the country theme dance bar became less clean in the late 70's the girls became the more raunchier type instead of the burlesque gala type dancer. And so as the quality went down it became known as the Dirty Nickel.

I have also heard it referred to as the Crusty Loonie!

I remember it being a country bar in the late 70's early 80's before it was a SC. I think it was called The Corral or something like that.

I have also heard it referred to as the Crusty Loonie!

I remember it being a country bar in the late 70's early 80's before it was a SC. I think it was called The Corral or something like that.

early 70's

If it was early 70's......then I was drinking there when I was 12 yrs old!

it was open before u started drinking, my brother described the live bands to me, he went there with his 1st wife he was there in his early 20's.

In the 80's, a bunch of us frequently slipped out at lunch time for a beer that came with a free lunch -- and some nice views!

If it was early 70's......then I was drinking there when I was 12 yrs old!

And knowing Peachka, he may have been drinking at 12. lol

Early 70's. Wow.

I never even knew that place was even remotely close to being that old.

look at the building u can tell, by the way it was a country music bar 1st