Does education matter?

Does education matter to you guys when you are sharing an experience with an sp, mp or dancer?

I do not have a good education and yes it is something I'm embarrassed about. My circumstances growing up did not allow me to get the proper education I needed. I still think that I'm a well adjusted individual and that I have done pretty well for myself. No two people walk the same path.

I get questioned all the time about this. I even have had people testing me during sessions and I find it down right insulting. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like sp should be judged about their service that they are providing and not the type of education they have.

It's all about personality, my dear. Open-mindedness is also critical. However, if you're a genuinely nice person, we'll find something to talk about.

Cometman beat me to it. If your personality shines then that is the most important quality you could possess. Besides, your writing style indicates an intelligence that cannot necessarily be obtained in school.

• Like 3

Does education matter to you guys when you are sharing an experience with an sp, mp or dancer?

I do not have a good education and yes it is something I'm embarrassed about. My circumstances growing up did not allow me to get the proper education I needed. I still think that I'm a well adjusted individual and that I have done pretty well for myself. No two people walk the same path.

I get questioned all the time about this. I even have had people testing me during sessions and I find it down right insulting. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like sp should be judged about their service that they are providing and not the type of education they have.

An education does not make or break a person,if someone is testing you they are doing it out of their own insecurity,after all

the only people that put others down are the ones that are lacking something within themselves.

Their are many very smart,self made people that don't have an education,their are very educated assholes,their are those with high school that can talk they way around,up and down a person with a phd.Never feel inferior,you are you,special,one of a kind and deserving of as much respect as any.

• Like 2

To me education does not matter, and this applies not only to dates with wonderful sp's like yourself :) but to who I choose spend time with outside of this hobby.

To me education is not a mark of how intelligent a person is. I've known people with university degree's that aren't exactly the brightest bulbs out there, and to be honest university doesn't exactly prepare you for the real world and having to deal with real life situations. Some of my best friends only have their high school diplomas but they are still what I would call very intelligent people. And you can always go back to school whereas some experiences you only get one shot at.

What I value most in both sp's and my friends is the personality. I would rather spend my time with someone who puts a smile on my face, who makes me laugh, someone I enjoy talking too and all and all is a kind soul than someone who can quote the periodic table of elements. A killer body doesn't hurt either ;)

• Like 2

Guest W***ledi*Time

I've never really thought of handing out a pop-quiz to start a session. Formal education is only one type of education - and it doesn't necessarily do any good. I'm a case in point. Education is as education does.

Peachy .... It doesnt matter to me at all.....I want to meet you sweetie not your education... It is not a prerequisite and I don't bring my diploma from high school or college for u to see so I don't expect you too either ;) Hell the way I talk around here I suspect many ladies wonder if I went to school at all. !!

If there are fellas that make you feel embarrassed ....... they don't deserve your company. !!

Just be YOU. !

• Like 7

I don't have the formal education level I thought I would have for someone for my age, but I have noticed that doesn't really matter so much when it comes to seeing clients, being knowledgeable about other topics does help with conversation but you can get that from reading books and news articles.

If someone is trying to "test" they are just being an ass. You can also go back to school if you really want to do it, and if that is something you really want to do then that journey will help with your own personal growth and no one else's

• Like 2

I will give you some insight Peachy as to my thought process on the matter of education.

Personally I went to one of the world's best schools called King Alfred School in Barnet, North London. Then the Britannia Royal Naval College. Graduated from the Commando Training Centre Royal Marines. Have a degree in Political Science from the University of Westminster and a minor in English Literature. I'm planning on getting my master's in Poly Sci in the next 2 years. I'm also a member of MENSA, though I did do the testing so hungover it proves they'll hand those things out to anyone!!!

Does my education make me more intelligent than the next person...absolutely not! A piece of paper does not make one intelligent.

Case in point...my paternal grandfather had a grade 6 education, and he was the most brilliant person I've ever know!!!

My grandfather grew up in a small town in Quebec at the turn of the last century. His father was killed in an accident when he was only 5, and he grew up incredibly poor. Yet despite his lack of education he was deeply intelligent. He could speak, read and write 11 languages. He could solve the most complex of engineering issues without assistance. It was he who said to me as a young boy, "do what's right, not what's easy". He had such a profound affect on my life, I thank him for it everyday of my life.

Peachy, you seem to me to be incredibly intelligent, don't let education matter...it is important, but a piece of paper does not make one intelligent! :)

• Like 2

I do like smart women. That being said there is book smart and there is life smart. And who am I to judge? If you are open to it you can learn something from every single person you meet no matter their background, education or profession.

Heck, I've risen to the top of a couple companies in completely different indusrtries with a Grade 12 education. Some stick their nose up at my lack of formal education and when they do....I just smile and cash their cheque :)

Peace

MG

• Like 2

You Can Be Highly Intelligent Without Being Highly Educated

You Can Be Highly Educated Without Being Highly Intelligent

Education is not equal to intelligence, though it is often used as an external measure of it. Certain types of education can give you a pretty good idea that someone is at least of certain minimum intelligence (you can't actually be dumb and have an advanced degree in mathematics), but they don't provide a measure of how far beyond that minimum they are, and a lack of education says absolutely nothing about their intelligence.

And, by the way, neither education nor intelligence prevent you from doing stupid things- As far as I know, nothing in the world stops that.

• Like 3

I shall echo what virtually everyone here is saying.

Experiences with SP's are overall experiences. I know that I enjoy the company of intelligent people, not just intelligent women but intelligence however has little bearing on how far one has gone in completing a formal education.

I have been taught by brilliant people and I have worked with and met brialliant people, many of whom unfortunately had the personality of a door knob. On the other hand I have met and worked with people who do not have all of those pieces of paper, but who are articulate, informed, and beautiful people to be with.

I have some pieces of paper behind me, but I have met ever so many people who though missing those pieces of paper are ever so much better educated than I in so many ways that I am embarrassed at times by what I do not know and had sometimes never even thought about!

So to answer your question straight out, what is important is the whole person, not merely one small aspect that is categorized by having letters after their name.

Great topic idea and it shows intelligence and personal confidence to post it!

• Like 3

Pfft don't ever let anyone make you feel low about your education! You can be the most educated person in the world but it does not necessarily make you "smart", being life smart or "street" smart can make you more educated then anyone with a "formal" education...It's your personality that draws them in and keeps them in ;) Being educated can come in so many different types of levels, anyone who belittle's you about your mind is the "uneducated" one!!!

• Like 1

Being book smart doesn't make you life smart or street smart. Or emotionally intelligent, or creative. There are so many different kinds of intelligence to which education is irrelevant. Go with what you got :)

• Like 4

Peachy you are a very smart, funny and charismatic person. i enjoyed my time with you very much. if anybody as a problem it's them not you. like i said you are a great lady.

I've known people who had university degrees yet their spelling was atrocious. They would write the word "were" when they really meant "we're". I remember learning that in grade two. Or others who couldn't string a sentence together. I sometimes wonder how they made it through. I've also seen CEOs of large multi million dollar companies make the same mistakes using the word "weather" when they were supposed to use "whether". LOL. Their first language was English so there was really no excuse.

I believe that it is not just education that can make someone go further in life. Personality, ambition and a positive outlook are major contributing factors as well. If you have life experience, it counts for something as I've also known people from high school who have an education yet they do not have the life skills and are still living at home at the age of 30. And they have the personality of a piece of wood to boot.

I would not let your lack of education get in the way of your business. I have spent some time in this industry and learned a lot and have had many great conversations with clients. It is also the way you carry yourself. If you give off that vibe that you don't think you're good enough or smart enough, people pick up on that and the ignorant ones will try to use that to their advantage or make you feel stupid and worthless.

I've never had problems in school but I don't really consider myself book smart. I felt as if I was just going through the motions because that's what you were supposed to do. To be honest, I really wasn't that interested in learning theory. I was more of a practical person who had a creative side. It wasn't until I finished high school that I discovered what I wanted to do. I am someone who has a lot of life experience from an early age and made me who I am today.

If you want to discuss certain topics with clients, I would advise you to stay on top of current events. Reading the newspaper daily doesn't hurt either. Generally, if you're on a half hour or hour appointment, there is not a lot of time to test the intelligence of an SP. However, if you're on a dinner date and want to have a good conversation, ask questions ( what they do for a living and let them lead the conversation) or find something light to talk about.

At the end of the day, SPs are not there to prove how smart they are. If you've created a name for yourself in this business, I think you're off to a good head start as our industry is cut throat. It takes time to establish yourself. By doing so, you will have proven to others that you are an intelligent person. Sometimes just being yourself makes you more interesting instead of having to prove how smart you are.

• Like 2

Guest W***ledi*Time

I had this comic strip tacked on my bulletin board for years. Yes, there's a message here, ha ha ...

db850127.gif

"Doonesbury" by Garry B. Trudeau January 27, 1985

Education doesn't mean anything! I actually got iq tested routinely in school because i failed half my classes and aced the other ones. They thought i was autistic or something. Nope just adhd and a 168 iq. I dropped out of school when I was 15. When I tell people this their minds are blown as I can discuss just about anything and definetly have alot more knowledge then most of my college educated friends. If someone wants to quiz you then tell them to fuck right off because they are being a pretentious asshole.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

I've honestly forgotten almost everything I learned in high school, and most of what I learned in university. For my own personal self, I'm happy I went to university because it was a fantastic experience. But that degree has not gotten me any 'better' place in life, nor does it make me smarter than the average bear. Even having forgotten so much I've learned in the past, I still am confident that I am a smart woman, and I would feel that way degree or no degree. If a client has the gall to quiz me on my education before, during, or after a session, the only response they would get in return would be me declining their appointment.

Education doesn't mean anything! I actually got iq tested routinely in school because i failed half my classes and aced the other ones. They thought i was autistic or something. Nope just adhd and a 168 iq. I dropped out of school when I was 15. When I tell people this their minds are blown as I can discuss just about anything and definetly have alot more knowledge then most of my college educated friends. If someone wants to quiz you then tell them to fuck right off because they are being a pretentious asshole.

Posted via Mobile Device

Sigh....sometimes I am too politically correct. I like the part highlighted in red above. Sort of gets right to the root of the problem.

Never feel badly about your level of educational achievement. It doesn't speak to who you are, what you can achieve, etc. etc.

Having said that, if it is something that bothers you, or you feel that improving your education or completing your degree is important to you, then I would really encourage you to pursue it. Let's face it, a lot of doors in our society won't open without the piece of paper.

But do it for the right reasons, for you!!! Because it fits with what you want for yourself. Not because you think others will think less of you for not having it.

In my view, one of the worse things someone can do is make someone else feel inadequate because of their education. Anyone who does that isn't a good friend or client.

Peachy, your posts show a beautiful intelligent person. Don't doubt it for a second!

Reading the responses to this thread gives me all sorts of warm fuzzy feelings. It's great to see so many thoughtful comments on the nature intelligence, and the things that make someone an interesting companion to spend time with.

I dropped out of school when I was 16, to further my unconventional education. Like April Dawn, a lot of people are surprised to hear that about me. We have this cultural notion of a dropout as lazy, unintelligent, and unmotivated. What I find particularly lazy is the way that people are so quick to judge others for these surface details and not for their personality, skill, and insight. Formal education is just one way that people can learn and exercise their minds. Thank goodness it's not the only one- what a boring world we would have, then!

Don't let these clients get you down. They are the ones showing their ignorance. By being the successful SP that you are, you have proved your smarts quite adequately, I think.

• Like 3

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this post. It most certainly makes me feel better. Everyone has something that makes them feel insecure and this just happens to be that thing for me. I'm not afraid to admit that. As a human being I have strengths and weaknesses. I always try to learn from my mistakes, tho. I shouldn't let others feed off of my insecurities and next time it happens I will not be so polite. Reading this thread is really encouraging. Thanks for the insight.

XoXo

Peachy/Val.

Formal education doesn't matter to me in who I see or like

There's something to be said about the school of hard knocks

Yes, I went to university...forgot almost everything taught LOL

My friends, high school graduates, but not only do I like them, I respect them

A little secret, when I went to high school I was streamed (school and parent's decision btw) into university prep program. Couldn't take a shop at all. I envy those who have mechanical aptitude/training, an education I was denied in school...point is university education isn't the only education

But at the end of the day, it's the type of person you are, whether you have a degree, high school, trade school, school of hard knocks...if you are a nice person, a good person, someone who is pleasant and fun to be around, that's what's important

RG