So I am going on a trip to California in may and I have no idea what to bring or not bring. Im flying so I don't want to lug around a ton of stuff. My plans are lay by a pool all week so my packing list has bikinis, sunscreen, heels, flip flops and a toothbrush on it so far.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions on what to bring or buy down there?

Posted via Mobile Device

I suggest warmer clothes (long sleeves or hoodies) for the evening time as there is sometimes a drastic change in temperature from the afternoon to night time. If you're by the ocean, it's usually pretty windy too...

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Travelling light also allows you to shop and upgrade your wardrobe of course. You can bring more back with you without worrying about flight weight allowance!

Ok I feel really dumb asking this but what about hairsprays, lotions and perfumes? Are they going to explode on the plane or something?

Posted via Mobile Device

Ok I feel really dumb asking this but what about hairsprays, lotions and perfumes? Are they going to explode on the plane or something?

Posted via Mobile Device

No, but when ever possible check them and put them in a plastic bag in your checked luggage.(this way if they leak or explode they are contained and your clothing is safe) You are only allowed to bring in your carry on what fits in a plastic bag provided to you from airport security and no items can be more than 100mls and they all have to fit in one bag.

Travelling light also allows you to shop and upgrade your wardrobe of course. You can bring more back with you without worrying about flight weight allowance!

If your bringing stuff back don't forget to save your receipts. You may need to prove what you paid for things.

A good website to check before leaving:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/kwte-qatf-eng.html

No but in your checked luggage if the cap pops off an aerosol can due to rough handling (no they don't handle our checked luggage rough do they? Yeah, it's like gorilla warfare) sometimes it won't even help if it is in a plastic bag, once the next piece of luggage goes on top and presses on the valve, the pressure buildup can be enough to pop a plastic bag open and go everywhere. Of course the worst is shaving cream but it's surprising how much damage a tube of toothpaste can do but any aerosol can go EVERYWHERE if given the chance.

I have a simple solution that has never failed me -- vinyl electrical tape. Cheap and you can wrap it around that can or bottle 10 or 15 times if you are paranoid and secure the cap so tight it will never come off; then just throw the rest of the roll of tape in there as well for packing up on the way back (no need to even try reusing it). Even a liquid like shampoo with a tilt valve at the top or a cream that doesn't really have a cap like an aerosol can be secured well, you start wrapping around the body of the bottle and proceed upwards until you reach the top and then a little beyond. Easy to remove also. Always works.

Just a few ideas.

Bring along a bunch of large Ziplocs. Put my shampoo bottle in one as I once had the cap on one open and had quite a mess to clean up. Good for putting soiled undies and socks in.

Got some new ID tags at Lee Valley that are made in a way that has your full identification but not visible. Never too sure whose hanging around the luggage carousel checking out whose left an empty house.

Last, I like to stay in touch so I've started to carry a Playbook tablet ($199). They have great battery life and have great apps. Mine is equipped with a Kobo reader and some great games to keep me busy during the trip. With a Wifi connection they can be used to get your email or pull up a web site at coffee shops, airports, and hotels.

Thank you everyone this is exactly what I need haha I definetly suck at packing and traveling in general!

Posted via Mobile Device

So I am going on a trip to California in may and I have no idea what to bring or not bring. Im flying so I don't want to lug around a ton of stuff. My plans are lay by a pool all week so my packing list has bikinis, sunscreen, heels, flip flops and a toothbrush on it so far.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions on what to bring or buy down there?

Posted via Mobile Device

I've been there many times and my advice is not to bring too many clothes if you are going to be by the pool. I would bring a few outfits that are of thin material because depending on the time of the year and the area, it's more of a dry heat.

You could also convert into evening wear depending on where you are going other than the pool. Sometimes wearing a skirt with a nice top during the day can also be worn at night with another top. Buy a few trashy Harlequin romance novels and you're good to go.

A few suggestions which you may already know -

- check the temperature of the city or area you are going to on the Weather network now; it will give you an idea what the temperature will be like in May

- if you are bringing back duty-free booze and/or perfumes and you need to transfer in say, Vancouver, make sure you put the bottles in your checked-in luggage after baggage claim and before rechecking it for the connecting flight.

- bring a change of clothings and any medications you may need in your carry-on bag. A checked luggage can get lost and you may find yourself wearing old clothings for a day or two.

- make sure you don't bring any nail-cutter ( with a small knife), knives, metallic nail filer etc. in your carry-on.

Have a safe flight and enjoy your vacation!