Well, we are all familiar with Murphy's Law which in its simplest state says, "If anything can go wrong, then it will."

I am going to put it to the test. I had brand new snow tires put on in the fall and never once because of the winter that we had felt that I was in need of them. So, this afternoon the summer tires are going back on.

According to Murphy's Law, we all know what is going to happen here don't we!

I expect that many of us have great Murphy's Law anecdotes.

• Like 1

When going to university my engineering prof's pretty much brought up Murphy's law on a daily basis. And I have to say that I'm learning more and more how true it is. The Titanic anniversary this week is kind of a prime example of Murphy's law at work. They said it couldn't sink, and it sunk. Although there were a few other factors at work too.

So I've pretty much learned to prepare for the unexpected. You know having a little extra cash in the bank, brining along a few extra things on a trip, having some extra food at home for the zombie apocalypse, lol.

There have been a few times though when working as a computer tech that I've forgotten to bring along a certain cable and of course end up having to run back to the shop cause it's the one thing they didn't have.

Like Mr Nice I am ready to take the winters off. Only problem, it's going to cost $1000 for new summer tires.

How about when we go to the grocery store or the pharmacy and you are in a hurry and only have a few items

to pay for?

You pick a line hoping that it will go by fast only to see that the line you have been standing in for a while is no longer moving because there seems to be an issue at the cash. After a few long minutes you decide to change lanes as it is taking way too long.

The line is now moving and your turn to pay is almost there. Then the lady in front of you starts arguing with the cashier about the price of an item because she says it's supposed to be on special. The cashier calls someone to go confirm the special price... wait, wait, wait and wait some more... the special for the product she wanted ended a few days ago and she no longer wants it but still argues that she should be getting the special anyway. She proceeds to pay and her credit card is not working. She tries her debit card but forgot her pin number. Then she counts the money she has in her wallet only to see that she doesn't have enough so the cashier has to re-do the transaction all over again making sure the lady has enough to pay for it all. By that time, the people who were behing you in the other line have already paid and gone...

It never fails every time I'm in a hurry!

• Like 1

Guest N***he**Ont**y

On the Thursday just passed I bought some groceries at the local Walmart in my neighbourhood and wanted to pay using my debit card. Debit machine would not read my card. Along lineup waiting. I pull out a credit card same thing happens.I pull out another credit card and nothing happens. People are glaring at me and I am sure they are thinking what is this dumb ass doing.Clerk tries rebooting the machine and same thing happens.I ask the clerk if there is an ATM near by. Card works in the ATM and I get cash, costs me $1.40 in service fees and I finally got out of there. People were still glaring at me as I slinked off out of the store.LOL

MightyFinn

Well, we are all familiar with Murphy's Law which in its simplest state says, "If anything can go wrong, then it will."

I am going to put it to the test. I had brand new snow tires put on in the fall and never once because of the winter that we had felt that I was in need of them. So, this afternoon the summer tires are going back on.

According to Murphy's Law, we all know what is going to happen here don't we!

Yep... no more snow :) Attempts to experimentally verify Murphy's Law are, according to the Law itself, doomed to failure.

Of course if you weren't trying to prove Murphy's Law, you'd be knee-deep in the fluffy white stuff already.

And if you were trying to double-bluff Murphy's Law... well, just don't, okay?

• Like 2

I went to a movie the other night and went to go get a drink. I thought I was in luck when I picked the shortest line at the concession stand but of of course as Murphy's Law would have it, the person in front of me was not only ordering for her indecisive self but people who she was waiting for who had just gotten there. The other line had served 3 other people before the woman in front of me had left. That's Murphy's Law for you!

On the Thursday just passed I bought some groceries at the local Walmart in my neighbourhood and wanted to pay using my debit card. Debit machine would not read my card. Along lineup waiting. I pull out a credit card same thing happens.I pull out another credit card and nothing happens. People are glaring at me and I am sure they are thinking what is this dumb ass doing.Clerk tries rebooting the machine and same thing happens.I ask the clerk if there is an ATM near by. Card works in the ATM and I get cash, costs me $1.40 in service fees and I finally got out of there. People were still glaring at me as I slinked off out of the store.LOL

MightyFinn

mighty finn, just to let you know i had the same problem with walmart here in brockville. was at the bank atm,card worked, gas station, card worked, then walmart, nope, nko go. i paid in cash and wnet back to the bank to replace what i spent and , you got it , the card worked. i have since noticed others having trouble with their cards at walmart. peiople working there tell you it is your card but i think it is there machines.

Guest p**h*x
How about when we go to the grocery store or the pharmacy and you are in a hurry and only have a few items

to pay for?...

LOL, so true. It seems like every time I go to the grocery store for a couple of things I get caught in the vortex of jumping from line to line trying to get the one that is not going to take 74 hours to go through. It never works out.

It's probably just me though. For some reason I hate being in the grocery store and I think the Universe knows I hate it and just wants to fuck with me.

Slightly off topic for the thread but reading your post reminded me of this Louis CK bit.

Patiently waiting for a package, knowing it could come at any time but having to shower. I wait and wait and decide that it is safe enough to quickly shower. Not 10mins out of earshot and lo and behold, Mr. Purolator left a notice on my door. Ugg I was really excited :(

Bought two new printer cartridges for my printer, print one page, and the printer dies. I now have a new printer, which of course takes different cartridges.

Porthos

It's getting a little away from the real meaning of Murphy's Law, but whenever I buy a large basket of vegetables from the farmer's market I suddenly get a lot of dinner invitations from friends. Inevitably half the veggies rot in my fridge. This is especially a problem when I buy fresh basil, since it is my favourite.

Keeping up with the line up and Murphy's law, I'm standing in a line up at a fast food restaurant for about 5 minutes, the 2 kids in front of me are talking to each other and when it comes time for them to order they have to study the menu over the cashiers. They had all the time in the world to do that while waiting Ughhh.

to pay for?

You pick a line hoping that it will go by fast only to see that the line you have been standing in for a while is no longer moving because there seems to be an issue at the cash. After a few long minutes you decide to change lanes as it is taking way too long.

The line is now moving and your turn to pay is almost there. Then the lady in front of you starts arguing with the cashier about the price of an item because she says it's supposed to be on special. The cashier calls someone to go confirm the special price... wait, wait, wait and wait some more... the special for the product she wanted ended a few days ago and she no longer wants it but still argues that she should be getting the special anyway. She proceeds to pay and her credit card is not working. She tries her debit card but forgot her pin number. Then she counts the money she has in her wallet only to see that she doesn't have enough so the cashier has to re-do the transaction all over again making sure the lady has enough to pay for it all. By that time, the people who were behing you in the other line have already paid and gone...

It never fails every time I'm in a hurry!

Yes yes...and to add to this when it is finally your turn they plop up the "this till is closed" sign .... tell you to go to the next till please and go on a f***ing coffee break :icon_evil:

Yes yes...and to add to this when it is finally your turn they plop up the "this till is closed" sign .... tell you to go to the next till please and go on a f***ing coffee break :icon_evil:

Hahaha lol

Or how about when it's your turn to pay they decide it's time for them to make a deposit... Call the manager over, count the money, sign the deposit slip, etc. At the same time they decide they need change too so they ask for that at the same time... 10 minutes later you can finally pay for your 2-3 items... Haaaarrrrrrg!!!

Hahaha lol

Or how about when it's your turn to pay they decide it's time for them to make a deposit... Call the manager over, count the money, sign the deposit slip, etc. At the same time they decide they need change too so they ask for that at the same time... 10 minutes later you can finally pay for your 2-3 items... Haaaarrrrrrg!!!

And on the change topic Gabriella....in a just a few years now ;) when you approach retirement age sweetie ...please please PLEASE don't get a change purse and pay for everything with nickles, dimes, quarters and exact change !!!!!!!

Ie....

"That will be 12 dollars and 35 cents Maam."

"Here I think I have enough change here sonny !!! Let me just dig through my tickle trunk here and find my change purse.....ohhh there it is" Then counts it all out ... is 5 cents short and then hands over a freakin fifty dollar bill !

And on the change topic Gabriella....in a just a few years now ;) when you approach retirement age sweetie ...please please PLEASE don't get a change purse and pay for everything with nickles, dimes, quarters and exact change !!!!!!!

Ie....

"That will be 12 dollars and 35 cents Maam."

"Here I think I have enough change here sonny !!! Let me just dig through my tickle trunk here and find my change purse.....ohhh there it is" Then counts it all out ... is 5 cents short and then hands over a freakin fifty dollar bill !

As always, you crack me up, Lee!

But let me say that my granny purse will never hold enough change for when I go out to buy your granpa diapers, honey... I'll be glad to take your $50s for that icon10.gif (amongst other things lol)!