Chat room video got a upgrade!

We have been testing it for a few days now and it's working well. The video resolution in the chat has received a HUGE resolution boost and the cams look 100 times better in my opinion. We still have that nasty login problem where it sometimes takes 3 or 4 tries to get into the room but once your in the room it seams to be pretty stable now. Let me know if anyone has any problems with the video or the chat.

Guest f***2f***
We have been testing it for a few days now and it's working well. The video resolution in the chat has received a HUGE resolution boost and the cams look 100 times better in my opinion. We still have that nasty login problem where it sometimes takes 3 or 4 tries to get into the room but once your in the room it seams to be pretty stable now. Let me know if anyone has any problems with the video or the chat.

Yeah the log in problem is a real pain...took me almost half an hour to get in last night and then just as I was about to give up it let me in. There doesn't seem to be any ryhme or reason for it, it's just really quirky.

Really enjoying the chat though and some of the lovely ladies on cam is fun too.:mrgreen:

That is the problem.... no ryhme or reason and we have tried over and over to figure it out with no luck. The company who makes the chat has pretty much said spend another 2grand with us and we will fix the problem so maybe later this year we will have it in the budget to do this. It is frustrating and it even locks me out at times... never for 30 minutes... at most it takes me 4 tries to get in.

Guest f***2f***

another little glitch that others have told me happens to them is in shout. sometimes it won't take my comments at all. Other times it will let me post 3 or 4 comments and then won't let me shout anymore at all. esoterica said he had the same problem this am. I thought it was cause i went to mac but I don't think so. It's just quirky too.

I love both features; chat and shout.

The shout box is AJAX based (Java) - it is suppose to refresh in real time like a chat window but that feature crashes the server so I had to remove it.

It can be quarky on some people's computers (and it does not work well on our MAC G4 we have here for testing - it's ok in firefox but nothing else on the mac) ...

On a PC if you change your IE settings or do not have a up to date java installed on your computer it could have problems too...

The biggest problem we see is when the site get's really busy (or the server is doing the daily backup) the box actually causes some MySQL connection errors and some server load issues. I think the plug in was written poorly but no other plug-in exists like it so we must take the good with the bad for now until we find something better.

The shout box is AJAX based (Java) - it is suppose to refresh in real time like a chat window but that feature crashes the server so I had to remove it.

AJAX usually refers to Javascript i.e Asynchronous Javascript And XML.

I've given up hope of using Safari/Camino/SeaMonkey/Opera on Cerb. Either Shout doesn't work or I get problems trying to get on Chat.

Sorry, I should have said Javascript and I said Java (The chat does run off tomcat java server and flash - with a flash media server).

I have tried with safari/opera etc... and they all suck on a mac (for many sites) even IE for MAC is painful at best (hell it's painful on a PC) so I use firefox for my MAC and the PC as well as my LINUX (Ubuntu) machine. It's almost exactly the same on all three systems and it works the best on most sites. I don't really have problems with any of them in firefox.

Guest f***2f***

thanks for the tip....it seems that when i use firefox it works a little better but safari not at all.

I love mac's (Especially now that they are INTEL based) as I prefer the UNIX environment over the messy windows/dos environment and a mac is essentially unix based system but safari is a love/hate relationship.

Safari is great cause it's fast but that comes at a price as it only likes really well written code (This is the sacrifice for the speed) - unfortunately most websites are not STRICT XHTML complaint so it does not do well on many sites.

Firefox, IE and even crome are much more tolerant for crappy written web pages and bad scripts

IE (on a PC at least) will try to display almost anything you give it and usually it interprets the page well. The downfall is the code for IE is huge (that is why it takes so long to load web pages compared to firefox and safari.

On a PC some of IE is preloaded as I beleive it uses the windows explorer core to run so when you click the "Big blue E" on the PC it opens fast (Faster than firefox) and since it comes as the default browser on PC's as well so many people prefer it still to this day. If I am in a real rush to look something up and I do not have a firefox window open already I click the bad blue E myself at times! (I know - it's a bad habit but sometimes I am very impatient)

This bulky code that allows IE to interpret bad web page code makes the browser slower when loading pages. Firefox has much of the same code (Probably written a little better and more optimized however) but it to tries to display pretty much any website code you throw at it... it does have less overhead however so it makes firefox a little quicker when loading pages.

When I switch from MAC to PC to LINUX it's the same pretty much so it's familiar on all platforms.

At least we do not need to deal with netscape anymore!!

On a side note... do we have any Ubuntu/fedora/linux users here? I always installed linux on my out or date computers and all the servers run fedora but last year I installed UBUNTU on a core2duo machine with a nice 3d graphics card and I LOVE the Beyrl/compiz Fusion transitions. They really do blow the doors off Vista. Anyone interested have a peak at this... it's not my desktop but it's similar and if gives you a good idea of what the UBUNTU OS is like (and it's free!)

Compiz Development Video (You Tube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ImW0-MgR8I

On a side note... do we have any Ubuntu/fedora/linux users here?

I use Ubuntu and Knoppix but not for browsing cerb. Compiz doesn't run on my 4 years old laptop due to driver problems.

I'm pretty much a Mac head now including using an iPhone. Do browse cerb on the iPhone. The mobile edition works well although i would like Chat on it. having no video on the iPhone is fine.

Edited by etasman2000
additional info

Will the iphone run flash apps? It's safari based right? I have been curious how it works on the iphone. The mobile version needs some work but I do like it on my palm.

Guest i***k***

I run Ubuntu on a file server at home, not the desktop version but I was very impressed with the ease of install and its rock solid nature. I may setup something on my desktop and play around but I'm currently messing with Windows 7.

Isn't everything about computers quirky? The guys in the '60's that designed this stuff were doing so in a pretty messed up world, computers reflect their abstract thinking!

The chat login problems are really just a security measure, to keep the not so serious curious people out; only the serious diehards can get in!

Will the iphone run flash apps? It's safari based right? I have been curious how it works on the iphone. The mobile version needs some work but I do like it on my palm.

it runs safari but there is no embedded flash plugin. however isn't part of Chat a Java applet ?

is there a link to Chat in the mobile website by which i can try it out ?

am waiting for Palm Pre

No, the chat is flash only and the back end is a tomcat server (Server side Java not javascript). You need the flash plugin to get into chat. Good news is the Iphone flash player is made already by Adobe and is just waiting approval from apple from the looks of it (http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/09/adobe-confirms.html)

OK maybe I still have a bit of geek left in me, this looks very cool I am going to have to try ot myself!! Have a few ideas for it indeed.

On a side note... do we have any Ubuntu/fedora/linux users here? I always installed linux on my out or date computers and all the servers run fedora but last year I installed UBUNTU on a core2duo machine with a nice 3d graphics card and I LOVE the Beyrl/compiz Fusion transitions. They really do blow the doors off Vista. Anyone interested have a peak at this... it's not my desktop but it's similar and if gives you a good idea of what the UBUNTU OS is like (and it's free!)

Compiz Development Video (You Tube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ImW0-MgR8I

The resolution of the chat video is great now! Thanks MOD....

Yup thanks alot 4 the enhancements. For some reason the "resolution" is even better when the chat room mods aren't around lol.

Are you saying the Mod is a lurker. LoL

Hmm.... Somehow I think that Mod is ..alwayas.. around <wink> :shock: