Very Scary Stuff...

It's been my experience that this already has been going on "quietly" for some time. Almost a year ago I was departing Toronto (Lester B. Pearson, YYZ) on an international flight and the inbound aircraft was seized by the US department of Homeland Security. I well recognize their uniforms but I had to do a "double take" and "remember" I was still in Canada (it wasn't a flight arriving from or departing to the US by the way, but did fly though US air space on both arrival and departure). I found it disturbing as there was at least 10 of them and they did not appear to be assisted at all by Canadian authorities and my outbound flight was delayed some 12 hours before they decided to release the aircraft. The flight crew apologized for the delay but offered no explanation. Still no idea what it was all about but there were no Canadian authorities to be seen, just US Homeland Security Officers.

It is disturbing, we aren't the 51st state, we are a sovereign nation

If someone flees U.S. jurisdiction by coming to Canada, then the U.S. should utilize the extradition process, not have U.S cops coming up here like it's a wild west show. What sort of accountability will they have Will the U.S reciprocate and allow Canadian police to go into the U.S with the powers of a U.S peace officer.

Don't like it

RG

• Like 1

Be very afraid. This is a terrible idea. The next thing you know, you'll have U.S. agents (the worst agencies: a tie between ATF and DEA) kicking in doors and terrorizing folks in the dead of night. The unmanned drones, which I read somewhere are soon going to be allowed for use by even county and city PD'S in the States, will be flying over Canada.

The aforementioned surveillance drones could have a very nefarious purpose indeed. Some day as I drive happily homeward after indulging in the hobby, I'll be taken out with a sidewinder missile. All because I broke U.S. law whilst in Canada. Well, I was trying to be serious when I started, but you get my point.

• Like 1

Wow, unbelievable. I'm all for working together with American authorities to protect the border and stop smuggling illegal substances.

But this is crazy...

You must understand that this is "active pursuit."

It doesn't mean that the FBI will be flying in to Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto or anywhere else - it means that if a suspect is fleeing justice and "runs" the border, US police will be able to pursue that vehicle without having to stop at a customs booth.... and it will go both ways. If the RCMP or OPP or whomever is pursuing a suspect and that suspect crosses the US border, Canadian police will be able to continue to pursue unimpeded by US customs.

If you step back and realize that the intent is to stop US criminals from entering Canada and vice versa, it is a lot more palatable. I would rather see them catch a bad guy near the border than have to pay to keep a US criminal in our system for YEARS fighting extradition and using our legal system against us.