Reputation point system - faq

Should "Who left reputation" be anonymous or not?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should "Who left reputation" be anonymous or not?

• No, I want to see who left me reputation.
    • Yes, Hide it

- WORK IN PROGRESS -

I AM STILL WORKING OUT THE BUGS!

This is a WORK in PROGRESS your points MAY GO UP AND DOWN while we figure this one out but I do think we have the right settings now.

I am trying to IRON OUT THE BUGS... consider it a BETA TEST PROGRAM.

HOW IT WORKS: when you AGREE with someones post you ADD to that persons reputation (The amount you add to that persons reputation is based on how many rep points you have - the more bars you have the more you can impart others reputation as you would be seen as a trusted member) when you DISAGREE with someones post that can remove a tiny bit of the other persons reputation away from that person (about 1/2 of what you have the power to give someone).

Now we have all have been fooling around with it (Especially dummpy and a few others) and when I had the wrong info typed in it accidently gave dummpy the power to really impact people's reps (This was all REMOVED and all users account were FIXED and adjusted).

• Like 1

I think the rep points should be annoymous. Because if you give some one a negative review it could start a big fight.

I think the postive ones should be the same.:???::???:

Now we have all have been fooling around with it (Especially dummpy and a few others) and when I had the wrong info typed in it accidently gave dummpy the power to really impact people's reps (This was all REMOVED and all users account were FIXED and adjusted).

I had to laugh about that one, Sir Dummpy could also noted as a "shit disturber" cause he likes greek, he has the power....(only joking) ..but I'm sure it will cost me a point....

butt..had to get that one in there!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

• Like 2

I think the rep points should be annoymous. Because if you give some one a negative review it could start a big fight.

I think the postive ones should be the same.:???::???:

Fair enough, I made it a poll and we can all vote (Majority wins). I started with it hidden and a number of people complained so lets make it a public vote.

P.S. I have made it clear that if anyone fights on cerb (including the chat room) they will be suspended from the site. If someone is abusing the reputation system they will also get suspended from the site.

If you feel the need to disagree with someone's post than please leave a comment to explain why you disagree. If someone disputed the reputation (suspects it is being abused) and asks me to look into it the first thing I am going to do is read the comments you made as to why you disagreed with that person on that post. If you are disagreeing just to lower a persons reputation (without a valid reason) that would be abusing the system and we don't want members here who would do this so your efforts will be for nothing and you will loose your cerb membership.

This rep thing is another fun thing for us to play with just like our profile walls and the interactive gallery, all these features are a ton of fun, as long as we don't take it too seriously! And ya I am a shit disturber!!

• Like 1

agree with me, and the nice thing is that you and I know it's a joke...I told you it cost me...somebody didn't like my comment..but I'm sure you and I are laughing:lol:

Exactly right, don't take it seriously folks:wink:

This rep thing is another fun thing for us to play with just like our profile walls and the interactive gallery, all these features are a ton of fun, as long as we don't take it too seriously! And ya I am a shit disturber!!

I am actually hoping that the reputation becomes more serious and not just something to play with. Remember everyone here is anonymous so having some way to give credibility is important. Sure the guys with 1000+ posts and the guys like cowboy who find all the b&s posts do not need the rep points as they are already trusted members but with the site gaining popularity it's something that is necessary or more shills and more fake negative comments will start showing up (and you need some credibility to beleive anything too good to be true or negative) it's something that these discussion boards lack. Some really trustworthy recommendations have come in from guys with only 3 or 4 posts... let them know you appreciate the recommendation and let others know that the recommendation was legit. It takes 2 seconds of your time to agree with the post and this way the high post count will not be the only indication of who can be trusted.

I am... Mod taking it seriously, gave some rep points to a couple of low posters that I agreed with their comments this week, along with some others well known posters but are low in points for some reason...I'm sharing my expressions:-D just like sharing my recommendations of lovely ladies:-D

I'm in my happy place:mrgreen:

I feel there are positive and negatives to both methodologies, IE, anonymous or not.

But for me I want to see who gave me what. If its positive, I appreciate it and want to know who agreed with me. If its negative, I really want to know who its from. If its from a respected memeber at CERB, then it will really make me think if my post was accurate or whether I was off base somehow.

The negative perspective to showing who gave the negative points is it could lead to the recipient of the negative points giving negative points to whoever gave them negative points out of spite. This sometimes happens on E-Bay, but then again, CERB isn't E-bay.

I think what's important, is for us to show appreciation for good posts but to really think twice before giving negative reputation. I don't think negative rep should be given just because we don't agree with a post but only in a case of extreme inaccuracy. For instance, if someone says the today's Sun girl is Hot because he like tall women, I shouldn't give him a negative rep just because I disagree with him as I prefer shorter women. I guess that's obvious thou lol. Handing out negative rep just because of minor disagreements in opinion would deter people from commenting.

Anyway, just my opinion. (please don't give me negative rep if you disagree with me)

• Like 3

That is why the reputation system is now backed with a WEIGHT system. The MORE reputation you have the more your VOTE (Agree/disagree) will impact the person you agree or disagree with. New members (25 posts or less) or members with LOW reputation WILL NOT impact your reputation level (they can agree or disagree and you will see the notes but that will not impact your level in any way).

• Like 1

Hahaha, yes! I agree wholeheartedly. :-P

Lets say i give say, a negative or positive rep point and he pms me and he asks y or sends a thanyou for the rep point on the positive side.

I would prefer not to know who gave me the neg or pos. rep points.

I just think that this couild be a hurtful situation in some ways, because some of the people on here may be in fragile mind on here.:shock::-o

I think the rep points is a great way to show appreciation for giving a good reco or information that could not be found. As for negative, Yes show who gave it, you should have the balls to say why you took points away! We are adults not highschool kids! We will not be offended and I would like it if someone would tell me if I did something bad and learn from the negative respons!

That's just me!

Apex

• Like 1

I feel there are positive and negatives to both methodologies, IE, anonymous or not.

But for me I want to see who gave me what. If its positive, I appreciate it and want to know who agreed with me. If its negative, I really want to know who its from. If its from a respected memeber at CERB, then it will really make me think if my post was accurate or whether I was off base somehow.

The negative perspective to showing who gave the negative points is it could lead to the recipient of the negative points giving negative points to whoever gave them negative points out of spite. This sometimes happens on E-Bay, but then again, CERB isn't E-bay.

I think what's important, is for us to show appreciation for good posts but to really think twice before giving negative reputation. I don't think negative rep should be given just because we don't agree with a post but only in a case of extreme inaccuracy. For instance, if someone says the today's Sun girl is Hot because he like tall women, I shouldn't give him a negative rep just because I disagree with him as I prefer shorter women. I guess that's obvious thou lol. Handing out negative rep just because of minor disagreements in opinion would deter people from commenting.

Anyway, just my opinion. (please don't give me negative rep if you disagree with me)

i couldnt give you a point for this{as you have to spread them out and i have already given you one} so i'm sharing my support. I agree with you. One must think before you give any points....

kisses,

Emma A

Lets say i give say, a negative or positive rep point and he pms me and he asks y or sends a thanyou for the rep point on the positive side.

I just think that this couild be a hurtful situation in some ways, because some of the people on here may be in fragile mind on here.:shock::-o

I can disable this if you wish in your CP only so that you can never see who gave you rep (or took some away) - If you don't want to see it that is fine but keep in mind that if you agree/disagree with a post your comments will show (well as long as this poll continues to show the way it is now). So when you post a comment (if you choose to) just be diplomatic in your comment and be truthful.

Actually MOD, could it be a user selectable option ? That might help as well. If you don't want to see them, then click here...

As to not showing your agreement/disagremment, well now we get into the Bell call displayn fiasco, not sure we want to got there...

I can disable this if you wish in your CP only so that you can never see who gave you rep (or took some away) - If you don't want to see it that is fine but keep in mind that if you agree/disagree with a post your comments will show (well as long as this poll continues to show the way it is now). So when you post a comment (if you choose to) just be diplomatic in your comment and be truthful.

Originally Posted by E.D. man

I just think that this couild be a hurtful situation in some ways, because some of the people on here may be in fragile mind on here.

with the points not being annonymous people are already calling people out on threads. I believe that they should be annoymous or get rid of the rep points completely.

If you give some one a negative point its going to cause conflict as it has already.

On one thread by me.

mod DROP THE REP POINTS OR HIDE THE GIVING THEM NEGATIVE OR POSTIVE.

E.D. man may have a point. (See below.)

The MOD may have, with the very best of intentions, opened a rather large (and perhaps rather difficult to stew and cook to everyone's taste) kettle of fish with the new rep points system here.

Personally, I don't care too much one way or the other. This web site is very useful, to a degree, for my personal requirements. I've been an eager participant herein in a number of ways here and enjoy when what’s happening on CERB is working and is fun as a forum for exchange about sexuality and sexual views at every level.

However, we have to remember, I think, that it is after all, just a web site where (mostly) middle-aged and (mostly) middle-class clients who (mostly) have (IMHO) rather boring, rigid and fragile sex lives (I'm not saying I don't - lol), often just verbally rumble on about what great studs they are and try to make contact with and comment upon various (usually younger) women who are currently working in some aspect of the urban sex trade.

As for rep, glad if some participants think my comments are useful or honest, which they are intended to be in both cases and I hope are, but I don't really care too much in the long run who gives or takes "rep points" from me, though I sincerely appreciate all those who've personally (mostly via PM) given me positive feedback here.

My overall view, is that if, despite a great deal of work by MOD, as the whole "rep points" process, not matter how well-intended or potentially useful, seems to be upsetting to some members here, maybe it's time to drop "rep points" altogether, especially if some participants here place too high a value on what may be a rather uncertain and ephemeral system of, at-best, illusory esteem.

Just my proverbial two-cents worth.

with the points not being annonymous people are already calling people out on threads. I believe that they should be annoymous or get rid of the rep points completely.

If you give some one a negative point its going to cause conflict as it has already.

On one thread by me.

mod DROP THE REP POINTS OR HIDE THE GIVING THEM NEGATIVE OR POSTIVE.

• Like 2

Dudes, lets just see how this works for a while. The points being raised are well thought out, but mostly theoretical.

The Mod ... who seems like a resonable and sober fellow (smile) ... can turn the whole thing off if things get out of hand.

I am seeing problems with the rep system already. My preference would be that you can only get positive rep and whether or not it's hidden wouldn't matter. Kinda sticks with the principle of the board in the first place - no negative reviews, only recommendations.

If I disapprove with what somebody says, I'll either make a counter point in the thread or just ignore it altogether. Seems reasonable to me. The way it is now, I've seen someone go back to a week old thread that hadn't been bumped, gave me a disapproval for a simple difference of opinion on a subject that had nothing to do with the industry, and then not a day later complained about people doing the same to him. I could be a dick and go back to counter disapprove, but that's pretty infantile ;)

I won't poo-poo the concept as a whole, but by the time someone new figures out what those 'power' bars are next to their name, they'll probably have read enough posts to realize whose opinion is worth a lick of salt anyhow. The vast majority of regular posters continually have some fantastic input, and there's only the odd few I don't care much for what they have to say, so I pay them no mind. And having a billion rep points won't change that either...

• Like 2

It sounds like there's confusion over what the rep points represent. As Cumquat said above, the points should be about recognizing quality content or chastising inappropriate content, and not about whether or not you agree with the post. In this vein, perhaps part of the problem is the wording on the form. Approve/Disapprove will sound a lot like Agree/Disagree, especially to less experienced users...I've done some work on user interfaces, and it always amazes me how hard people work at ignoring instructions... :-)

Perhaps the wording on the form could be changed to something along the lines of "High Quality Content"/"Inappropriate Content" (or something to that effect)?

• Like 1