Reputation point system - faq

Should "Who left reputation" be anonymous or not?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should "Who left reputation" be anonymous or not?

• No, I want to see who left me reputation.
    • Yes, Hide it

Guest W***ledi*Time

Perhaps the wording on the form could be changed to something along the lines of "High Quality Content"/"Inappropriate Content" (or something to that effect)?

Right on. Excellent suggestion.

I would agree that a rewording may help with clarifying purpose, but unfortunately I also agree with Caveman's experience with people ignoring instructions! "Let's see, it says type in 'YES' or 'NO'. Hmmm, I'll put 'THURSDAY'."

Thankfully that's the minority....right???

I think that the negative rep points are to be reserved for shill posters and people who pop on the site to cause trouble, it is a warning to the rest of us that this person probably has dishonorable intentions. Anything else is a add or ignore situation. The place were I think the rep points might not be needed is on the main page top 10 list, this is redundant as the top ten rep users are already going to be trusted sources and it may just make the other 100+ strong contributors a little resentful. My 2 cents worth.

I think your name should always show up, it makes cerb members accountable when giving rep points to anyone.

• Like 1

1) New members can not effect your reputation level.

2) I agree, the front page may be redundant, just using it to launch this new feature so we can really see if it will be used properly and become helpful. Again, I see potential let's give it a try and see if we can iron out the bugs.

3) Shill rep points would be backed out. If you suspect this please PM me and I will review and remove if necessary.

Can i cash in air miles for rep points ? Seriously though, let's live with it for a while and see how it works the mod's been tweeking away at it for a while now and it seems like there are measures in place to avoid abuse. I do agree with dummpy about the front page, if anything just because it truncates the latest posts column. I also agree with PrettyPaige, that there needs to be some form of accountability, otherwise it could get messy.

As always, thanks mod for this new feature and your efforts

with the points not being annonymous people are already calling people out on threads.

I must have missed these threads. Can you PM me some links to these threads so I can review them.

If you find a thread like this just click the "REPORT POST" icon report.gif to flag the post for a MODERATOR to review it.

The problem is not the negative rep points, the problem is people abusing them. They are not meant to be given just because someone disagrees with your post. I was given negative just because I didn't share the same opinion as the person who created the thread, some people think their opinion is always right and don't want to hear anything different. The negative rep points are meant to be used with care not just because someone had a different opinion than you. If you aren't giving out reputation points for unneccessary reasons then it shouldn't matter that they aren't annoymous. Negative rep should be used for posts that are shills, or innappropriate, not just because someone doesn't share the same idea as you. This is a board, and if you open a topic for discussion you should be an adult and able to handle the fact that not everyone is going to agree with you.

Yes agreed my friend but then it comes down to a judgment as to what is inappropriate and that is basically an opinion where someone is either once again agreeing or disagreeing with the person or their post. Say one thinks something is inappropriate but the other doesn?t. Now who is right and who is wrong? We all have varying degrees of what is acceptable, especially in this industry. If one thinks a post is inappropriate then they are not agreeing with the person, right? lol it is boggling.

Yes agreed my friend but then it comes down to a judgment as to what is inappropriate and that is basically an opinion where someone is either once again agreeing or disagreeing with the person or their post. Say one thinks something is inappropriate but the other doesn?t. Now who is right and who is wrong? We all have varying degrees of what is acceptable, especially in this industry. If one thinks a post is inappropriate then they are not agreeing with the person, right? lol it is boggling.

Actually, Brandi, here's a great example of disagreement without being inappropriate. I disagree with inapparopriate being the same as disagreement! :-) But the way you expressed yourself was not in any kind of inappropriate manner.

Another example: say you posted "Sex with men is fun!". Again, I would disagree personally :-), but that is a perfectly appropriate post, so I shouldn't be adding "Disapprove" rep points.

• Like 1

I agree with you 100% on this Paige. This will help prevent any members from acting with malicious intent. It'll keep the rep points honest and fair.

I think your name should always show up, it makes cerb members accountable when giving rep points to anyone.
  • Like 1

with a comment as well, I agree with their post, click the scale and send them points and a comment, there is no use/reason to hide behind sending points. So great point (s) Paige! ;)

I have been thinking of something similar to that myself actually. Like some type of feedback system where you could acknowledged the SP like a "vote for me if I am your favorite sp" or something like that... and the vote shows as a popularity level meter or something... but I am afraid it could be abused to easily.

Well, I will keep it in the back of my head and anyone that has suggestions let them fly!

Guest W***ledi*Time
I was just trying to think of another way to give rep points to SPs that do contribute to the board by advertising and providing services, but don't necessarily do a lot of posts other than ads.

Well, I will keep it in the back of my head and anyone that has suggestions let them fly!

When a member feels a SP has contributed in this way, couldn't the member just use the existing rep point system -- and simply "approve" one of the SP's posted advertisements? Although the motivation for the approval wouldn't really be based on the one single ad that the points are being attached to, wouldn't this have the desired effect, if I'm reading the discussion right? No change in the system required?

The same would go for awarding rep points to a member who has contributed to the board through participation in chat, or any other reason. Just because the points are "technically" added through approval of specific postings, does not mean that we need to be hung up on the narrow idea that approvals can only be "right" if their motivation "matches" the one post that they get attached to. (To avoid confusion on the part of the recipient of the points, the comment attached to the approval can point out what it is for, if it is not motivated by the single post itself).

Such a "philosophy" of rep points would allow the legitimate expression of an appreciation for any member's contribution to the CERB community -- no matter what the form of that contribution, be it either general or specific. Which is what reputation is really all about in the first place, yes?

My 2 cents.

Thanks... so it brings us back to a earlier suggestion... we need a way to give rep points to someone without clicking the scale or nominating the posts. If we had a tool that could be put into a directory of ladies on here and would allow each member to add reputation to the ladies this could work... something to consider anyway.

So how about a member does a rec on a SP/MA. The grading system on the rec system.....gives the SP/MA some points based on their total recommendation...

example- 80-85%- automatic delivers the SP/MA- 10 points

example- 85-90%- automatic delivers the SP/MA -15 points

example- 90-95%- automatic delivers the SP/MA- 20 points

Just throwing it out there.

That should be possible... will have to run it past the thinktank and see if it's something we can do.

I do find this a little scary (SP rating system) because I want to be nice to ALL the ladies but I will not give them all the highest marks. This could cause bad feeling and the SP's are already not happy with the scale of 10 rating's I don't think this will be any help. It is easier just to say nice things about them and if you want to visit with one of them take some time and read what others have said.

Good point Dummpy. Here is a idea... How about a RECOMMEND ME button on her profile (or something like that) and when a member (say with XX number of posts or XX reputation) clicks the button it adds to her profile (Recommended by XX number of cerb members). If she has 0 recommendations it could say "Be the first to recommend me to other cerb members - Click Here" or something like that. It would encourge the ladies to be more active on the site for sure and if we had a post count and a reputation count limit it would stop any SHILL recommendations as well.

This would avoid anything negative about the ladies and we could probably have a page that says "I was recommended by ....." and list the members who recommended her to others.

Or should we scrap the idea all together? Would love to hear from the ladies on this one too...

If the ladies don't chime in within the next week or so, go with scraping the idea all together. In some sense however it is done, some ladies would have their feelings hurt, so rather then that just leave it all status quo.

Are you having any issues with the recommendation section from ladies Mod?

A page that says "I was recommended by..." is pretty much the same as their recommendation in the recommendation section where people add to that list with further recommendations.

Maybe just an automatic 25-50 points for an SP for having a recommendation thread posted about them. Then an auto 10-15 points for every subsequent recommendation on that thread. The same amount of points given to the hobbiest that posts the recommendations. This would give the SP rep points for contributing to the community and would maybe encourage hobbiests that don't normally do recommendations to write some if they receive the rep points too. It encourages someone to be the first person to TOFTT and write a recommendation because they receive a larger amount of points.

I think there is a lot of value in this concept, needs some polishing to automate it but definitely on the right track, not sure about the points balance either as we are setting 100 as gold standard and with this kind of point accumulation I can see several members hitting 1000 very fast, maybe more like 5 and 3?

Are you having any issues with the recommendation section from ladies Mod?

Yes, I was having a problem with some. Some of the ladies did not like the ratings for hygiene and atmosphere. I was even getting complaints from ladies with 9/10 rating and 10/10 ratings. I don't want to have anything on the site that is going to discourage the ladies from participating here so it was just better to remove the ratings all together.

The recommendation section is suppose to be seen as a positive for the ladies but anyone can post a recommendation so we do get SHILL recommendations (Not a lot but I have removed some of these since we started the recommendation section).

That may be an idea... should we make it so that everyone can READ the recommendations but only those with a certain LEVEL of posts and or reputation can POST a recommendation? We have a lot of FIRST TIME posters making recommendations and maybe that is where the problem is. We want to encourage the new members to participate and a lot of them have made good recommendations but the FAKE ones are often easy to pick out as they are NEW members with LOW post counts.

Guest W***ledi*Time
The same amount of points given to the hobbiest that posts the recommendations.

I would prefer that recommendations could not be motivated by any desire of the hobbiest to gain rep points for himself.

My 2 cents.

Guest W***ledi*Time
should we make it so .... only those with a certain LEVEL of posts and or reputation can POST a recommendation?

Just a friendly reminder that restricting recommendation-making to only those posters with a certain level of reputation might put non-Ottawa forums in a bind, since rep points are pretty scarce outside of Ottawa.

I would prefer that recommendations could not be motivated by any desire of the hobbiest to gain rep points for himself.

My 2 cents.

I see where your coming from on this... and I agree. Nothing should influence people to post recommendations other than a great experience that they want to share with others.